You are not logged in.

#1 28-11-12 17:51:34

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Road Safety Reports

A considerable time ago I signed up on a website called the Road Safety Knowledge Centre.  They send me an email every week detailing, amongst other things, reports on road safety which have been published in the last week.  I haven't paid a lot of attention to them simply because I don't get time to read them.  However, I thought I would have a look this week because it occurred to me that there seem to be an awful lot of reports and I wouldn't have thought there was any good reason. 

So I have spent about half an hour scanning one of the latest reports entitled "HGV speed limit increase evaluation: final report: DfT & TRL (DOP: 11/12)" - YAWN!  Talk about boring!  The question they posed was: Would an increase from 40mph to 50mph on single carriageways for HGV's have a detrimental effect on road safety?  The answer, perhaps surprisingly, is no.  However, it was not surprising that speeding is a massive issue for ALL vehicles and that the majority of accidents are front-end collisions caused by overtaking.  It would seem that this is an area in which training is largely insufficient.

There is also a report entitled "Engaging the Somali community in the road safety agenda: a process evaluation from the London borough of Hounslow: UCL (DOP: 8/12)".  I haven't read it but would have to say that the title smacks of the kind of money wasting exercise that politicians of all persuasions and levels seem to glory in.

I suppose that Government need to prove statistically that an action is correct before taking it but to me it just strengthens the view that these people need to talk to the experts (who aren't necessarily statisticians)

28-11-12 17:51:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Road Safety Reports

#2 28-11-12 17:58:19

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Hello Lady H, could you tell me the website address for that? Does sound mostly dull, but there must be a nugget of something useful in there!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 28-11-12 18:08:59

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Road Safety Knowledge Centre

If you find a nugget, please let us know.

#4 28-11-12 18:12:06

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Lady H Thank you, I will, although I am not hopeful of this

#5 29-11-12 13:33:29

trunkmonkey

It's disappointing you do not feel the Road Safety Knowledge Centre offers you very much.

I find it a very useful resource.

For instance in the Teenagers Section there is a recent report from the ABI, "Improving the Safety of Young Drivers"

It makes several recommendations, the majority of which impact upon the learner driver training sector.

There is a vast amount of knowledge out there. The Centre tries to tap into it.

Understanding the logic behind increasing the speed limit of an HGV to 50mph might not be at the top of a list, but reading how long it takes a car to overtake that HGV just might be important.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 29-11-12 13:53:18

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

trunkmonkey wrote:

It's disappointing you do not feel the Road Safety Knowledge Centre offers you very much.

I didn't say that...

trunkmonkey wrote:

I find it a very useful resource.

For instance in the Teenagers Section there is a recent report from the ABI, "Improving the Safety of Young Drivers"

It makes several recommendations, the majority of which impact upon the learner driver training sector.

There is a vast amount of knowledge out there. The Centre tries to tap into it.

Understanding the logic behind increasing the speed limit of an HGV to 50mph might not be at the top of a list, but reading how long it takes a car to overtake that HGV just might be important.

I'm not casting aspersions on the Centre or what it is trying to do; I am questioning why certain things are researched and regurgitating the argument that there may be other, more interested, more experienced people to consult in their deliberations.

#7 29-11-12 14:42:59

trunkmonkey

Fine,
It doesn't come across that way.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 29-11-12 17:02:56

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi

trunkmonkey wrote:

Haven't got on to the site to know their findings, but I have calculated that it is fractionally under 10secs to get from 2secs behind the lorry to 2 secs in front of it and that takes approx 1500 ft, 500yards or in foreign 457.2 metres.

Whereas with the current 20mph differential it can be done in 6 secs,  1080ft, 360yds or 329.2metres.

That is one of the arguments for increasing the lorry limit if large numbers of current national limit SCs are to be reduced to 50 limits, or against lowering the road limit because it reduces differentials.

#9 29-11-12 18:55:36

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

OMG! I really must work out how much space i have to the exact foot and my watch is running at the correct speed before i can safely overtake a HGV!

More importantly, where's my guiness?

Talk about getting a life!

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

#10 29-11-12 19:52:43

trunkmonkey

m6northtoheaven wrote:

OMG! I really must work out how much space i have to the exact foot and my watch is running at the correct speed before i can safely overtake a HGV!

More importantly, where's my guiness?

Talk about getting a life!

And while you're enjoying the black stuff  (two 'n's)  ask yourself
"Why are so many kids killed when overtaking?"

Get a life or lose a life.

Not that important really.

#11 29-11-12 21:56:52

graham121150
Verified Member
Website

pegasus wrote:

Hi

trunkmonkey wrote:

Haven't got on to the site to know their findings, but I have calculated that it is fractionally under 10secs to get from 2secs behind the lorry to 2 secs in front of it and that takes approx 1500 ft, 500yards or in foreign 457.2 metres.

Whereas with the current 20mph differential it can be done in 6 secs,  1080ft, 360yds or 329.2metres.

That is one of the arguments for increasing the lorry limit if large numbers of current national limit SCs are to be reduced to 50 limits, or against lowering the road limit because it reduces differentials.

There's a small fault in your calculations.

You are not allowing for acceleration, we are not driving farrari's

Graham

Last edited by graham121150 (29-11-12 21:58:32)

#12 30-11-12 00:01:31

graham121150
Verified Member
Website

I have a video I show pupils on overtaking, and it is a 40 - 60 overtake. It amazes the pupils how far it takes, em and it was uphill, explain what gear etc.

Graham

Board footer