You are not logged in.

#1 24-08-13 17:25:59

Maisiejayne

Bay parking.

I am just wondering if you are asked to bay park on your test, can you do this on any side? I take it you just use the same turning point but on your side of the car and turn full lock right rather than left?

So say the left hand side had just 2 parking places and the right hand side was empty, the safest bet would be to take the empty side, would this be ok?

24-08-13 17:25:59

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Bay parking.

#2 24-08-13 17:27:09

Maisiejayne

Or would it be a left full lock? Confused.com! roll

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 24-08-13 17:39:52

kaf
Verified Member
Website

You can park either side on test, the choice is yours.

Sometimes ii is easier to park between or alongside another car, you have a better view of them than you will,of the lines!

The turning ref point is not usually the same for both sides, because you are looking at a different angle.

You,should ask your instructor to,practice both sides an between cars to help,you,workout what is best for,you.

I often get my pupils to reverse with their eyes closed, and turn whenever they want to. Only when they are at 45 degrees are they allowed to open their eyes.

They then have to adjust their position to get in the bay. This means that they get used to correcting their position irrespective of the turning point, so on test they don't worry about missing the turning point as they know they can get it in the bay from anywhere.

#4 24-08-13 18:20:22

Triplea35
Verified Member

If you have empty bays on either side you can literally drive forward into a bay, and then reverse straight back into the bay opposite which should require the minimum of correction. Its called 'the opposing bay' method and is perfectly acceptable on test!

#5 24-08-13 18:30:54

Evan
Administrator

"I often get my pupils to reverse with their eyes closed, and turn whenever they want to. Only when they are at 45 degrees are they allowed to open their eyes."

That's a good method kaf I will try that. wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 24-08-13 18:39:57

Triplea35
Verified Member

Evan wrote:

"I often get my pupils to reverse with their eyes closed, and turn whenever they want to. Only when they are at 45 degrees are they allowed to open their eyes."

Bit weak on observations though!!!

#7 24-08-13 18:45:04

Evan
Administrator

Yes but far better than teaching a skill just by rote, I see exactly where kaf is coming from with this exercise.

Rest easy Trip I don't think kaf is planning to teach Stevie Wonder any time soon  smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 24-08-13 18:45:21

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Triplea35 wrote:
Evan wrote:

Bit weak on observations though!!!

lol  lol  lol

#9 24-08-13 23:21:16

Maisiejayne

Eyes close reminds me of my mate when she was doing her test a big fast car came past and she screamed and shut her eyes  big_smile  LOL! Big fat fail of course.

I just get nervous when theres other cars and i have to park in between, so don't see why when your already nervous in making it harder on yourself! But im quite relieved this is acceptable! I am actually hoping i get the RRC one as this is my favourite!

Thanks all!!

#10 25-08-13 06:29:32

kaf
Verified Member
Website

If you practice something enough, then you,get good at it, know you can do,it and don't feel nervous a about it.

Work on the things you,don't like doing, not the things that you do.

#11 27-08-13 19:20:38

(ROG)
Verified Member

After being told what bay to reverse in to is it then up to the candidate as to how they do it such as setting up for a 45 degree reverse into it?

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#12 27-08-13 19:27:28

Roadmaster
Verified Member

On test the candidate is not told which bay to reverse into.  They have to make that decision, and then carry it out however they want.

#13 27-08-13 20:23:37

brod
Banned

Roadmaster wrote:

On test the candidate is not told which bay to reverse into.  They have to make that decision, and then carry it out however they want.

Agreed, the client is not told to reverse into any specific bay, they are asked to reverse into a bay of their own choice, they can even reverse back into the bay they came out of.

#14 27-08-13 21:15:34

Maisiejayne

Thanks for all the replies, it makes it a whole lot stressfree knowing i can use either side. Tried in my hubbys car tonight and i found it quite simple...phew one less worry!

#15 27-08-13 22:00:34

AUTAX
Verified Member

I was told on my part 2 to pull out of the bay and reverse into a different one.

I was under the impression that what was required of learners too but I may be wrong.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

#16 27-08-13 22:10:33

ralge
Verified Member

AUTAX wrote:

I was told on my part 2 to pull out of the bay and reverse into a different one.

I was under the impression that what was required of learners too but I may be wrong.

I must admit that I thought the same but a read of DT1 suggests otherwise:
"PARKING IN A BAY IN THE DTC CAR PARK
The size and layout of the car park may restrict the options available to the candidate. Examiners should allow the candidate to reverse into any bay of their choice and no attempt should be made by the examiner to determine or dictate which bay is used or how the candidate carries out the exercise.
AT THE START OF THE TEST
After the pre-brief the candidate should be told that, before going on to the road, they are to carry out the reverse park exercise into a convenient bay. They should be asked to drive out of the bay to the left or right (if both options are available in that car park) and stop with the wheels straight before reversing into any convenient bay and parking the car (examiners should not instruct candidates to park in the centre of the bay). The instruction is to prevent them reversing back, into the bay on the same lock.
Providing some attempt has been made to straighten the front wheels, examiners should not be concerned if the wheels are not completely straight. The candidate may elect to drive forward to adjust the angle at which they address the bay they intend to reverse into, or space permitting, they are allowed to drive forwards into one bay before reversing back in a straight line into the opposing bay."

