You are not logged in.

#1 16-04-13 09:39:50

thomo2710

Failed Test - What should i have done??

Hi,

Failed my first test.

I was at a roundabout, just started to pull out when a car came around at the speed of sound, so i slammed the brakes on (which caused the driver behind to also break!)

So i failed for stopping suddenly and causing the person behind to stop suddenly. (examiner classed as dangerous)

So obviously i couldn't go as the car coming around would have wiped me out. And i failed for stopping suddenly.

What should i have done in this situation to please the examiner?

TIA

16-04-13 09:39:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Failed Test - What should i have done??

#2 16-04-13 10:45:27

Roadmaster
Verified Member

A bit of forward planning and early observation on approach.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 16-04-13 12:44:03

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Without being there, it is impossible to be sure what happened.

What you need to ask yourself is

1. Was I watching cars coming around carefully enough
2. Did I accelerate away enough to have entered the roundabout without causing the car coming around any problems.
3. Did i need to brake as hard as I did causing problems to the car behind.

Somewhere amongst those answers you will be able to work out how you could have dealt with it better.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 16-04-13 14:03:21

(ROG)
Verified Member

thomo2710 wrote:

Hi,

Failed my first test.

I was at a roundabout, just started to pull out when a car came around at the speed of sound, so i slammed the brakes on (which caused the driver behind to also break!)

So i failed for stopping suddenly and causing the person behind to stop suddenly. (examiner classed as dangerous)

So obviously i couldn't go as the car coming around would have wiped me out. And i failed for stopping suddenly.

What should i have done in this situation to please the examiner?

TIA

the situation you describe is exactly the one I was faced with the other day and I did exactly what you did

I do not have xray vision so could not see the mad prat who must have approached the opposite side of the well built up rounabout from me

The car behind also braked hard but stopped in time because I had to to avoid colliding with the mad prat

There are some situations that are impossible to foresee

Any driver behind you has the responsibility of being able to stop no matter why you did

If the situation was exactly the same as mine and it does seem so from the way you describe it then the examiner is also a prat

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#5 16-04-13 14:43:57

martin_t
Verified Member

I'm certainly with Rog on this. These things can happen (though very rarely, given a reasonable standard of the driver entering the roundabout). However, kaf has covered the questions that need asking - the answers could be yes, yes and no, in which case Rog is right with his last sentence (however, I doubt it...)

#6 16-04-13 19:38:56

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Because I wasnt sitting in on the test I cant give a definitive answer however If you have been forced to brake harshly then it is a planning/ speed on approach issue.
If a car had been following me closely approaching a Roundabout I would have been going more slowly than usual. I would also be anticipating that a car could be approaching from the right at the 'speed of sound', as I would say that this is a very common occurence.

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#7 16-04-13 20:26:23

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Planned better,observed better and been proactive rather than reactive.
I had a similar situation with one of my students yesterday.His complete overreaction to a car appearing,after deciding it was safe to go,started out of junction,saw car,piled the anchors on at which point i got whiplash and the person behind nearly swallowed her steering wheel.
Dont blame anyone,get better.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#8 16-04-13 21:49:28

martin Williams
Verified Member

My personal view is anyone can make a mistake on their test but if they don't realise or understand why they have failed before the examiner tells them they have not prepared properly for the test.

Lots of helpful information above and some which is of no help at all. None on here know what happened so the best thing to do is go back to your ADI trainer for advice and extra training.

Hope your second attempt goes well.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 17-04-13 06:39:12

RobC
Verified Member
Website

martin Williams wrote:

My personal view is anyone can make a mistake on their test but if they don't realise or understand why they have failed before the examiner tells them they have not prepared properly for the test.

Agree with Martin.
Test nerves can affect learners judgement on tests however Roundabouts need a lot of practise and forward planning as most full licence holders approach them too fast, position wrongly, signal wrongly (or not at all) or all three. Some roundabouts at my test centres even include hillstarts!

