You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 23-08-13 22:00:29

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Marrakech...

... Has anyone been? It's our vacation place of choice ths year and wondered if anyone had any gems we should see...

23-08-13 22:00:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Marrakech...

#2 24-08-13 08:54:21

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Please tell me you are not being serious...  roll

#3 24-08-13 08:54:37

ger
Verified Member
Website

hi chris I been go to djemaa el -fna in the night don't worry about the warning the hotels give about eating off the stalls use bread instead of the forks and drink bottle water get lost in the souks if you need to get out ask a shop keeper the way back to djemaa el- fna every thing goes off there badi palace is worth a look muse de Marrakech ,dr si said, if you want a hamman go to ksarchar-bagh  restaurants  try ia Kasbah ,terrasse des epices , kaar essaoussan  have a good time we did keep a open mind and don't forget to haggle the prices

ger

#4 24-08-13 19:19:38

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Went to Marrakech two years ago, fascinating place, but very alien.

In the resort, the locals were very friendly, but in the old town they were non stop hectoring!

Expect to be harangued by every seller and shop,keeper in sight, I was happy to just walk past and ignore them, but my wife felt quite intimidated.

Although most there speak,French, in the old town most of the street names are in Arabic only, it makes finding your way around difficult.
We were happy to just wander around on our own, but feel we probably missed a lot.

Booking a reliable guide in advance will enable you to see a lot more, at the expense of that bit of freedom. It will also keep the locals off your back.

Under no circumstances use one of the locals hanging. Around at the town entrance as a guide, they are nothing but trouble.

Use trip advisor to find good restaurants and bars.

When walking around the narrow streets near the souks, watch your backs, the locals ride mopeds around at crazy speeds and you,can't hear them coming from behind, they will not slow down for you!

Finally do not rent a car, the locals do not know what a driving instructor is, there is no,such thing there. The roads are lethal!

#5 24-08-13 20:49:16

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Life would be very boring if we didn't seek new experiences.

#6 24-08-13 22:27:34

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Marrakech roads sound like Darwin's roads.
Chris if you crave new experiences and excitement but the Marrakech trip doesn't eventuate, consider a trip to tropical Darwin, home of exotic & dangerous animals such as crocs, snakes, buffalo, spiders, lethal marine creatures, drunk drivers, and rednecks.
We have the worst drivers in the western world (the stats prove it!).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 28-08-13 21:32:53

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Triker wrote:
christhedrummer wrote:

Please tell me you are not being serious...  roll

Here we go with those rolling eyes of intolerance roll 

It would be a sick joke and I don't do sick jokes. You bury your head if want but I'm just stating the facts.

I don't make the news its there if you look for it. Our own press wont report it until it kicks off because they don't want to upset Islam and when Islam gets upset it gets violent because its such a tolerant and peaceful ideology. We can see that by what's happening in Syria!!

Of course it might not kick off so I do hope you have a great time  smile

I've taken yor advice and will stay in the UK and go to Northern ireland instead - nothing ever happens over there between 2 peaceful religions....!

Seriousy Triker, you sound like George Bush Junior. The whole world is evil, they want to kill us all. Rubbish. 99.9% or everyone in the world is peace loving. You will always have the minority of lunatics that get all the attention. Take the 7/7 bombing. Out of 60 million people in the UK, what percentage tried to blow us up? I can't even imagine how small the number is.

I for one love foreign countries and cultures. Doing this job I see and meet them every day and love talking about their homes, what they do, what it was like to grow up there etc and also their views on what's going on. They are equally as disgusted with the actions by some of their people as we are.

Maybe I'm from a different more open generation and haven't grown up with the prejudices that have abounded in the past - No blacks, no Irish, no jews etc. I love all the north african countries as they are so polar opposite to everything I've grown up with. My favourite has to be Libya (before the change of regime). It was one of the most fascinating places I've been to and possibly the nicest people I have met. Although the 50ft high posters of Colonel Gadaffi wearing sunglasses everywhere were a bit surreal at times.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on 'foreign countries'. I love the UK, it has to be one of the most diverse countries in the world both geographically and culturally, but I also appreciate getting lost in a foreign culture.

