You are not logged in.

#1 09-05-10 13:55:58

itsjojustjo

Its taken me a year of lessons !!! and im still not there!

I am running out of money fast!
Pretty sure I am becoming a laughing stock with my fmaily as its taking so long !
I am getting really impatient....Its not my driving instructor, I just do one thing wrong then I lose it completely!

My monouvres are pretty good only JUST got reversing round a corner after at least 4 lessons on it !

I make silly mistakes like not slowing down through crossroads and get in to plenty of trouble for going the wrong way and such ! Im 26 and getting very frustrated arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh lol

i needed that rant neutral

09-05-10 13:55:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Its taken me a year of lessons !!! and im still not there!

#2 09-05-10 13:57:10

itsjojustjo

though one good thing my turn in the road is ace lol

#3 09-05-10 18:21:32

mon
Verified Member
Website

My cousin is 46 and only passed her UK test last month,keep calm,keep focused and most of all keep on the left side of the road..lol

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

#4 09-05-10 20:45:27

philb15

It's sometimes good to rant and get it out smile

If you find that you are on your lessons and make a mistake try and catch yourself before becoming frustrated.  At that point ask your instructor to allow you to drive off and practice junctions or another maneuver and come back to it in 5mins.  That way you clear your head and then start fresh on the next attempt.

As for your test, don't dwell on the mistake thats just occurred.  Once again, catch yourself before beating yourself up about the mistake and turn 100% of your concentration on to the next piece of driving.  Remember, the examiner will take into account how you move on and one of the skills of driving is not to let the mistakes effect you for the rest of the journey.

You will get there, I can assure you smile

#5 09-05-10 20:59:33

bellydancer

I used to memorise each action for each maneourve or even for what to do when approaching a junction etc and before I get to the junction, I would say the steps out loud and get the gears, speed etc correct.
Didnt work all the time  sad sometimes it is done a bit too early or too late or got too nervous of other cars  :oops: but it sure was very helpful   tongue

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#6 09-05-10 21:10:21

philb15

I used to memorise each action for each maneourve or even for what to do when approaching a junction etc and before I get to the junction, I would say the steps out loud and get the gears, speed etc correct.
Didnt work all the time  sad sometimes it is done a bit too early or too late or got too nervous of other cars  :oops: but it sure was very helpful   tongue

Good idea.  Think back to when your instructor first taught you about the maneuver and the verbal instruction.  Over time your instructor will lower the instruction level but you can always keep repeating your instructors words in your head or out loud.  Theoretically your instructor should still throw in some questions or prompts if required to keep you on the right track  big_smile

#7 11-06-10 23:23:02

walsh
Verified Member

None of the usuall suspects in here, wonder why?

No worries mate. We're not all the same and your just taken longer than others do.

End of the day it's more important being a good safe driver than having done it quickly and cheaply. Yes its cost you more but as  long as your happy with your instructions and your giving it all you've nothing to be ashamed of and you will get there.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 14-06-10 22:00:40

robinsamuels
Verified Member
Website

bellydancer wrote:

Good idea.  Think back to when your instructor first taught you about the maneuver and the verbal instruction.  Over time your instructor will lower the instruction level but you can always keep repeating your instructors words in your head or out loud.  Theoretically your instructor should still throw in some questions or prompts if required to keep you on the right track  big_smile

One thing I do with pupils of mine who are struggling to remember routines is to get them to "instruct" me. I drive and they have to prompt me in the same way that I would have done for them. I find that, not only is it a few minutes of hilarity and fun, they are forced to think much earlier (and slower) about what they need to tell me and, when they are driving again themselves, they continue to slow their thought processes down and get it right more often than not.

When it gets to the stage of sadobestionecrophilia, give up: Otherwise known as flogging a dead horse!

http://www.robinsdriving.co.uk

#9 26-08-10 21:55:54

Lily-Anne
Verified Member
Website

I find commentary driving is quite a good tool with my learners.  They have to concentrate to say what they see.  I'd definitely give it a try, get your instructor to give you a demo then have a practice.

LA

http://www.centraladitraining.co.uk
BA, Dip Di, Cardington 'A', NLP Practitioner using coaching as a life skill.
http://www.aicoachingsolutions.com

#10 29-08-10 16:17:08

Rob19

Over the years I have had a couple of pupils like you and when they did take their test passed 1st time  big_smile Their test passes were not a fluke either. So stick at it and you will get there.