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#10 17-04-13 07:29:50

Evan
Administrator

Martin and Rob both make excellent points in their posts. With regards roundabouts and forward planning, you cannot practice enough. I have said before on threads, I teach this to the exclusion of manoeuvres, till I am happy that pupils have a reasonable grasp of it. The OP illustrates exactly why.

#11 20-04-13 22:48:56

bradders
Verified Member

It would be unprofessional of anyone to say you were unfairly marked, without being there at the time and having witnessed the facts. Furthermore you should drive safely with due care and attention on your test, to show your ability to drive independently, not to please the examiner! The examiner can only mark as they see fit. It is also quite possible the examiner had seen the car before you had, as you would have been concentrating on driving the car and also making safe observations.  Test nerves also have an effect on driving.  The driver behind is responsible for being able to stop in the distance he/she can see to be clear. 

Possible reasons you may have been given a dangerous driving fault, but without being there, just a wild guess.
having committed yourself when it was not safe to do so? Awareness and planning.
committed yourself - driven too slowly, stopping suddenly and causing an obstruction to oncoming traffic?  Hesitation...... issues.

Roundabouts are a major cause of rear shunts, when a car is moving onto the roundabout and they suddenly stop, due to a vehicle coming from their right that is already on the roundabout.

Follow the advice on here and practice, practice, practice but don't beat yourself up or the examiner.  It is just one of those grey areas that no one can comment on as they were not there at the time.

Last edited by bradders (20-04-13 23:13:14)

Hypnotherapist, Artist, Picture Framer, GDB (general dogs body) and ADI - 2002

'We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are'. Anais Nin

#12 24-05-13 18:07:32

SlowGlen

This situation happens frequently in the Wanstead test area (East London). Observation is crucial and when you commit to go you must be very positive. Indeed, when I passed my test in a 1.4 diesel, I would purposively hold the revs up so the turbo would assist on pull away at roundabouts like Charlie Brown [beginning of M11, junction 3 but not] ie about 1600rpm. The best advice my ADI gave is to approach more slowly and try and keep the car moving. Eco driving must take second place over safety.

Turning to the question of hesitation. You should always wait until you have a safe gap but in some circumstances like the one the OP outlined, you may have have to cause 'nutters' to ease off/brake when you pull away with gusto. This is 'real' driving which unfortunately falls into a grey area for the purposes of the DSA driving test. To counter this, my advice would be to wait until a large enough gap presents itself. This may take some time. You could talk to the examiner and explain what you are doing. Better to get a couple of minors for borderline hesitation than a serious, instant fail error.

Good luck to the OP.

#13 30-05-13 11:01:38

Steptron
Website

Don't worry yourself too much about this, believe it or not the same thing happened to me except the oncoming car was a white van (yes some of the rumours about them are true), I was on a very busy roundabout when a white van came hurtling out of the exit I had just passed and instead of getting in lane it appeared to be coming straight for me, I checked my mirrors and moved into the lane to my right to avoid the van hitting me, which I am sure you will agree as will many other drivers if a car or van is coming straight for you your immediate reaction is to get out the way if you can without causing an danger to other, which is what I did, but I got a nice big X by a serious fault.  Upon returning to the test centre my examiner told me that I had failed because of my actions on the roundabout, apparently I should of held firm, I was in the right, I was in the correct lane for my exit it was the van in the wrong (can't deny that), however because I was in the right I should of stayed where I was and not moved out of the vans way to avoid being side swiped, the examiner said if the van had of hit you it would have been their fault and not mine, so I asked him to clarify, I said, so you are telling me if I hadn't of moved and the van would of hit me then I would not have failed my test, yes that is correct, it was the van at fault not you, he said my failing was due to circumstances on that day.  I could not believe my ears, and when I told my instructor he was fuming, why this happened we will never know but don't let it get to you, don't give up take your test again, a different day, different road users, the chances of that happening again on your test are very slim so try not to worry about it.  wink

Steptron - http://www.dsbs.co.uk - QUALITY TRAINING = FEWER LESSONS + BETTER NEW DRIVERS

Board footer