You are not logged in.

#1 12-04-13 10:53:57

Tiamaria
Website

First check test done! sigh of relief!!

Well check test completed this week.  glad its all over.
Used the examiner to role play for MSM and pedestrian crossings.
I passed,  but was a bit gutted to only get a grade 4, but at least its a pass and for my first check test i supoose i shouldnt be unhappy, but am a bit of a perfectionist and beat myself up if i dont do as well as i thought i could!!
I Felt it went really well, i had spotted all her faults, given her a resolution to them and she was much improved,  and doing everything right that i could see,
so thought i did really well.
To only be given a grade 4 though, seemed a bit harsh.

I feel a bit confused on some of the feedback i received so wonder if anyone can shed some light on it?

she told me that she was checking the mirrors and then signalling straight after, which i saw,  and thought was correct,
But she said that i should have told her to count to 2 before applying the signal????? hmm
This seems wrong to me,  as if you delay by 2 seconds,  everything could have changed behind you. 
Have i missed something here??

any feedback would be helpful..

Part 1 04/11/11 99/63 big_smile
part 2 12/12/11 first time 4 minors smile
part 3 04/07/12 first time 4/4. big_smile
Check test grade 4

12-04-13 10:53:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: First check test done! sigh of relief!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 12-04-13 11:06:24

mikerow
Verified Member
Website

Well done on a 4 there is nothing wrong with that.

Was your pupil doing mirror and signal or mirror to check its safe then giving the signal if appropriate?
Sometimes they look in the mirror because we tell them to but they don't look in the mirror to see what's there.

On my ct I was told to keep the recap short and to get out an the road but was marked down for not giving a good recap on the
previous lesson.

http://www.learnnpass.co.uk/

Driving should be fun

#3 12-04-13 11:37:05

Terrier
Banned

As the lessons was based on MSM, you needed to be sure that the pupil was actually acting on what was seen in the mirrors, it's true to say that pupils tend to do the actions of looking in the mirrors but don't actually act on what they see.

It may have been useful to use some Q&A when the mirrors were going to be used, for example; tell me what you see in the mirrors and what are you going to do about it, if you get in early it will give the pupil time to answer. The problem is the instructor sees the pupil check the mirrors and assumes the pupil has seen everything and will act accordingly, the answer here is never trust the pupil, you need to get in their heads and find out what they are thinking.

I once did a 50 mile motorway lesson for pass plus with a pupil which went very well, when we left the motorway we joined a dual carriageway and after telling the pupil we were going to turn right she looked in the centre mirror signalled and tried to move into the path of a Jaguar, this was after dozens of successful lane changes on the motorway, you can't trust learner drivers ever, check check and double check everything.

Well done on you result though, I'm sure you will improve your standard as you gain more experience.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#4 12-04-13 13:01:18

Tiamaria
Website

thanks for all the feedback, i think what you have all said is right, it makes sense now,  as i was marked down on my Q&A, i thought i had been doing it right, asking all the questions,   but now that you say this, thinking back,  i never asked that question. hmm stupid really, cos i always ask my students that question.
Makes much more sense now, thanks for all your help.

Check test grade 4

#5 12-04-13 15:21:39

Evan
Administrator

Well done on your grade 4 don't be down about it, that's ok for a first check test. Learners and mirrored eh, they look but don't see. It's a strange fact that the mirrors are the first thing that go after they pass then they stop signalling. As has been said never take your eyes off 'em lol.

Last edited by Evan (12-04-13 15:31:44)

#6 12-04-13 15:50:40

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Well done on your result.
I think the Ex could have been a bit more forthcoming with the feedback,giving a reason for 2 seconds rather than just a random ammount of time.Its a bit like telling pupils tyres and tarmac and not explaining the reasons.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 12-04-13 19:24:35

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Tiamaria wrote:

Well check test completed this week.  glad its all over.
she told me that she was checking the mirrors and then signalling straight after, which i saw,  and thought was correct,
But she said that i should have told her to count to 2 before applying the signal????? hmm

To me this is nonsense. It takes a very short time to look in a mirror and assess what's there - vehicle or no vehicle - doesn't take 2 seconds. If you're mid way around a roundabout and want to exit, if I check mirrors and wait 2 seconds before I signal I'll be off the roundabout. To me this is most unhelpful advice and should be taken up with someone higher up the chain. Does ANYONE teach a 2 second gap before mirrors?

#8 12-04-13 19:39:05

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Agree with you Chris;never heard of this 2 second rule.
Check mirrors and take into account what you see.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#9 13-04-13 06:34:16

Tiamaria
Website

So where should i go from here?  am now a bit confused and dont want to be teaching my students the wrong thing, maybe i got the wrong end of the stick from her, oh why didnt i ask her for more detail??  annoyed at myself now! roll

Check test grade 4

#10 13-04-13 07:05:02

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Agree with Chris effective mirror checks can be carried out in probably less than a second, two second checks are unworkable.

The pupil should be looking in their mirrrors and assessing what they see before they apply a signal.  If the pupil merely glances in the mirror then use Q&A ie what they are looking for? why do we check out mirrors before signalling? and then advise how to carry out effective checks, ie effective observations, not a glance but not staring.

Last edited by RobC (13-04-13 07:22:31)

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

Board footer