You are not logged in.

#1 06-02-13 19:59:27

Evan
Administrator

Does it pay to work in this country

I was teaching a female pupil January 2012 she had just turned 17, she paid for 10 hours and seemed to be doing ok. One day in the car she announced she was ''feeling broody'' and hated her job working in a Pizza outlet.

Now this was quite out of the blue and she had no boyfriend as she was always on about being on her own.

She didn't have lessons for about a month or so, then contacted me to tell me she was pregnant  roll and would not be having lessons till after the birth of her baby. No problems for me but, I have to say I was a bit surprised/disgusted that she was pregnant that quick when she had no boyfriend and no relationship. (call me old fashioned).

The child was born on December 25th, she is not with the father (obviously) and is now being helped in viewing houses as she now at the age of 18 and after paying so much into the system, needs somewhere to live with her child and all the entitlements that are on offer for a young mum who has paid so much in.

So it just makes me wonder why those of us who work bother, if things are just handed on a plate to people.

It's probably more annoying as my daughter got married last November, her and her husband have been together for 5 years, they saved up bought a house have done it up themseves, and have told me that if they ever consider having a child it will put massive pressure on their finances.

I know we all hear about and know cases like this, but for goodness sake where are the morales, ethics and decency disappearing to in this country?

Last edited by Evan (06-02-13 20:02:32)

06-02-13 19:59:27

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Does it pay to work in this country

#2 06-02-13 20:36:58

The Duke

I understand what you are saying. Had pupils like that, and think they are bad off.

The Duke

#3 06-02-13 21:18:52

MGM
Verified Member

No boyfriend ...

No relationship ...

Child born on 25th December ...

Any bells ringing? wink

#4 06-02-13 21:22:06

Evan
Administrator

hahaha very good MGM  big_smile

#5 06-02-13 21:48:58

Evan
Administrator

Steve it annoys me so much, so many of the pupils I teach work in low paid jobs and have to pay for their own lessons. They are good dilligent youngsters, you can see why some look at the behaviour of their peers and lose heart in what they are doing, and ask themselves why do they bother.

The time will come when there will be too many passengers and not enough crew on this ship we are sailing on.

#6 06-02-13 22:42:31

Evan
Administrator

''Selling England by the Pound'' (Genesis), a good album and a fair description of the state of Britain today.  hmm

#7 07-02-13 07:21:30

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Our own govt departments are taking part in making people look for the easy way out.

The number of 'self employed' people has increased massively over the last eighteen months, and it's not because they are all suddenly wanting to become ADIs.

Both jobcentres and recruitment firms are now telling unemployed to register as self employed so that they can claim more benefits.   The govt is tightening up on the unemployed who sit at home doing nothing to look for work, so now they are told to go self employed, so they can still sit at home and then  claim working tax credits because their earnings are very low.

Working tax credit benefits can pay out a lot more than unemployment benefits.

The recruiting agencies get a bonus for getting people off the unemployment register, whilst the jobcentre can reduce the unemployment number.    But the amount being paid in benefits is rising.

Last edited by Roadmaster (07-02-13 07:25:43)

#8 07-02-13 08:14:39

Evan
Administrator

You are right RM what annoys me most though is people having children with no jobs, expecting others to support them and their children. They are actually seeing these benefits as a career and what they are paid a wage that is theirs by right.

Another example of letting idiots just do what they want, and say and do nothing for fear of upsetting them. Why is it we have to lush people up and always make allowances for ther behaviour, but the minute someone says no, there is an outcry?

Last edited by Evan (07-02-13 19:59:34)

#9 07-02-13 20:10:18

Evan
Administrator

The other side of the coin, my daughter is a nurse at the University of Wales Hospital, she phoned last night to say a young lad (16), came into her clinic yesterday and was diagnosed with mouth cancer. He was hoping to go to university and become a barrister, he is now living with a burning time bomb. His questions: ''will I lose my hair, what treatment will I have etc.''

So in one case you have someone deliberately throwing their lives away, and in the other case a young lad fighting just to stay alive.

Last edited by Evan (07-02-13 21:00:41)

#10 07-02-13 21:11:14

Evan
Administrator

Peter I am happy for the government to pay any amount to people who are genuinely ill, but have reservations about rewarding those who commit deliberate contrived behaviour and malingerers who have absolutely no intention of ever working.