You stick with Blackpool on a rainy June afternoon with a soggy bag of fish and chips and I'll go to vibrant, bustling, sunny Morocco, with extravagant markets, sights and smells you find nowhere else, and the most entertaining / scary taxi rides you could ever wish for....

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 28-08-13 21:36:02

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Zipper wrote:

Chris if you crave new experiences and excitement but the Marrakech trip doesn't eventuate, consider a trip to tropical Darwin, home of exotic & dangerous animals such as crocs, snakes, buffalo, spiders, lethal marine creatures, drunk drivers, and rednecks.

My dad and 2 of my sisters have visited Darwin as we have relatives on my mothers side there. All of them loved the place, just a smidge too far to go for me at the moment....

#9 28-08-13 23:39:58

AUTAX
Verified Member

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#10 29-08-13 06:36:14

MGM
Verified Member

Zipper wrote:

Since when was Oz in the western world?

#11 29-08-13 08:42:00

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Australia is west of america... big_smile

#12 29-08-13 10:24:31

AUTAX
Verified Member

Predujice or racism has got out of hand. Ron Atkinson said to one of the contestants, who had a towel wrapped around her wet hair, I hope you haven't got a bomb. It was a joke. Are we not allowed to tell jokes now? They tell jokes or speak disparigingly about us but we dare not reciprocate.

And it is the tiny minority that has the law on their side in our country.

#13 29-08-13 11:00:56

MGM
Verified Member

Triker wrote:

There is a real threat to our country from Islam. We are on a constant alert because of it. Our lives are disrupted all the time because of it.

For about 30 years from the late 1960s we were on constant alert because of the activities of Irish terrorists, who were predominantly Christian. However, the vast majority of Christians (and Irish people) are peace-loving and abhor terrorism. So why is Islam different?

#14 29-08-13 15:20:26

Evan
Administrator

For society to work it has to have tolerance and repect from all members, unfortunately like many things in this country, the majority make the effort and the minority spoil it.

#15 30-08-13 13:32:07

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Who knew asking about going on holiday would cause such a stir...

Triker, I really don't know where to start. You have taken my comments in completely the wrong way and I don't have enough time to argue each and every point that you bring up as I'm a little busy working...

I understand WHY you post what you post but just because I want to go on holiday somewhere different to you doesn't mean I want to hear it. I was looking for contructive comments on what to do in Marrakech not a diatribe on why Islam is evil.

So unless you have something that relates to my OP please just keep quiet for a bit. It's getting very very tiresome......

#16 30-08-13 19:40:51

jackm
Verified Member

Returning to the original topic.......................

I went to Marrakech 4 or 5 years back - before Easyjet flew there. We took the ferry from Algecieras to Tangiers and the night sleeper to Marrakech.

One of the most exciting places I've ever visited (and I've been around a bit).

Make sure you visit the central square for your dinner - local delicacies include sheeps head and lambs testicles, but there are several edible alternatives available.

Another must is the garden which used to belong to Manet or Monet (I forget which). Absolutely spectacular.

We stayed in a Riyadh - a kind of bed and breakfast joint but a bit on the plush side, right in the old town - highly recommended.

BTW there is a driving school in Marrakech - they use cars with a dual steering wheel! Saw it and thought "I want one".

#17 30-08-13 22:55:56

AUTAX
Verified Member

My step-daughter went there twice to help as a volunteer to work with the homeless children and orphans and found it extremely rewarding.

I fail to see how anyone can speak out against a country and their people without having had first hand experience such as visiting it.

I seem to remember reading how our ancestors went out into the world preaching Christianity and converting people to our way of thinking. Isn't that the same as Muslims trying to convert us to their way of thinking?

You make your own way in this world. The world is a changing place in terms of culture and technology. Diminishing resources will do more for that change than anything else that has gone on before. Doesn't matter what we had in the past, it's the future that matters to the recent and present generations. There will be no going back.

