You are not logged in.

#51 30-08-13 14:49:17

Evan
Administrator

Re: Bay parking.

Agree AUTAX but with all due respects there is also the attitude just wanting and doing enough to pass the test. We are driving around some people who quite frankly are a liability.

30-08-13 14:49:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#52 30-08-13 22:38:37

AUTAX
Verified Member

Here I am trying to contribute and get shot down for using the word ageist. Ok Old arthritic young arthritic middle aged arthritic or just plain lazy. Take your pick.

Evan, I do teach my youngsters to take effective all round observations whilst reversing. What they do after the test is up to them but so is a lot of their driving up to them post test.

Why is it some can dish out criticism but can't take it?

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#53 30-08-13 22:49:45

Evan
Administrator

Hi AUTAX the criticism was not aimed at you, I was speaking from personal experience, where you try to get the message across to some pupils who seem to only want to do just enough to pass a test.

#54 31-08-13 18:23:29

Evan
Administrator

Some posts have been deleted due to complaints.

The topic is bay parking any relevant posts to this topic are welcome.

#55 31-08-13 19:45:22

Maisiejayne

Back to the subject and i am going to try this way. I normally use roughly the centre of passenger door as my turning point. I am wondering if i used the same turning point as RRC ( as in small back window on bay line) and put full lock on would this work?

#56 31-08-13 20:16:23

AUTAX
Verified Member

You could try this method (there are many different ones so experiment!).  smile

Let's assume you have entered the car park and driving along with the empty bays to your right. Stop alongside of one with your shoulders in line with the middle of the bay. Turn full right lock and drive forward until you reach the bays opposite or the car is at roughly 45 degrees. Stop and turn the wheels beck straight. Select reverse. Looking out of the back window the rear pillar over your left shoulder should be covering the left side of the bay line. Checking in the left door mirror start to reverse turning the steering wheel to the left. As you get the back into the bay the car should be almost straight. Stop and at this point look at both sides of the car and see if the car is in between the lines. If it is then straiten the wheels and reverse in. If not then drive forward to the opposite bay straightening the car then reverse back.

Take your time, don't rush and experiment. Also buy a couple of bullseye mirrors from Ebay (Halfords are too dear) or angle the mirrors down if they are electric. You then will be able to see the rear wheels lining up with the bay lines. Use all means to get it right and eventually you're spacial awareness will takeover and reversing into a bay will be second nature. The trouble with people who struggle is because they don't persevere and they learn one method that works in the test centre but doesn't work in the local supermarket.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#57 01-09-13 09:17:08

(ROG)
Verified Member

AUTAX wrote:

You could try this method (there are many different ones so experiment!).  smile

Let's assume you have entered the car park and driving along with the empty bays to your right. Stop alongside of one with your shoulders in line with the middle of the bay. Turn full right lock and drive forward until you reach the bays opposite or the car is at roughly 45 degrees.

Bay on right then turn left .... yes?

This is the same easy way I descibed earlier in this thread

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#58 01-09-13 10:11:15

Triplea35
Verified Member

Autax, your description confuses me, never mind a learner!

You describe having empty bays to your right, driving alongside, lining up your shoulder to one, then turning to the RIGHT before reversing into a bay which was to your left, then if it doesn't go right driving forward into the empty bay on the right to straighten up. 

If the bays had been empty on both sides then the opposing bay method is surely the simplest/easiest method and virtually never needs correction.

I make a point of teaching the most appropriate method for the conditions in the car park.

You do not need any other reference points (lining up shoulder/door pillar etc) than you use when forward driving.

For opposing bay, the first line of the bay under the door mirror, for the 45 degree method the second line of the bay you intend to reverse into.

I teach the opposing bay method first in car parks with opposing bays, then with space opposite but no bays. Only skills required are driving forward putting full lock on and off and then straightline reversing with minor correction.

Once developed skills in RRC's, we move onto 45 degree bay parking and I take them to car parks where this is only possible. Far less confusing for the pupil than showing inappropriate methods for the space available!

