You are not logged in.

#1 07-06-13 19:23:02

reading8971

Mileage Records

Just wondered how much detail those of you that claim for mileage rather than depreciation keep records of business mileage. Do you record it by lesson, by day or week etc? I've been keeping it on a daily basis but accountant seems to think that the IR would want to see details of how many miles per lesson and where the journey was to/from. Doesn't seem very practical!

Thanks

Simon

07-06-13 19:23:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Mileage Records

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 07-06-13 20:30:04

RobC
Verified Member
Website

I have 2 cars for private mileage/use and dont use my driving school for private use so dont keep records and my accountant seems happy with that.

Last edited by RobC (07-06-13 20:30:26)

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#3 07-06-13 21:41:20

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Sounds like your accountant needs to get a life lol
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#4 07-06-13 23:08:11

RobC
Verified Member
Website

So if I only use my instruction car for business use only and claim depreciation rather than mileage, what records of mileage should I keep then?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 08-06-13 05:38:34

MGM
Verified Member

RobC wrote:

So if I only use my instruction car for business use only and claim depreciation rather than mileage, what records of mileage should I keep then?

None!

#6 08-06-13 10:25:16

Triplea35
Verified Member

If you you can honestly say that you don't use your car for any private use then I agree you don't have to.

As I own my car, its unliveried, and I do quite a lot of private mileage in it, I was advised to keep quite detailed records of business/private mileage for a period of a few months. Then calculate the percentage ie 95% business 5% private and claim accordingly unless circumstances changed significantly, ie holidays. It was suggested that just keeping a couple of months of such records would be evidence to support my self assessment if it was ever questioned.

#7 08-06-13 15:24:21

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I agree with the above post, as long as the claim is reasonable it is not going to be a problem, evidence of why you are claiming x percent of the total mileage is,fine. If you,want to play safe, recheck it once a year for a couple of,weeks, to see if your usage has changed.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 08-06-13 15:58:48

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Triker wrote:
Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi
Peter

Yes it does, and it also sounds like he/ she is trying to justify their fee?  wink

My current accountant is actually very good and fees are not unreasonable (and Ive had a few over the past 25 years)

I dont use my Mini for private use as its a 2 door and too small for everyone and the dog, I do a high business mileage anyway and dont want any more mileage on this car and I also have two other cars.

I can fully justify my fuel receipts as my business car is deisel and private cars are petrol and have never had a problem with any of my accountants accepting this.

#9 08-06-13 16:24:09

kaf
Verified Member
Website

RobC wrote:
Triker wrote:
Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi
Peter

Yes it does, and it also sounds like he/ she is trying to justify their fee?  wink

My current accountant is actually very good and fees are not unreasonable (and Ive had a few over the past 25 years)

I dont use my Mini for private use as its a 2 door and too small for everyone and the dog, I do a high business mileage anyway and dont want any more mileage on this car and I also have two other cars.

I can fully justify my fuel receipts as my business car is deisel and private cars are petrol and have never had a problem with any of my accountants accepting this.

Rob, I think peters comment was directed at the OP, not your comment. Your accountant seems to have exactly the right idea.

#10 08-06-13 18:05:29

brod
Banned

All the time I have been an ADI never have I used an accountant, don't understand the need for someone who, I believe, would charge me a couple of hundred pounds just to save me a couple of hundred pounds. Every April I have an appointment at my local tax office and they do it all for me smile
Although next year all local tax offices are closing.

#11 08-06-13 19:39:59

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
kaf is correct[as always]. big_smile
Peter

Last edited by Lewinpeter1 (08-06-13 19:40:24)

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#12 08-06-13 20:07:13

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Thank the lord, my accountant gives very good value for money and was very upset at the slur  big_smile

#13 08-06-13 20:10:24

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I use 'mileage allowance' and record mileage every April, car is 100% business (we have another car for all other use). The evidence is also on the receipts for services / MOT etc...

Also keep all petrol receipts.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#14 08-06-13 20:38:43

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi
kaf is correct[as always]. big_smile
Peter

Can you,please come and have a talk to my wife!  lol

#15 08-06-13 21:45:18

reading8971

Thanks for the replies. Have always done my returns myself but thought I'd get a professional opinion this year. Also wanted to start getting a proper set of accounts that can be used re mortgage etc.  Figured the accountant was just covering himself. I do use the car for personal use too so I think I'll keep detailed records for a period to establish an average usage. Cheers.

#16 09-06-13 05:57:16

Roadmaster
Verified Member

For ADIs who get tax credits there are some very important changes coming soon.  When the new system is introduced, (cureently being trialled in the north west) accounts will have to be submitted monthly, and if over 7 days late will result in loss of  credits for that month.

Some accountants will no doubt take advantage of this to wring more fees out of clients, but there is a free app which has been produced which will be acceptable to hrmc.

#17 10-06-13 22:32:49

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

Roadmaster wrote:

For ADIs who get tax credits

What tax credits do you refer to here RM?
Didn't realise the self employed could claim any.

Last edited by smithwold (10-06-13 22:33:40)

#18 11-06-13 05:13:37

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Didn't realise the self employed could claim any.

Yeah, you can get working tax credits and child tax credits (you might need some kids to get this one!). I earn too much for working tax credits but we do get child tax credits.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#19 11-06-13 05:29:15

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Working tax credits are based on your net income.  Many ADIs who qualify don't know about it.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/e … tAodFVUA_w

Last edited by Roadmaster (11-06-13 05:35:36)

#20 12-06-13 20:18:57

kjmcculloch

If you use your car 100% for business use then you don't need to keep any records.  You can't claim depreciation as this isn't an allowable expense.  You can, however, claim capital allowances.  Just to confuse things further a car with dual controls is not thought to be a car by HMRC but rather plant and machinery.  This means it is open to Annual Investment Allowances.  This means that (up to certain limits) you can claim the whole purchase amount back in year 1.

If you do use your car for private miles the easiest thing to do is note the start and end mileage for business use.  This doesn't need to be detailed for every journey.  If you have 5 lessons in the day just put the mileage when you leave home and when you return.  Anything not noted will be private mileage. 

It is worth doing a quick calculation between claiming a percentage of running and capital costs to the authorised mileage rate and see which works out best.  A word of warning though, you can't chop and change between these.  Once you decide on a method to use you can only change when you change cars.  If you are above the VAT threshold then the choice has been made for you, you can only claim the percentage system.

I can send you a template of a log I use with clients if you want, just email me on kris@ayrshireaccountancy.co.uk

Kris

I'm an accountancy provider for driving instructors.  Feel free to visit my website dedicated to driving instructors.

Board footer