You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 09-08-13 13:45:21

BDofNI
Website

Cat C / D Eyesight requirements

Can anyone explain why there is a need for an unaided eyesight requirement in order to drive HGV's and Buses?

Of course I understand that there is a minimum corrected eyesight requirement needed to drive all vehicles but I don't get the need for unaided requirement for Cat C / D but its not needed for cat B.

Last edited by BDofNI (09-08-13 13:46:16)

IAM Member

09-08-13 13:45:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Cat C / D Eyesight requirements

#2 09-08-13 18:14:55

(ROG)
Verified Member

Higher standard

If there is a problem then get the cheap medical done (60 max) and DVLA will then offer you a FREE check up at one of their approved places near you

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 09-08-13 18:48:59

chevronjohn
Verified Member

(ROG) wrote:

Higher standard

If there is a problem then get the cheap medical done (60 max) and DVLA will then offer you a FREE check up at one of their approved places near you

Why not just pay 20 or so and get a proper eyesight check?????????

The standard for eyesight checks for LGV/PCV has recently changed, in conjunction with the new medical form, and I believe that a slightly different standard is now required

An optician is always going to be the best option for eyesight checks

John

Last edited by chevronjohn (09-08-13 19:39:19)

DSA ADI ,DSA LGV Instructor, PCV Instructor, IAM, always willing to learn  smile
www.chevrontraining.co.uk
DSA Customer Test site

#4 09-08-13 19:44:47

BDofNI
Website

I had Cat C provisional added to my licence about 12 years ago and I just squeaked passed the uncorrected eyesight requirements, I was thinking about getting lessons and doing the test but I'm now reasonably certain that I won't be able to pass the medical again when my licence came up for renewal.

The current requirement is an "uncorrected acuity at least 3/60", I'm still not sure what the need is for having an uncorrected requirement.
Is this in case my glasses fall off when driving? I really don't think driving with any uncorrected vision is a good idea!

Last edited by BDofNI (09-08-13 19:45:09)

IAM Member

Board footer