#11 07-02-13 21:26:10

Evan
Administrator

It's stories like this that make me so angry Peter, so much effort put into living by those with so little time to live whilst others who have everything to live for just squander their lives. My own nephew died when he was just 7 years of age of a brain tumour, he was such a gutsy little chap, and never moaned about his situation.

Maybe if the young people spent a day in an oncology ward they may have their eyes opened to what life is all about.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#12 08-02-13 07:44:53

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

It's a very difficult situation. On the one hand the money is provided to ensure the baby isn't living in 'poverty', but the mother may have deliberately abused the system. The idea behind the system is superb (supporting those in need) but the abuse is always going to exist in any system (those who use it to not work). It needs tweaking, but not taking away.

It's that system that got me to where I am now (I have 2 kids) and I remain grateful to a government that supported me when I had 2 children, very little money and was training to become an ADI.

In terms of tackling issues, I think hunting the tens of billions dodged in tax by corporations is far more important than the significantly smaller amount abused by the ever present lazy.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#13 08-02-13 07:47:45

Evan
Administrator

''I remain grateful to a government that supported me when I had 2 children, very little money and was training to become an ADI.''

That is the fundemental difference Rob, you were helped out when you needed it but you did something to get yourself out of the situation, not engineer and manipulate things to get yourself onto benefits.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 08-02-13 09:28:36

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

That is the fundemental difference Rob, you were helped out when you needed it but you did something to get yourself out of the situation, not engineer and manipulate things to get yourself onto benefits.

Totally agree, which is where the 'tweaking' of the system needs to occur - without it being damaged. I want the same system to be there for my kids when they have kids and are 'finding their feet'.

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 08-02-13 11:37:59

martin Williams
Verified Member

Wessex wrote:

How do you tweak a system that allows a girl to get pregnant by a guy
that already has children by two other girls, they have flats and he flits
between the three?

National service?

#16 08-02-13 17:33:29

la.monikita
Verified Member

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#17 08-02-13 19:46:51

Evan
Administrator

Triker wrote:

I agree with your sentiments Rob but lets not forget, it isn't the governments money its the tax payer who supports these people. What happens when the 'tax payer' says "sod this I'm no longer working for nothing to support other peoples kids and their feckless behaviour?

I watched a program last night about the emergency services in Blackpool. Its not about holiday revelers but about the locals. There was one young woman who had one  child who says she gets 120 quid/ week benefits and the first thing she does every 'payday' is draw out 50quid and get 'hammered'. She was moaning and whinging that the 70 quid this left isn't enough to live on so she 'had to rob someone' to make ends meet.. This was typical of the area.

Call me right wing if you want but this is simply not acceptable. I don't care that she has problems with drink and drugs. I dont care that her life is boring. I dont care that she's in a rut. Tough, but unlike some people she could get up off her arse and do something about it. I'm sick and tired of people feeling sorry for themselves who think the rest of us owe them a living. If you can't afford kids 'dont have them'! Plan your lives so that you are not streched to make ends meet. Get yourself on the job ladder instead of making yourself 'unemployable'. Take responsibility for your self.

Good post Steve agree with every word, its time people got used to being told NO YOU CAN'T instead of YES YOU CAN.

Last edited by Evan (09-02-13 23:59:08)

#18 09-02-13 21:13:39

Evan
Administrator

They should give the say to the people who pay.

#19 12-02-13 20:06:12

Evan
Administrator

This is the sort of crap person who we ended up treating in the clinic I worked in Steve. People who tried to fleece the system, broke the law ended up getting caught and going to prison, then ended up being Sectioned under the Mental Health Act 1983 which gave them more rights than the average person on the street. They end up in a Medium Secure Unit then once they feel their feet they start dictating what they want. Hey presto because they are on a section a social worker is appointed and they get their demands met and then some.

It's why I left psychiatry............it's a travesty of justice and it is an insult to the hardworking people of this country who struggle to pay their way, but go to work everyday despite the difficulities they find themselves in.

#20 12-02-13 20:07:57

The Duke

Very sad drive past the house a few times a week with puples.

The Duke

#21 12-02-13 20:15:49

Evan
Administrator

It's always sad when children are involved Duke, but parents are supposed to protect their children from danger not expose them to it.

Board footer