You are not logged in.

#1 17-05-13 20:27:21

Ryan81

Is it good to use photos for reference points in the exam?

I've got a load of photos for various reference points on my phone and was wondering if it would help to use them during the exam e.g. when doing a turn in the road. Showing them how to steer full left lock when the kerb is approx. a quarter of the way up the driver's front door and then stop and secure the car when it's approx. halfway up the driver's front door. Or will the examiner still expect me to verbally say "Steer full left lock NOW"?

17-05-13 20:27:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Is it good to use photos for reference points in the exam?

#2 17-05-13 20:59:32

reddragonbus
Verified Member

You need to have your own reference points as an instructor, so you know when the car is in the correct position.

Get them to stop when you see your reference, then you need to get the learner to find their own references. Ask them what they see and establish a system that works for them.

If you show them a photo of your reference point that is unlikely to work as your reference point will be different to my reference point or any other person as we are all a different shape and size.

The examiner is likely to reverse the car onto the pavement and then say that they have lined up X with Y as you showed them in your photo!

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 17-05-13 21:00:50

martin Williams
Verified Member

Ryan81 wrote:

I've got a load of photos for various reference points on my phone and was wondering if it would help to use them during the exam e.g. when doing a turn in the road. Showing them how to steer full left lock when the kerb is approx. a quarter of the way up the driver's front door and then stop and secure the car when it's approx. halfway up the driver's front door. Or will the examiner still expect me to verbally say "Steer full left lock NOW"?

First of all i'm not sure what you are on about as you steer full lock left as soon as the car starts to go backwards on the 2nd leg of the ' turn in the road'?

I'm assuming you mean steering left as you are approaching the end of the 1st leg? I think you will find using photos to show reference points won't work as all 'pupils' are different in height seat position so reference points will be different. First go you need to get your 'pupil' stop at each reference point and then ask the 'pupil' where the kerb for example appears in the front window.

You really do need to spend some time with a quality instructor to explain fully. Most PDIs need at least 40 hrs for part 3 and that really is the minimum. Most need a lot more than that.

#4 17-05-13 21:26:20

Evan
Administrator

I can only echo what Martin says, the part 3 test is tough, you have to know what you are teaching and to do that you need good quality guidance and training.

Last edited by Evan (17-05-13 21:34:38)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 18-05-13 08:12:48

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Get them to stop when you see your reference, then you need to get the learner to find their own references. Ask them what they see and establish a system that works for them.

I second that.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#6 18-05-13 13:47:47

Ryan81

Thanks everyone.  So you'd say photos are not the best way to go about it? My biggest problem is that I get so many differing opinions- my instructor seemed to suggest that photos are good at illustrating just when they need to carry out a particular manoeuvre etc but it appears that most of you here would disagree.

But I liked your explanation, reddragonbus. It does make sense  smile

#7 18-05-13 16:23:22

Evan
Administrator

Ryan the best advice I can give you is learn your reference point as reddragonbus suggests, but perfect your talk through. If you can successfully talk a novice driver into doing what you want and succeeding you are on a winner.

#8 19-05-13 01:05:33

Evan
Administrator

Good solid understanding of lesson to be taught, good solid talk through good solid instructor = good solid result.

#9 19-05-13 08:44:23

Evan
Administrator

Peter I could not agree more diagrams, google photos of junctions etc are all valuable teaching aids, but as you know these diagrams must be coupled with good concise instructions and explanations.

Last edited by Evan (19-05-13 08:44:57)

#10 19-05-13 18:10:50

Ryan81

Wessex wrote:

I didn't say don't use photos. I said print them off but don't use your phone's screen.

I use printouts with photos to illustrate the various manoeuvres.

PM me if you want to see what I use.

Absolutely. I'm definately not going to be showing them a tiny screen. I'll get myself a photo album and just put them all in there.

Board footer