You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 02-04-04 13:47:22

book_a _driving_lesson

Test Routes

Anyone know about test routes being published on test centre notice boards

http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/pca/documen … a22-03.htm

02-04-04 13:47:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Test Routes

#2 02-04-04 19:33:40

Liesa

All they'll be doing eventually is, putting a map of the local area up, in the DTC waiting room.

And they'll mark a great big circle around the entire test area!

I think any one with half a brain could work this information out for themselves :!:

#3 02-04-04 21:32:59

arib
Verified Member
Website

This has been ongoing for some time now and things are no further forward. Seems as though the DSA hope it will be a 9 day wonder and go away. Drawing a circle around the test centre area in not publishing test routes, nor is giving a list of streets from the A to Z. There is a box on the new DL25 which covers the test route used, 'route number' This to me is the test route and this is what should be made public as stated in the ombudsmans report.
No doubt somebody will come back and say we shouldn't teach test routes but should teach pupils to drive to any conditions. I totally agree with that. But it still boils down to the fact that the DSA have not complied with the ombudsman report.
Swept it under the mat, so to speak.

ariB

#4 02-04-04 22:22:59

DAVE-ADI

If you really want the actual test routes for your area,  phone Mr Colin Maddock at DSA customer services, and he will get them sent out to you.

The test centres cannot put thenm on the notice board because there is too much detail.  In my test centre there are probably 15 or more routes.  To print them in detail would take up a whole wall.

And test routes change on a regular basis, mainly to avoid causing trouble to residents.   

Why do you need the actual detailed routes?

OK, it is handy, and sometimes essential, to know where the tricky bits on routes are,  but what other purpose can you use them for?

#5 03-04-04 07:22:04

book_a _driving_lesson

Thanks for the reply dave,  Idon't need to know the test routes Ive been going to my local test centres for a few years now and know the tricky bits but thought it was interesting that the article said one thing and test centre wall said another!

#6 29-04-04 15:11:13

B J McLaughlin

One very good reason is that in my local centre is a sign saying "please avoid using test routes"
As a relatively new ADI, it is a bit like catch 22. And before you say it, I know that I can acompany my students but the vast majority of sudents find this very off putting.

#7 29-04-04 16:26:24

steve

B J it can be very daunting weather you are on a test route or not the best way is to go with apupil on a few tests.The problem i have were i live and liesa might back me up on this is all 3 test areas in leicester cover nearly 3/4 of leicester and probable more .I only have 3 pupils that live outside a test area.So it can be a little difficult at times.................

#8 29-04-04 18:56:49

adi
Verified Member
Website

It's impossible in my area to not be on a test route as the town is so small. I just look out for the flourescent jackets and move on and get out of the way. Depending on what time you spot other pupils out on test and their location at the time it can be relatively easy to put together the routes often used. I have never sat in on a test in nearly five years as i dont want to pressure my pupils but i would say i know nearly all routes. Some pupils are even happy enough to show you the route they went on.

#9 29-04-04 19:36:10

Liesa

Hi Steve

Your right, the way the test centres are positioned in Leicester, it's close to impossible to avoid test routes.

In fact the routes at 2 of the test centres even overlap. And the 3rd test centre has well over 30 routes, if you go anywhere within a 7 mile radius of it your on a test route :!:

#10 04-05-04 08:43:49

Mike Geary

Hi Liesa , Steve + all

I have never taught "Test Routes" .  the reason being , they acan chane at any time due to blockages on the day,

Plus,  I say that "Your going to have to deal with a road  that U have not been along in driving after test so whats the difference?

It's teaching enough, so a pup should be able to deal with any situation.

My brother-in-law works 4 BSM in cheltenham. & he has herd of 1 instructor who has a very,very high pass rate (higher than normal[his words]) who just teaches test routes.

we have often wondered how many pupils in their first 6 months of driving have an RTA or Cause an RTA?????????

Bye 4 NooOOOoooWWwwwWwwWW   Mike G>>>.........

#11 04-05-04 20:14:16

rachdrive
Website

Hi All,

I agree that teaching TEST Routes is not the way to go around it, at least not until just before the test!!!

In Some areas, however, it is essential to show tricky parts as some examiners do go for the surprise element with more than a bit of glee!!!!

I have a couple of potentially FAIL spots in my area and most would not even realise without being shown them!!!!

As long as they are being taught safe driving, then the test route only needs to enter into it for the last few lessons

Cheers
Rach 8)

Driving is for life.........Not just for xmas!!!!!

www.boydsdrivertraining.co.uk

Board footer