(Edited for speeling errorwink

Last edited by AUTAX (30-08-13 23:11:33)

#18 30-08-13 23:10:21

AUTAX
Verified Member

Chris, if you go look out for the street artists. Some of their oil paintings are fabulous and they sell them for next to nothing. But bring them back and have them framed and they look gorgeous.

#19 22-09-13 09:56:58

DonT
Verified Member

#20 22-09-13 15:36:32

chevronjohn
Verified Member

Triker wrote:

Still think its a good idea to go for a holiday in Africa?

He isn't going to Kenya Triker roll
And yes I am rolling my eyes at you - I am writing this post from Tunisia and have been here for a week now with another to go - and it is my 9th visit to Africa.

I must be the luckiest holiday maker ever I guess because I have never seen or heard of any visiting holiday makers here to have been attacked or killed by " Islamic fundamentalists"

Go and enjoy your holiday in Marrakech - I'm sure you won't be swayed by people who's only experience is taken from the news smile

John

Last edited by chevronjohn (22-09-13 15:40:35)

DSA ADI ,DSA LGV Instructor, PCV Instructor, IAM, always willing to learn  smile
www.chevrontraining.co.uk
DSA Customer Test site

#21 22-09-13 16:55:37

brod
Banned

Is it a boring place where you are chevronjohn?
I am guessing it is if you are participating on a forum whilst on holiday roll

#22 22-09-13 18:45:51

DonT
Verified Member

Triker wrote:

Kenya to Morocco about 3000 miles
Kenya to Pakistan about 3000 miles

Your point is?

If you want a better one:

\London to Marrakech

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview#! … .1&fid=0i7

My sincere apologies Triker, I didn't realise that all the places were that distance apart. Mind you when you look up London to Marakech it is only 1866 miles so they are nearer than we thought. !!!!!!!! hell that's near.

I am afraid I cannot agree with your statement about people not being able to join the dots. I lived in Germany during the 1980 when the IRA targeted anybody who was connected with UK. I looked under my car every morning and my kids who are now in their 30s still remember it, A friend of mine lost his child when he left a cafe (Scnell Imbiss) and the IRA fired on him, missed him and killed the child in the car, it was near Wildenrath. I was also called to Roermond where three people were blown up in a car. RIP RAF REGIMENT. We all have dots, YOU JUST DON'T REALISE IT. We have all had our problems, you just need to give everybody a chance. I believe you are contributing to the profile, and you may not realise it. Think hard about it, because it is important to our future. If you HAVE gone through it you will realise it. Please take care.

Last edited by DonT (22-09-13 19:10:21)

#23 22-09-13 19:50:37

DonT
Verified Member

Triker wrote:

I still don't get what point you trying to make. What has distance got to do with it?

I don't require 'your agreement' to support 'my beliefs' and neither do I care if you believe me or think I am the problem but I'm not the one going around cutting peoples heads off and blowing up innocent people. As I've said many times before, if I'm wrong the worst that will happen is that I that I look like an alarmist. I can live with that but if I'm right and YOU'RE WRONG people are going to find that very difficult to live with cool

Your dots obviously draw a different picture than mine.

Try this one:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview#! … .1&fid=0i7

I refer you to my previous post which has something to do with terrorism if you join up the dots. Of course you wouldn't think of that as far as Birmingham goes. Do you still go to Birmingham?

Well Triker we obviously disagree.

Last edited by DonT (22-09-13 20:29:20)

#24 22-09-13 20:14:41

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Last year some 2500 people died on the roads of the UK.

How many died from terrorism in the whole of Europe during that period?

Let's keep a sense of perspective.

You are more likely to die in a road accident driving to the airport than from terrorism on holiday.

#25 23-09-13 12:25:43

chevronjohn
Verified Member

brod wrote:

Is it a boring place where you are chevronjohn?
I am guessing it is if you are participating on a forum whilst on holiday roll

Your guessing wrong roll if you call sitting by a pool, 32 degrees, having a fantastic relax boring then you do really need to get out more.

Last edited by chevronjohn (23-09-13 13:06:45)

DSA ADI ,DSA LGV Instructor, PCV Instructor, IAM, always willing to learn  smile
www.chevrontraining.co.uk
DSA Customer Test site

Board footer