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#17 27-08-13 22:13:56

Maisiejayne

You dont know how much that makes me feel better about getting that manuver. I will still prefer the RRC one as this is my favourite or turn in the road!

#18 28-08-13 06:28:38

brod
Banned

Good post Ralge, it really does pay to do some research doesn't it smile
Thanks for the PM maisie, good luck with next test smile

#19 28-08-13 08:20:03

(ROG)
Verified Member

If they can do it how they want to then why do I see so many ADIs teaching it the hard way by starting to reverse when at 90 degrees to the bay instead of training the learner to set it up on an angle whilst driving forwards?

IAM Observer

#20 28-08-13 08:59:28

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

(ROG) wrote:

If they can do it how they want to then why do I see so many ADIs teaching it the hard way by starting to reverse when at 90 degrees to the bay instead of training the learner to set it up on an angle whilst driving forwards?

I show them both and ask which they would prefer, virtually all opt for 90 degree method.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#21 28-08-13 09:24:27

Roadmaster
Verified Member

It doesn't have to be 90 degrees.  I use real car parks to practice and let them do whatever way they want. If they want to pull in to a bay forwards and then reverse into another that's ok.

#22 28-08-13 09:30:46

MGM
Verified Member

(ROG) wrote:

I can't speak for others, but I teach it the "hard way", because when they've mastered that, the "easy way" is - guess what -easy wink

Remember, we're not just teaching for the test. Few of my local test centres do bay parking, but I still teach it.

#23 28-08-13 09:39:17

(ROG)
Verified Member

All those who passed recently and then come for the advanced as my associates have never been shown the easy way to reverse into a bay without encroaching into any other bay etc

The only part of the car I get them to use as a reference point is the centre pillar just behind where their shoulder is which I get them to line up with the middle of the bay they opt to go into

They choose a bay then drive forward as close to it as they can then stop with centre pillar in middle of bay - that leaves them with room for others to go around before starting the next bit and prevents anyone else from nipping into the bay

When clear they start to move forward very slowly but do a hard lock away from the bay then stop at about a 45 degree angle which is usually before going into any other bay etc

Into reverse and full opposite lock which then has the rear going into the bay ..... usual adjustments from that point to centre it and if not quite right then a forward shunt sorts it out with the driver thinking about the position of where they want the rear wheels to be before reversing again

I think I explained that ok?

starting at a 90 degree angle to the bay and being in the middle of the lane between the bays seems the hardest way to do it and is not as convenient as the method above IMO

IAM Observer

#24 28-08-13 09:41:05

ralge
Verified Member

(ROG) wrote:

I'm also not sure why the 90-degree method is used - it is plainly harder and the starting position before reversing (IF there's enough space for it) confuses the hell out of other drivers in a real-world car-park.
I suspect it's because of a mix of reasons:
- the ADI's themselves do not have a workable method for reversing other than the one they've picked up from other ADI's (there is no PST for bay-parking and no requirement to do it at Part 2) - when I qualified (wet behind the ears) and was faced with having to present pupils at one TC with a car-park I thought "I'd better find out how they are teaching this 90-deg method ..." (silly me)
- the ADI's see no reason to reverse into a bay other than it may be required on some tests where the TC has a car-park - witness how many ADI's "dump" (as I see it, sorry) their car forward into a space in any car-park you visit and how many of the general driving public (their ex-pupils) do the same
- the ADI's are somehow locked into fail-safe methods (reference points, lines, positioning, stickers in windows) that work with their car in a particular TC car-park but don't consider whether it is a workable method in a different car or real-world (Tesco's et al) car-park.

Whatever the reason behind it, it certainly promotes the notion that ADI's, on occasions, teach to pass a test and have low-level interest in and knowledge of real-world driving risks that their pupils will face after passing (my own experience suggests that damage in manoeuvring is the most common incident that young, inexperienced drivers get involved in) and, with ADI's on the face of it having no strategy to mitigate the risks inherent in parking, how can they be expected to pass it on to their pupils?

Last edited by ralge (28-08-13 10:47:05)

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#25 28-08-13 11:24:47

Roadmaster
Verified Member

ralge wrote:

witness how many ADI's "dump" (as I see it, sorry) their car forward into a space in any car-park you visit and how many of the general driving public (their ex-pupils) do the same

Yes I often do that too.  It's so that I don't have to struggle carrying the shopping between two cars to get to the boot.

Board footer