You are not logged in.

#1 24-08-13 23:26:14

Maisiejayne

Cupping method when changing gears

I sometimes go into 4G instead of 2G and my hubby mentioned the cupping method when changing gears. Ive never heard of this and wondered if any of you experienced drivers use this method and could talk me through hiw to do this. How my hubby explained it made me think youd have to be double jointed or something!

24-08-13 23:26:14

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Cupping method when changing gears

#2 24-08-13 23:56:21

AUTAX
Verified Member

It's called the palming method and it's really simple. You don't have to be double jointed.  smile

When in neutral you should find that there is a spring bias positioning the gear stick in the middle of neutral usually between 3 & 4.

When changing from 1-2 or 3-2 just turn your hand so that the palm of your left hand faces the passenger door and the hand pushes away from you and down. The result will be that 2nd is found every time.

Think of changing as a diagonal move from 3-2 not as a zigzag.

Be Fear-less, go GEAR-LESS!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 25-08-13 07:25:44

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

AUTAX wrote:

It's called the palming method and it's really simple. ...

Yep. If you "palm" instead of gripping you are more likely to feel the spring. The spring is also handy for down-changes from 5th into 4th or 3rd.
My students who consistently palm the lever generally make smother changes and are less likely to accidentally get a wrong gear.

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#4 25-08-13 10:16:53

Maisiejayne

Nice one thank you, i will try that tomorrow. One of my fails was due to a wrong gear change by accident. Youd think ADI would teach learners this method these days. My husband was taught this way and also says its near impossible to go into wrong gear.

Thanks again you two  smile

#5 25-08-13 10:18:20

Maisiejayne

Just tried it with my remote comtrol....as you do  tongue i think i can manage this!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 25-08-13 11:19:23

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Maisiejayne wrote:

Nice one thank you, i will try that tomorrow. One of my fails was due to a wrong gear change by accident. Youd think ADI would teach learners this method these days. My husband was taught this way and also says its near impossible to go into wrong gear.

Thanks again you two  smile

Umm. They do, if yours hasn't suggested it, then ask,him/her why not.

#7 25-08-13 13:34:20

Maisiejayne

Yeah i intend to Kaf. Maybe he thought my method was ok, its probably happened ( slipping into 4th instead of 3) three times. My husband started lessons in the 80's so maybe teaching methods have changed?

#8 25-08-13 14:55:07

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi Maisiejayne
No, its not an old technique,its a longtaught basic that will never change unless gear boxes change!
Ask your instructor.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#9 25-08-13 16:23:00

Maisiejayne

Thanks Peter, im out tomorrow with a new instuctor ( i have 2 because im greedy! ) so will ask him to show me! Got a 10 hour block booked to get to grips with my roundabout fear and then back to Blackpool for a further 10 hours with my usual instructor before my test on the 23rd. He reccomended i get some practice in when i was back at home. I will master that Bispham roundabout if its the last thing i do!! Thank you everybody, this is a great forum btw!

#10 25-08-13 17:06:20

MAZ
Verified Member

I don't teach it unless someone has a specific problem, those who have come to me already using it tend to be robotic and regimented often taking more time than is desirable to change gear, in fact I could sell tickets to watch some change gear!!

Maz.

#11 25-08-13 17:24:56

trunkmonkey

Maisiejayne wrote:

Thanks Peter, im out tomorrow with a new instuctor ( i have 2 because im greedy! ) so will ask him to show me! Got a 10 hour block booked to get to grips with my roundabout fear and then back to Blackpool for a further 10 hours with my usual instructor before my test on the 23rd. He reccomended i get some practice in when i was back at home. I will master that Bispham roundabout if its the last thing i do!! Thank you everybody, this is a great forum btw!

Bispham roundabout is a piece of cake.
All you have to do on the approach is think " Fish & Chips in two minutes"
Sorted smile

#12 25-08-13 17:49:08

martin Williams
Verified Member

MAZ wrote:

I don't teach it unless someone has a specific problem, those who have come to me already using it tend to be robotic and regimented often taking more time than is desirable to change gear, in fact I could sell tickets to watch some change gear!!

Maz.

I have had a couple of pupils try to change gear with their right hand when they got in a muddle with the indicator   yikes

#13 25-08-13 18:57:25

Maisiejayne

trunkmonkey wrote:
Maisiejayne wrote:

Bispham roundabout is a piece of cake.
All you have to do on the approach is think " Fish & Chips in two minutes"
Sorted smile

It confuses the hell outta me but the fish and chips wish might just work tongue

#14 25-08-13 18:58:34

Maisiejayne

martin Williams wrote:
MAZ wrote:

Maz.

I have had a couple of pupils try to change gear with their right hand when they got in a muddle with the indicator   yikes

Oh dear LOL!!!

