You are not logged in.

#1 11-04-13 09:06:04

mjff88

Franchise or go alone?

Morning!

I'm hoping to start doing my driving instructor training within the next month or two and looking ahead as I like to do, I was wandering what your experiences are of whether it's better to go alone or do it franchised through a company such as the AA.

Do they (AA) really source you a decent amount of customers or do you end up sourcing a lot of them yourself?

If going alone, would you rent a dual control car or buy one? How much a month would you put aside for each (including insurance & petrol) - on average.

Cheers for any help and I'm sure I'll have loads more for you smile

11-04-13 09:06:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Franchise or go alone?

#2 12-04-13 13:40:18

Tiamaria
Website

hi mjff88, and weclome. smile
i had a similar thing to think about, and after talking to other ADIs i decided to go down the indie route for both my training and setting up my business.  I bought a vauxhall corsa whilst i was training for my part 2, had dual controls fitted etc.
i suppose the thing to think about is how much work you would want, if they say they supply you with pupils then it could be a good option.  but i am sure they will always say they can supply you with pupils.....i would be a little wary to be honest, but thats just me.
I didnt want the commitment of having to work that many hours to pay a large franchise fee.  but then you may get the security from them i guess.
Is there a long contract to sign for??
My insurance is actually a lot cheaper than i thought it would be, under 400. 
I thought this was good value considering the amount of cover and people able to drive my car. i was paying just under this before anyway, and it is now tax deductable!

Part 1 04/11/11 99/63 big_smile
part 2 12/12/11 first time 4 minors smile
part 3 04/07/12 first time 4/4. big_smile
Check test grade 4

#3 12-04-13 13:52:49

Tiamaria
Website

just spotted another post similar to this which may be worth you reading through mjff88, you can find it in the same driving instrtuctor forum page, think it is called "a few queries before ......"...  someone else asking similar questions to yours.

Last edited by Tiamaria (12-04-13 13:53:34)

Check test grade 4

#4 12-04-13 21:51:09

mjff88

Hello thanks for replying :-)

I think I too will be going down the local route for my training rather than going through a major company and throwing cash about needlessly. I'm also now set on running it myself rather than franchised. I'll be working it alongside my current job to begin with whilst I build up my reputation and customer base.

The 400 you pay for insurance is for the year I imagine?
I can get a leased Fiesta 1.4 tdci Edge for 80 a week - does this sound reasonable smile

What other costs are there other than the car & insurance. Fuel, advertising, website - Am I missing anything?

Just managed to register drive-school.co.uk which I thought would've been taken a long long time ago smile

Thanks again

#5 13-04-13 06:23:46

Tiamaria
Website

think you made the right decision to to go local for your training.  i saved a fortune! 
I instruct alongside a full time job, but i warn you now it can be hard, i dont seem to have a lot of free time for me any more!
Yes 400 a year to insure, but this is still depending on the area you live too.
With the lease i assume that includes all servicing mot, tax etc?  just there are so many good new and second hand car deals out there now, and lots with 0% interest!.  if you think that you will be driving a car anyway, and paying for all these things normally to me it makes more sense to buy my own car whichi is what i did.  do you really want to be paying 80 everyweek, before you even earn anything.  sad
great that you have registered your domain name.
to be honest though,  i think that you are looking a little too far ahead at the moment, if i were you,  i would just concentrate on the training first.
you might even find that you hate instructing, its not for everyone!!

Check test grade 4

#6 13-04-13 06:50:07

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Well done tiamaria, there's some very sensible advice & comments there from a relative newbie ADI.

No driving school can guarantee giving you work,  but they'll happily sign you up and accept your guarantee that you will pay them for the next year or two.   Depending on the area,  it's very tough indeed at present to find any work.

If you can afford it, buying a car is the best option, because if things don't work out you have an asset to sell.  And the running costs will be less than what you pay in franchise or lease fees.

Board footer