Had a new pupil yesterday, already had a year of lessons. First thing he told me was his main concern was t hat he was just not consistent with bay parking. 'Can't see the lines' 'OK when cars in bays either side' 'Thought I HAVE to do it that way'

20 minutes in a car park, discussing and putting into practice alternative methods for each situation, the lad was grinning and am sure  was almost skipping when got out of the car!

#59 01-09-13 12:49:31

AUTAX
Verified Member

Aaarrrggghhh. Sorry guys. Total brain fade there. Please be tolerant. We are talking about practicing and not actual doing it for the umpteenth time as a seasoned bay parker. As for the getting left & rights mixed up well, yes, I should have re-read before posting but I was tired and needed an early night to be up early this morning.

Anyway, Maisiejayne, here is the corrected post.

Let's assume you have entered the car park and driving along with the empty bays to your left. Stop alongside of one with your shoulders in line with the middle of the bay. Turn full right lock and drive forward until you reach the bays opposite or the car is at roughly 45 degrees. Stop and turn the wheels back straight. Select reverse. Looking out of the back window the rear pillar over your left shoulder should be covering the left side of the bay line. Checking in the left door mirror start to reverse turning the steering wheel to the left. As you get the back into the bay the car should be almost straight. Stop and at this point look at both sides of the car and see if the car is in between the lines. If it is then straighten the wheels and reverse in. If not then drive forward to the bay opposite straightening the car then reverse back.

Take your time, don't rush and experiment. Also buy a couple of bullseye mirrors from Ebay (Halfords are too dear) or angle the mirrors down if they are electric. You then will be able to see the rear wheels lining up with the bay lines. Use all means to get it right and eventually you're spacial awareness will takeover and reversing into a bay will be second nature. The trouble with people who struggle is because they don't persevere and they learn one method that works in the test centre but doesn't work in the local supermarket.

As for driving into a an empty bay opposite, the bay opposite may not always be empty so whilst it is one way of doing it, don't rely totally on the fact that the bay will be empty. Sod's Law says it wont.

#60 01-09-13 16:51:12

sofasurfer
Verified Member

I teach people to use the 90 degree method because that's how you have to do it in most supermarket car parks. There isn't much room between lines of parking bays and as you cruise through the car park looking for somewhere, you are at 90 degrees to the bays on either side. In my opinion its also the easiest method.

#61 01-09-13 17:02:47

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
In real life its probably more important to teach how to drive forward into a bay between 2 cars and with another in the bay in front.
Thats what most are going to do anyway and seeing some of the appalling attempts in my local morrisons its obviously not taught lol
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#62 01-09-13 18:36:55

Triplea35
Verified Member

That's another benefit of teaching opposing bay method Peter. That's the first thing they learn smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#63 01-09-13 18:47:53

Triplea35
Verified Member

sofasurfer wrote:

I teach people to use the 90 degree method because that's how you have to do it in most supermarket car parks.

Do you understand any other methods?  Why do you HAVE to do the 90 degree method in most supermarket car parks? If you believe its the easiest I'd wager your pupils wouldn't agree if you taught them alternative methods rather than 'one size fits all'

#64 06-09-13 14:18:39

Maisiejayne

Thank you all for your replies and sugestions. We already have the bullseye on the wing mirrors they really do help.

Its all down to practice of course it is but its nice to get tips from others too. Everybody has been a learner at one time or another no matter how many years ago it was.

Last edited by Maisiejayne (06-09-13 14:21:14)

#65 10-09-13 22:50:03

Maisiejayne

Haha i didnt know they wasnt called wing mirrors, though i am a 44 year old brought up with older than usual parents who still call a radio a wireless LOL!!! Incidently what are they called side mirrors?  smile

#66 11-09-13 05:17:08

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

One of Darwin's "parkers" made the headlines in today's paper - see:
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2013/0 … tnews.html

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#67 12-09-13 02:24:29

Maisiejayne

Triker wrote:

Door mirrors is the term most ADI's use these days  smile

Ah thanks for that, showing my age there!

Board footer