You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 27-08-13 21:56:22

Mr Bridger
Website

Spam email claiming to be for a US school class project.

I've had an email come through today via my website claiming to be from a teacher in the US on behalf of one of her students. It mentions that they are updating their class website and the students have come across my site and would like to use some of the resources on it for their project. They have given me a link for something they thought would be a good fit for my site and are after a reciprocal link.

After not much searching the net it appears that this may well be the latest tactic in the spammers toolbox. If it is to be believed then this class is researching, amongst others: Transcontinental railways, model railways, Eastern Ozarks Astronomical Society, a community group in Todmorden, the sons of Confederate veterans.

Every one of the organisations carried virtually the same generic email request and, thanks to a posting on http://whatever.scalzi.com/2013/03/20/w … post-here/, this is a transcript of said email:

Hello [ResearchedTargetNames] and greetings from Delaware and Ms. Ward's classroom!

I hope you don't mind that I'm reaching out to you both like this! I'm currently working with my class to help revamp our class website with lots of new sections and information for students, parents, educators, etc. (in desperate need of an update). One of my students, [Name], came across your page, [YourPage] while searching for resource pages for our "[SomethingRelatedToYourPage]" section and found some great information there that we will most likely be adding my site.

As part of the project, the kids are required to find and share a resource with the people that we have borrowed information from for "using their stuff," as one student put it haha. This is something that [StudentName] thought would go well on your site:

"[InnocuousTitle]"
[SpammyCommercialLink]

My hope is that if you find it useful at all, you might consider posting this along with the other link resources on your site. When I am able to show the kids that someone posted their suggestion, it really acts as a mini-motivator and keeps them excited and engaged in the project (which is obviously fantastic...).

Anyway, if you are able to post it just shoot me an email and let me know so I can show her and her group, and thanks ahead of time for playing a small role in this project smile

Ms. Deborah Ward (and [StudentName])

You have been warned.

Working with South Yorkshire Road Safety Team's Learn Safe Drive Safe project.

27-08-13 21:56:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Spam email claiming to be for a US school class project.

Board footer