You are not logged in.

#1 29-08-04 01:28:07

jonks

Hyundai Getz

Do you use a Hyundai Getz?

If so, tell us what you think about the car...

Pro's and cons of using the car for instruction.

What model do you use? (Eg. 1.4 Diesel)

How much does it cost to run?

29-08-04 01:28:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Hyundai Getz

#2 30-06-05 22:58:54

Den

Whats your opinion on the Getz?  have you heard of any problems with reliability?  looks like you get a lot of car for a  little money, and a 5 year warranty, but wondering if the pupils will go for them.
Den

#3 01-07-05 06:46:05

Ozzie

A 5 year UNLIMITED MILEAGE warranty at that too!

I must admit I am geting a bit curious too

Oz

#4 01-07-05 13:00:37

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Beautiful little car, see a few ADIs with them they say they are great and pupils love them.

Only niggles are the name -  "GETZ" for freaks sake!

And the indicators are on the right hand "correct" side of the steering column.

Its on my "to test" list for October.

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#5 01-07-05 17:55:22

NOLU

I have had a Getz for 8 months now, smashing car, pupils love it, great vision gear box is so easy to use. Only minor hitch is the indicator on the "wrong" side, but they soon get used to it. Recommend it to any one

#6 02-07-05 11:06:04

Rookie
Website

What,s the MPG? 42/43????

Nice looking car, rear head restraints may block a bit of vision?

"Look at the whole picture before you judge". "Judge oneself before you judge the Judger"..... The Rookster.Nov 05

#7 02-07-05 13:52:21

Den

had a test drive in a 1.1cdx model today. car drove ok enough power for our job. the interior put me off, didn't like the long black plastic from the steering wheel to the bottom of windsceeen.  it's big inside,  the gear change was lovely, and a great spec, but just didn't like the interior.  its a shame that, there a bargain at the price they sell them at.
Den

#8 02-07-05 14:12:48

Rookie
Website

sim to Getz Den is the,
smart car 5 door four four two, great car. Tidy, bit plastic in cab but nice and real great looker good feel. Sexy car.

"Look at the whole picture before you judge". "Judge oneself before you judge the Judger"..... The Rookster.Nov 05

#9 02-07-05 19:27:40

Wooly

Used to have the Getz 1.1 GSi. Very easy to drive, quite comfy, good economy, lots of places for books, maps, sweets, fags etc, vision ok if you remove the mattress sized n/s head rest. Dealers were great.
5 main probs:-
1. Indicators on the right, especially if pup is driving a different car between lessons.
2. The 1.1 engine is difficult to stop Kangarooing at walking pace in first gear esp in heavy traffic. Other owners I spoke to had this prob and I even took a new one on test from Hyundai and it was the same.
3. Duals only come in cable variety (Cant slave the pedals).
4 Ok so I know its not a porsche but oh man, is it gutless or what???
5. Absolutley zero street cred with trendier (or "chavvier"?) pups. They see the badge and hate it before they even touch the door handle. Once they get behind the wheel, most of  'em start to like it. If it had a Ford badge on it they would love the car.
If only Hyundai would change those p*xy indicators....

#10 02-07-05 19:46:31

Wooly

Used to have the Getz 1.1 GSi. Very easy to drive, quite comfy, good economy, lots of places for books, maps, sweets, fags etc, vision ok if you remove the mattress sized n/s head rest. Dealers were great.
1. Indicators on the right, especially if pup is driving a different car between lessons.
2. The 1.1 engine is difficult to stop Kangarooing at walking pace in first gear esp in heavy traffic. Other owners I spoke to had this prob and I even took a new one on test from Hyundai and it was the same.
5. Absolutley zero street cred with trendier (or "chavvier"?) pups. They see the badge and hate it before they even touch the door handle. Once they get behind the wheel, most of  'em start to like it. If it had a Ford badge on it they would love the car.

#11 02-07-05 19:46:57

Wooly

#12 03-07-05 10:55:13

Rookie
Website

Thanks Wooly, I don't want a car that Kangeroos in first gear peep/creep!!  sad

ERR u keep repeatin yer posts 3 times?   roll

#13 03-07-05 14:29:39

NOLU

Mine is a 1.3 GSI No probs with kangarooing at all. To peep & creep just lift clutch slowly with NO gas and move away smooth & slow

#14 04-07-05 12:33:44

Wooly

Oops. Sorry about that. Worse than the BBC.
I think its only the 1.1 that kangaroos, the diesel and the 1.3 seem ok.
Its didnt happen when you pull away, just when you try to hold the car at about 1500rpm in first. Suddenly it will jump forward then slow back down. You dont notice it normally, but it shows up in traffic and the turn in the road. DIA had the same prob with their 1.1 test car too.

