You are not logged in.

#1 20-03-13 18:33:46

Tiamaria
Website

First check test coming up.

first check test just a few weeks away now, early one at 9 oclock, with no chance of getting a student that early. sad
so have decided to go for the role play option.
Been sent a list of subjects, (quite limited choice) and think i will be going for MSM and pedestrian crossings, so at least i can work out my route before hand.
Mixed feelings about it, as i want to get a grade, so i am excited, but a bit nervous too i guess.

Been reading through everyones posts on here, and think i am sorted in my head what to do.
Just treat it as a normal lesson, simples!   wink
i hope so anyway! 
any other advice would be good!

Part 1 04/11/11 99/63 big_smile
part 2 12/12/11 first time 4 minors smile
part 3 04/07/12 first time 4/4. big_smile
Check test grade 4

20-03-13 18:33:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: First check test coming up.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 21-03-13 12:58:51

absadi
Verified Member
Website

I did mine on MSM and pedestrian crossings and it was 11 o'clock and I took one of my pupils.
I sure there will plenty for good advice for you specially from ADI trainers.
when design a route make sure to have an escape route for any unexpected situations and have an extension plan if you were to come back early.

#3 21-03-13 22:24:38

Evan
Administrator

Get the DIA book titled 'Get That Grade 6' good read and puts things into a nice simple order.

Good luck

#4 22-03-13 09:30:10

brod
Banned

Do not plan a route for a check test to many things could go wrong at the last minute such as, road closures, accidents, emergency repairs. All these things could hold you up and and make you late back, bad planning.
It is always best to plan an AREA that is compatable to your learners needs. An area will always give you escapes should you need them.

#5 22-03-13 16:42:08

Dave789
Website

Hi Tiamaria,

I recently watched a video on  driving-instructor.tv about check tests. I always thought the examiner could choose any subject on a check test. I don't know if its changed, or it has always been the same. Like you said, they now present a choice for the ADI of different broad subjects areas. Anyway that certainly makes it easier to prepare for a single although broad subject, rather than all of them.

On my next check test I think I will go for that one, if I have a similar problem getting a pupil there, or they don't turn up - mainly because of the location of the test centre.

However, the general advice from that video was to choose junctions. They saw that as easier. They said something like 'if you do pedestrian crossings and MSM, well MSM includes MSPSL so you will basically be working all the time during the check test (POM, MSM to park MSPSL for any junction and whatever pedestrian crossings that are on the route)'.

You might find it useful to subscribe to that website just for a week in the run up to the test. There are also usually some free videos available there anyway.

All the best and I hope it goes well

Dave

www.driver-training-direct.com

#6 05-04-13 06:32:12

Tiamaria
Website

1 week to go, and wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice. 
Think i am now as prepared as i can be.  the route is planned but not set in stone,  so have an "escape route"  as was suggested. 
I am not that knowledable of this test centre area,  hence having to have some kind of route. 
Will be driving the route with my daughter as my "pupil"  to see how it all works. 
Got some things printed off to give the student at the end and have my trusty training folder to hand.  Im ready!!  bring it on!!

(still a little nervous though!) hmm

Part 1 04/11/11 99/63 big_smile
part 2 12/12/11 first time 4 minors smile
part 3 04/07/12 first time 4/4. big_smile
Check test grade 4

#7 05-04-13 06:54:32

Evan
Administrator

Try and work out a place to stop somewhere in the middle of your check test, it will give you a little break and also your pupil. Good luck.

Last edited by Evan (05-04-13 06:55:43)

#8 05-04-13 06:55:25

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Your daughter is probably a good choice of pupil.  I would pick a pupil who I had a really good relationship/rapport with. Whilst the pupil knows they arent being tested some are nervous and it is better to have someone who you could be fairly certain of how they would react so there would be less chance of having to change the subject mid test. Good luck!

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 05-04-13 07:10:49

brod
Banned

Evan wrote:

Try and work out a place to stop somewhere in the middle of your check test, it will give you a little break and also your pupil. Good luck.

Thumbs up to that one Evan.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 05-04-13 10:24:32

Terrier
Banned

Dave789 wrote:

Hi Tiamaria,

I recently watched a video on  driving-instructor.tv about check tests. I always thought the examiner could choose any subject on a check test. I don't know if its changed, or it has always been the same. Like you said, they now present a choice for the ADI of different broad subjects areas. Anyway that certainly makes it easier to prepare for a single although broad subject, rather than all of them.

On my next check test I think I will go for that one, if I have a similar problem getting a pupil there, or they don't turn up - mainly because of the location of the test centre.

However, the general advice from that video was to choose junctions. They saw that as easier. They said something like 'if you do pedestrian crossings and MSM, well MSM includes MSPSL so you will basically be working all the time during the check test (POM, MSM to park MSPSL for any junction and whatever pedestrian crossings that are on the route)'.

You might find it useful to subscribe to that website just for a week in the run up to the test. There are also usually some free videos available there anyway.

All the best and I hope it goes well

Dave

www.driver-training-direct.com

Dave, unless your next check is due before April 2014 you won't be able to do a role play check test because the DSA are stopping them.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#11 05-04-13 10:27:45

Terrier
Banned

brod wrote:

Do not plan a route for a check test to many things could go wrong at the last minute such as, road closures, accidents, emergency repairs. All these things could hold you up and and make you late back, bad planning.
It is always best to plan an AREA that is compatable to your learners needs. An area will always give you escapes should you need them.

I would be careful with that because you must have a route that is appropriate for the subject and the level of your pupil, however i would agree that you need flexibility with a back up route incase road conditions affect your original route.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#12 05-04-13 10:35:03

brod
Banned

I agree with you Terrier.
That is why i would prefer and why i said its best to plan an AREA that best suits the pupils needs.

#13 05-04-13 20:30:13

Evan
Administrator

brod wrote:

I agree with you Terrier.
That is why i would prefer and why i said its best to plan an AREA that best suits the pupils needs.

Agreed and one point that seems to get overlooked when discussing check tests, is the fact that the pupil will feel nervous and under pressure.

Some of this can be due to transference of nerves from instructor to pupil, so it's not only important to have a good knowledge of the area you intend taking your pupil, but also options for escape for them if you need to change the lesson, should they melt down at the wrong moment.

#14 06-04-13 12:23:23

Madiggy
Verified Member

My advice would always be the same, - Take some training. This industry is so insular we rarely see others work or allow others to see our work, this leads to how good are your self evaluation skills, and would you see what the Examiner would see?

Note the CT is not done on line, the examiner needs to see all, including personality, rapport, delivery, and you at work in your environment.

Good luck.

CONFIDENTIAL CHECK TEST TRAINING
http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk/
Life & Executive Coaching
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#15 06-04-13 14:35:14

Evan
Administrator

Agree Madiggy it helps a lot to have someone in the back critiquing your lessons. Don't forget they give compliments as well as criticism and it can give good pointers as to how you can tweak your lesson presentation.

#16 23-04-13 06:44:44

bradders
Verified Member

Anyone local to Dorset - Poole area who would like to offer some help on a looming check test for someone like me who is very rusty indeed ...... please as offers gratefully accepted.  Not working at the moment so can fit in with any time or day, happy to contribute to petrol and learning and time.  Not teaching anyone yet but I have a possible pupil who is a daughters friend, will only charge her for petrol and wear and tear, as so rusty.

Hypnotherapist, Artist, Picture Framer, GDB (general dogs body) and ADI - 2002

'We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are'. Anais Nin

Board footer