#15 26-08-13 11:15:13

Maisiejayne

Well i mentioned this method to my new driving instructor and he showed me, it is much easier and i never slipped into the wrong gear once! He is a brilliant instructor too, picked up on my fear ( he said borderline phobia) of roundabouts and we have just spent 3/4 of the lesson doing roundabouts. Feeling much more confident even after this one lesson!

#16 26-08-13 16:30:36

brod
Banned

Triker wrote:

You're obviously very happy with your new instructor MJ. Why don't you give him a plug smile

I asked her not to, so as to save my embarrassment  lol lol lol

#17 26-08-13 19:30:28

Maisiejayne

Its Keith metcalf from Rochdale hes brilliant, made it such fun! Highly reccomended! There ya go!

#18 27-08-13 10:44:52

brod
Banned

You cover a lot of miles on your lessons if he is based in Rochdale!!!
I assumed you did your lessons in Blackpool? Have i made the mistake of making an incorrect assumption hmm

#19 27-08-13 16:04:23

Maisiejayne

Hi Brod,
I did a 10 day 40 hours residential course in Blackpool. Id already done over 40 hours years back, failed my first trst on the 19th August and i re take on the 23rd September so getting another 10 hours practice in my home town near Rochdale and then go back to Blackpool on the 19th for a further 10 hours and my test! Im confusing lol!

I wanted to get my confidence on roundabouts really plus keep my finger in with the practice, so i have 2 instructors but if for some reason i fail again, i shall be keeping to Rochdale for lessons and future tests!

#20 27-08-13 16:08:24

kaf
Verified Member
Website

It would be interesting in a few weeks time for you to come back and give us a customers viewpoint on the difference and benefits as you saw them of an intense course v regular shorter lessons.

It is often debated on here, and you,having experienced both in a short period of time could give us how you see them.

#21 27-08-13 21:25:58

Maisiejayne

Yes of course i will. I used to do hourly lessons many moons ago and found by the time we had recapped on last weeks lesson, plus dropped off previous learner and then picked up new one, my lesson was over and i just felt i was having the pee taken. With the intensive i think its best you have a basic understanding how a car works really to do one. Ive gone in with the attitude this time it doesn't matter if i don't pass first time as long as when i do pass i am safe to myself and others. I like the 2 hour lessons too, just enough to get to grips and gain some confidence, which is my main problem, being a nurse i do over think and analyse everything. I actually work with brain injuries caused by RTA, it doesn't help as ive seen the results of dangerous driving.
To be honest i never found the intensive course that taxing, we did 2 hour lessons with a 2 hour break in between and drove at different times of the day and night, plus i experienced different roads. It was an experience i am happy i did and its given me a jump start. I have a realistic attitude and if i fail the next one too, its all experience and i will just continue booking 10 hour blocks until i do.

#22 27-08-13 23:43:36

MAZ
Verified Member

Maisiejayne wrote:

I used to do hourly lessons many moons ago and found by the time we had recapped on last weeks lesson, plus dropped off previous learner and then picked up new one, my lesson was over and i just felt i was having the pee taken.

This is called "piggybacking", you should choose a school that does not do this. It compromises the lesson as you should be driving a route that fits in with what YOU should be covering and not dependant on where your 2 adjacent pupils live. How anyone can learn the complete sylabus in one hour lessons that have to include dropping off and picking up other pupils beggers bellief!!!

Maz.

Last edited by MAZ (27-08-13 23:47:39)

#23 28-08-13 06:16:17

brod
Banned

No Maz!!! Apparently "piggybacking does not go on" hmm  according to the replys on the thread I started a few weeks ago, about the same subject lol  lol

#24 28-08-13 08:22:22

(ROG)
Verified Member

If anyone has the roadcraft dvd/video then the method is shown and explained in it

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#25 28-08-13 16:18:39

Maisiejayne

MAZ wrote:
Maisiejayne wrote:

I used to do hourly lessons many moons ago and found by the time we had recapped on last weeks lesson, plus dropped off previous learner and then picked up new one, my lesson was over and i just felt i was having the pee taken.

This is called "piggybacking", you should choose a school that does not do this. It compromises the lesson as you should be driving a route that fits in with what YOU should be covering and not dependant on where your 2 adjacent pupils live. How anyone can learn the complete sylabus in one hour lessons that have to include dropping off and picking up other pupils beggers bellief!!!

Maz.

This was when i very first took lessons. I made sure this time i was getting the full time i had paid for. In both the residential and 10 hour block lessons i have these days im happy to say its 1:1 tution. I totally dont agree with "piggybacking" and think its just a way to work less for extra money! Im also in my 40's now so more likely to speak up than when i was a lot younger but it does still go on im sure of it.

Board footer