You are not logged in.

#1 24-04-13 13:15:00

VandADI
Administrator

Licence to Kill

BBC3 9pm tonight.

Almost 10 years after the crash that left her paralysed, Sophie Morgan explores why road traffic collisions are the single biggest killer of young people in the UK, and meets people who, like her, have seen their lives transformed forever in just an instant.

As she talks to drivers whose actions have resulted in tragic accidents, and to victims and their families, she tries to understand why a fifth of new drivers will crash within a year of passing their test – and what can be done to stop that. Does it mean driving qualifications are obtained too early, or too easily?

With exclusive access to emergency services and high-profile stories, she follows a number of cases from the scene of the accident through to eventual recovery, or resolution in the courts, and spends an evening with new drivers whose love of speed has led them to risk their lives in illegal racing events.

As this powerful film unfolds, Sophie also comes to terms with what happened in her own accident – for the first time discussing the events of that night with the people her own bad driving could have killed.

24-04-13 13:15:00

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Licence to Kill

#2 24-04-13 14:13:32

Roadmaster
Verified Member

There was a discussion on radio 5 this morning, with snippets from the programme, and several learners were interviewed. Most of those interviewed were saying they agreed with the recently announced proposals that there should be a minimum learning period, and that intensive courses for beginners should be banned.

It sounds like it is worth watching

#3 24-04-13 14:53:27

Terrier
Banned

While I sympathise with what happened to her she's just another one in a long list of people who are coming up with ideas for new drivers, but this profession of ours has been shouting about this for years but nobody listens. Yet it only take one person who has been affected by this and politicians start jumping in with all sorts of ideas, most of which have been suggested by us for years.

We get no credit or respect for our knowledge and experience and that is down to some of the pathetic attitudes from some people in this job.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 24-04-13 15:34:32

MGM
Verified Member

Terrier wrote:

We get no credit or respect for our knowledge and experience and that is down to some of the pathetic attitudes from some people in this job.

I agree. If you were an outsider judging ADIs by the content of this forum (and others), you might easily conclude that we are NOT responsible professionals. Responsible professionals do not indulge in bickering and personal abuse (at least in public).

#5 25-04-13 07:35:37

bradders
Verified Member

Yep, think it needs to change, evidence has been pointing out that our youngsters have higher incident of accidents on the roads for some while now!  I have no idea if it is the same in other countries, with regard to the early/young drivers having accidents.  I wonder how many accidents can be attributed to mobile usage.  I see so many people driving and using mobiles.  I remember an ADI I knew getting a ticket for using a mobile phone while conducting a lesson and rightly so! just by the by.  I am not sure intensive driving courses are to blame, in truth.  I think some youngster learn very well on these courses. The problem is if that youngster does not consolidate this learning by having further lessons and experience, prior to taking their test.  I agree intensive course followed by test is hopeless.   

Remedies - insist (as a country) that our youngsters are legally required to have P plates for one year post test.
Ensure by law, once they pass until they are 21 years or two years post test, they drive alone or with an adult over 25 who has a licence to drive.

My daughter (18 years old at the time) went to 8 funerals of young people she knew when she was learning to drive and 7 were young persons killed as a result of theirs or a friends poor driving. (4 boys in one car)

She is of the few people I know who will actually turn her phone off while she is in the car driving.  I always know when she is in the car as it is the only time her phone is switched off.  Not on silent but off. I think this should also be law.  All mobile phones off while driving as hands free according to research still takes the drivers mind off their driving.

Last edited by bradders (25-04-13 07:36:24)

Hypnotherapist, Artist, Picture Framer, GDB (general dogs body) and ADI - 2002

'We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are'. Anais Nin

#6 25-04-13 07:56:01

Evan
Administrator

Driving lessons are being treated like lots of other things in life these days, people want to just get through them as quick as possible and just get a licence. The ability to drive cannot and should not be measured in hours or cost. It needs to be measured in depth of theoretical knowledge, demonstrated performance and analysis of attitude.

That may take longer to do, but then most quality results are a result of quality time and effort put in. ADI's are constantly being pressured by the time and cost to get someone to test, which puts pressure on them, not a good basis to teach or learn under.

Board footer