#15 15-07-05 21:06:49

Anonymous

Test drove the Getz 1.3 a few days ago in Cardiff. Very impressed. The salesman let me have it for an hour and I went out alone. It gave me a chance to try manoeuvres etc and drive on a fast dual carriageway. A very nice car - but again I didn't like the plasticky interior. I am also planning to test-drive a Honda Jazz, Skoda Fabia and Seat Ibiza. Does anyone have any views on these? I test drove a Nissan Micra today but the salesman only let me go out for about 12 mins and was very edgy about me staying safe! NOT IMPRESSSED with the "salesman"!  Do any dealers let you go out alone???

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#16 16-07-05 11:46:07

Orcharddrive
Verified Member
Website

I've got the Kia Picanto, which is basically the same car, as Kia is owned by Hyundai. The Picanto is built on the same chassis. Indicator on the left.
Had it from new in September. It's done 41500 miles without a fault, apart from the sidelight bulbs needing replacing, which Kia wants you to get the garage to do. You have to slacken the front bumper section and it's a bit fiddly, but you can do it yourself, as I have. Other than that, it's great. Kia only gives 3 years unlimited mileage warranty though. Driver and passenger airbags, side inpact bars, ABS with EBD, Air-Con, 5 doors, height adjustable steering column and seatbelts, on-the-road at £6250.
1.1 litre engine, 5 speed manual box. £20 of unleaded returns 250 miles.
No spare wheel at all, just like the mini, you get filler-foam. All in all, I'm happy.

Visit www.instructor.org.uk for free help and training guides on becoming a driving instructor.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#17 16-07-05 19:05:47

la.monikita
Verified Member

Orcharddrive wrote:

No spare wheel at all, just like the mini, you get filler-foam.

Very unlikely, but what happens when you get a blow out??? :shock:  :shock:

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#18 18-07-05 00:15:10

Rob
Verified Member
Website

Delta

Renault Cardiff let me test drive alone as did Victoria Park Fiat.

#19 18-07-05 00:15:56

Rob
Verified Member
Website

Delta

Renault Cardiff let me test drive alone as did Victoria Park Fiat.

#20 18-07-05 13:07:55

Anonymous

Hi Rob,
Thanks very much for that info. It seems strange that the local Nissan and Honda dealers won't let you go out alone (stating insurance problems as the reason) when other dealers will (eg the ones you quoted plus Hyundai). I have driven a Micra and a Honda Accord unaccompanied in London so I wonder what the differnce is here in Cardiff? Maybe they think we'll go off with the car? perhaps people have done that to them???

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#21 18-07-05 22:06:16

Dundeeguy
Verified Member

DELTASOM wrote:

Hi Rob,
Thanks very much for that info. It seems strange that the local Nissan and Honda dealers won't let you go out alone (stating insurance problems as the reason) when other dealers will (eg the ones you quoted plus Hyundai). I have driven a Micra and a Honda Accord unaccompanied in London so I wonder what the differnce is here in Cardiff? Maybe they think we'll go off with the car? perhaps people have done that to them???

If the car is on trade plates they won't let you out alone. If its not, then they "normally" let you out alone.

#22 19-07-05 22:29:01

Orcharddrive
Verified Member
Website

la.monikita wrote:
Orcharddrive wrote:

No spare wheel at all, just like the mini, you get filler-foam.

Very unlikely, but what happens when you get a blow out??? :shock:  :shock:

I use the free of charge, 3 years RAC breakdown service that comes with the car and get them to bring a tyre to me.  big_smile

Visit www.instructor.org.uk for free help and training guides on becoming a driving instructor.

#23 22-12-07 20:14:54

eli
Verified Member

Had mine since July only prob was the front brakes binding, original pads lasted 6001 miles but just on the driver side. Took it in to dealer got the usual "Oh that'll be the dual controls pressing on constantly" Put some decent pads in (QH).No prob now on 16692 miles and going well look for service deals when you buy timing belt service is £560 due at 50000 so got time to save me pennies I have 1.1 cdx yes its no porsche but with all the bells n whistles i can deal with that. Air con elec front and  rear windows elec mirrors pas alloys (slightly scuffed) well now they are 5 doors 3 x 3 point seat belts in the rear and legroom for any 6 ft person not bad for £8000

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger

#24 18-08-09 20:29:01

lloydie

Hi Guys,

I've recently qualified and bought a getz 1.1 CDX as my first teaching car, pretty much agree with your earlier comments - excellent little car, great visibility (just take out the rear headrests!), cheap as chips to run, nice little engine with lovely gearbox.

Ok so its not going to win the land speed record but when you put a boy racer in it and he can't speed if he wants to it makes up for it!!

I've not found the kangerooing problem tho????? - you can peep & creep no problems - i've met someone else with one (although its his personal car not a teaching car) who has the 1.1 gs version which also will not kangeroo - he's done over 120K in it without any issues (seeing as mines only got 25K on it i'll be happy for the same!)

At the end of the day i'm only just starting out & seeing as I picked up a low mileage 2004 model got the controls fitted + roofbox / years insurance / stickers / mirrors etc etc for less than £4500 - if it only DID last a year i'm still quids in and quite happy!

Board footer