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet Registered Trainer, RoSPA Diploma, IAM, Cardington Special Test Grade A, Driving Instructor Trainer, Full PCV licence holder, Member of DIA and MSA

#11 27-09-10 06:54:27

razzie

Dont worry about it - it took me 2 years! I know how fustrating it is and even more fustrating when people say this - but you will get there.
Keep going and dont give up, it really is worth all the stress (and the expense)

#12 27-09-10 07:35:57

G
Verified Member
Website

I would agree with Rob, the 3 pupils who have found it hardest to learn & have taken the longest time have all passed 1st time. I would also agree with commentary driving but tell yourself what you see not your instructor then you will answer your own questions.
Good luck & keep plugging away you will get there  smile

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#13 27-09-10 23:07:45

scannermanh
Verified Member

Took on a pupil last year, had been training for 10 years, yes I did say 10, had 5 test fails in his pocket.
When we started he found my methods different and questioned my compedence but after 4 tricky months changed what was needed and he passed with 5 DFs. I am not better than his previous trainers, just different, so try another ADI, it may work for you.

Scannermanh the Muppet
nils

#14 04-08-11 15:18:10

MattyH

10 years but only 5 fails the boy should have taken more tests !

#15 24-09-11 19:07:07

kate colette

ive taken three years of lessons and im now onto my third instructor im 54 and so nervous at junctions and roundabouts done the test once and failed make mistakes sometimes with clutch control so fed up but really want to get it right

#16 17-10-11 16:27:30

EmmaLearner

ive taken three years of lessons and im now onto my third instructor im 54 and so nervous at junctions and roundabouts done the test once and failed make mistakes sometimes with clutch control so fed up but really want to get it right

I used to be like this but am not anymore. When my instructor used to take me down a road which I knew had a roundabout in it, I used to get so nervous and panicked and it was horrible. I think it is just confidence more than anything, with my 2nd instructor (current) she doesn't make me feel nervous and I am more confident so instead of panicking, I just look what is on the roundabout and find a gap to get on and round and am not a defensive driver like I used to be. You will get there x I have my test booked for January

#17 23-08-12 20:08:43

Becky94

I am currently having lessons at http://www.drivingfactorlessons.co.uk . I have already booked my test and at first I was realy confident but after reading other people's experiences I have become very anxious about it.  sad

#18 23-08-12 20:27:13

Evan
Administrator

Don't read anything into other people's experiences Becky. I hear it all the time from pupils about this examiner is supposed to be tough, this one is mean, they don't want the lady examiner.

What you need for your test is the ability to drive confidently and carry out the manouevres. Listen to your ADI don't get caught up in all the rumour about tests and why people have failed.

#19 23-08-12 20:42:52

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Becky, do not be put off by others.

If your driving is good enough on the day, you will pass, it it is not, then you probably won't.

Trust your instructors judgement and just drive normally, do not try to drive differently on your test.

If anything comes up that you are unsure about, just ask yourself, 'what would I do if I had passed my test and was driving on my own?'

Good luck.

#20 25-08-12 15:13:39

Becky94

Thank you very much for your support!!

#21 19-02-13 21:32:26

Saint_Albans_ADI
Website

I do wonder sometimes why people in this day do not opt for automatic lessons and take and pass a test in an auto

If the need be it is always an option to go a gear conversion at a later stage.. Or just keep on year after year getting despondent and upset with not gaining a licence to drive and struggle on with gears .

I know not everyone will agree but most if not all cars a available with an automatic option... Last time I was in the USA most of the cars were auto

Driving Lessons in and around Saint Albans Hertfordshire
www.i-passed.co.uk

#22 12-08-13 18:32:49

samydriving
Website

Keep going you'll get there - pretend like you are a driver, not a learner!

Samy

Samy School of Motoring
http://www.crawleydrivingschool.co.uk/
Twitter: Samy Driving
Facebook: Samy School of Motoring / Tel: 07958 983 223

#23 14-08-13 15:59:29

JonathanG
Website

samydriving wrote:

Keep going you'll get there - pretend like you are a driver, not a learner!

Samy

Hi Samy Driving (Lucy \ Emiele), fancy seeing you here  big_smile

Read our awesome FREE SEO advice we posted on this forum:
http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/vi … ?id=349122:
For more information about our services:
www.zingycreations.com

Board footer