You are not logged in.

#1 17-05-13 17:51:07

Ryan81

Not clear on steering for Moving Off & Stopping

Ok, I had a quick scan of other people's PST experiences for the Part 3 and one guy wrote that the examiner asked him at the end of the test why he was referring to numbers when telling him to steer i.e. 3, 9, 12 etc and that he should just have said "steer a little to the left/right"
Thing is, my ADI instructor told me NOT to use words like "slightly" or "a little bit" because they are too ambiguous and to say "steer to 3, 9, 12"

So, which is right because I'm wondering what other areas I may have conflicting views on?  sad

17-05-13 17:51:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Not clear on steering for Moving Off & Stopping

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 17-05-13 18:02:58

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

If you clarify what is meant by steer to 3,9,12 etc. BEFORE telling the pupil to do that then there should be no problem using that. As with real pupils the examiner might interpret differently what is meant by "steer to 3" or "steer to 9", even saying steer 1/2 or 1/4 of a turn is not clear to many people.

If you want to use 3,9,12 then tell them first to treat the wheel as a clock face with 12 at the top etc. then confirm they understand, if you are going to say "steer a little" or "steer slightly" then fine as long as you make sure you both agree what that means.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#3 17-05-13 18:13:57

Ryan81

Thanks  smile

#4 17-05-13 19:53:06

Ryan81

Triker, the problem with that is that one could ask "steer away by how much?" I certainly wouldn't know how much to point/swing my right hand if I were telling them. If I were to say "Now, imagine the steering wheel is like a clock, 12 at the top, 3 to the right, 6 at the bottom, 9 to the left" Surely a person would understand that???  hmm

#5 17-05-13 19:56:25

Ryan81

Problem with me is that I may get too 'hands on' and start waving my hand too much which could be misinterpreted for something else. When I was with my instructor, he told me this. Plus, someone else said "This is your space" (passenger side) and "this is mine" (driver's) If I go gently for the steering wheel, that's ok though?

#6 17-05-13 20:02:10

Evan
Administrator

Get yourself a tin lid and show him approximately how much to turn the wheel when moving off show him the action then let him practice. Ask where the kerb is in the front windscreen, tell him when you move off you want him to do what he has just practiced with the tin lid. You will help him to identify a driving position when you are moving by looking for where the kerb is in the front windscreen and when you pull up at the side of the road the kerb should return to where it started.  As he's an examiner he should comply if you get your talk through right, just like a pupil will  big_smile obviously show him how to turn the wheel to bring the car back to the side of the road using the tin lid. Above all practice it yourself first and get fluent with your instruction. Also helps to get different people sitting in the car when you practice so you can see how the focal points change for each person.

Last edited by Evan (17-05-13 20:12:51)

#7 17-05-13 20:20:50

Ryan81

Thanks, Evan. The major problem for me is that my social network is pretty much zero and so I don't really have anyone to practice on. But that's how my ADI taught me to do it. Timing of the instruction is important so that they don't steer too much left/right.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 18-05-13 08:15:50

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Get yourself a tin lid and show him approximately how much to turn the wheel when moving off show him the action then let him practice.

I do this, I have a frisbee. Establish steering technique and control phrases while stationary.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 19-05-13 18:15:30

Ryan81

Triker wrote:
Ryan81 wrote:

Problem with me is that I may get too 'hands on' and start waving my hand too much which could be misinterpreted for something else. When I was with my instructor, he told me this. Plus, someone else said "This is your space" (passenger side) and "this is mine" (driver's) If I go gently for the steering wheel, that's ok though?

I'm not saying you should fight them for the wheel lol  All it takes is that you take hold of the wheel at just below their left hand and gentle steer them out. Nothing wrong with at all wink

Thanks. So the best thing would be to say something like "Steer gently to the right" and if I see they are steering too much, just take the wheel and steer them gently back to the left and then say "Perfect, just hold it there" once they are straight and parallel? smile

#10 19-05-13 18:17:35

Ryan81

Not sure about tin lids and frisbees, guys. Doesn't sound clear to me at all  lol

#11 19-05-13 19:51:11

MAZ
Verified Member

If you think the SE is going to give you a hard time with this, then:
As you will be driving out to the working area for this PST you could pull up on the way and demonstrate the amount of steering required to move away and stop.
Maz.

#12 19-05-13 21:16:34

Evan
Administrator

Peter you would think elementary basic mathematics would be taught, however I am more and more dismayed by the amount of primary school knowledge that is missing, very worrying.

Don't get me started on left and right, seems you don't need to know that anymore, just guess.

Last edited by Evan (19-05-13 21:18:57)

#13 20-05-13 05:50:48

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Wessex wrote:

I read what Triker said about not understanding a clock face having only
been brought up with digital and I thought, "Really?". Well one of my students
said the very same to me the other day when describing roundabouts.

Unbelievable. Weren't they taught fractions at school? 1/4, 2/4=1/2, 3/4, 4/4=1.

Then bring a frisbee,  print out a clock face and stick it on. Then the Se has a reference for the numbers and can't play silly ??????!

#14 20-05-13 16:00:23

pedigreemalc
Verified Member

Would you normally take the examiner to a safe place to start the pst?
If so can't you show them on route

been there done that got the t`shirt

Board footer