You are not logged in.

#1 22-07-13 21:33:13

HelenG
Verified Member

It's been a while

Hello everyone.
I'm looking for a little bit of advice please.
I'm thinking of taking my bike test and getting back into biking after nearly 30 years.

I went to my local training centre today to enquire about what I'd need to do first etc....
The nice lady there told me about my cbt then my theory, then the two tests.
She then showed me the bike I'd be taking my test on.   It was a 650 Gladiator I think (I could have that wrong).
It seemed massive, I'm only 5 foot 5, and my only bike experience was a RD 80 back in my teens.

I'm now a little scared to say the least, and unsure if I should just stick with the 125s

Does anybody else think this is just too big a bike to learn on?

yikes

22-07-13 21:33:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: It's been a while

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 23-07-13 07:15:19

chevronjohn
Verified Member

Hi Helen,

I did my bike licence 2 weeks ago and the training school had Kawazaki er6n training bikes - I'm only 5'6 and found it fairly easy even with the big bike.

Once you have done the CBT, which you can do on the bigger bike if confident enough, you will not worry so much about the height - saying that as BS said they may well have a lowered or sculptured seat for the likes of us vertically challenged big_smile

I had a fantastic time during my training and am now the proud owner of a CBF600 sport - go for it and I really hope you have a good a time as I did - good luck.

john

DSA ADI ,DSA LGV Instructor, PCV Instructor, IAM, always willing to learn  smile
www.chevrontraining.co.uk
DSA Customer Test site

#3 23-07-13 07:25:30

HelenG
Verified Member

Thanks for the replies.
They did have a bike that had been lowered, I could reach the floor almost flat foot but not completely.

I will start with the cbt and see how I feel after that.

Thanks guys  smile

#4 23-07-13 07:52:56

Coasting Mart
Verified Member

Hi Helen
Most people find big bikes easier to ride - more mass and momentum makes them feel more stable.  Better switch gear and smoother controls; less need to wring it's neck to get it to go!  As long as you 'fit' the bike, they are easy.
Tipee toe is always going to be a bit more challenging - practice a small counter-steer input as you stop, so you know which way the bike will lean!  Really helps.  Nothing worse than stopping perfectly balanced and wondering which foot you will need!  hmm

The key differences are the weight and power.  Get all the CBT techniques sorted, especially slow-ride technique using some rear brake, as this will be really useful on a big bike.  You've got to 'drive it round' when manoeuvring rather than just trundle.  If you let the weight get away from you, you can't stop it, it will fall.  Drive it round and it's fine.  Smooth with the controls and the bike will be smooth and easy to balance and control.  Straighten the bars when stopping and glide the last bike length with the rear brake only.  If you grab the front with the bars turned, it will throw you off!   tongue

Be gentle with the throttle when setting off, especially when turning out of a junction.  Lots of power available!  Don't change into 2nd until straight.  Lots of power means you can go - yippee!!  So, good anticipation, looking well ahead as you can arrive at the hazard faster!  Practice braking, easy despite the weight cos they have better brakes.

So, apart from the weight and power, most people much prefer riding a bigger bike as it feels easier.  Get your control sorted and the weight is no problem, and the power is part of the fun!  Might be good to practice control skills on the 125 for a while until you're happy, then move onwards and upwards to even more fun!   cool

(Mart - car & bike instructor)  smile

"I swear I found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car"

#5 23-07-13 12:47:13

HelenG
Verified Member

Some great tips there, thank you v much.

Board footer