You are not logged in.

#1 22-11-12 15:22:10

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

Licence to Kill

A week ago one of my pupils attended an event on road safety called Licence to Kill.  As far as I understand it, this uses dramatic presentation coupled with real people telling the story from their point of view.  It certainly had an effect on my pupil. 

The event is sponsored and supported by a range of organisations who have a concern about road safety including Kent Police, Fire and Rescue Service, Kent County Council, Medway Council, the Highways Agency, the Ambulance Service, the prison service, the safe camera partnership and the Kent People's Trust

I figured that I would like to attend one of these events so that I can see and hear precisely what message is being put across by the authorities so I fired off an email asking whether the events were open to the public i.e., me, and explaining who I was and my interest and.....................NO RESPONSE!

What can I say?  *Shrugs Shoulders*

Last edited by Lady-Hynarc (22-11-12 15:23:30)

22-11-12 15:22:10

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Licence to Kill

#2 22-11-12 15:28:49

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Why not organise your own with a few colleagues or a local association?

A few months ago we contacted the local fire station to ask if we could take a few pupils to watch one of their car accident practice sessions.   They were more than happy and used a pupil to practice cutting them out of the car.

#3 22-11-12 17:00:50

trunkmonkey

Who did you email?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 22-11-12 17:08:48

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

trunkmonkey wrote:

Who did you email?

The Licence to Kill organisers who would seem to be the Camera Safety People...

#5 23-11-12 16:50:19

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

I would like to see the Hazard Perception Test discontinued and replaced by a presentation like this.

#6 23-11-12 18:35:37

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Yes, likewise, Triker. I doubt whether all that theory test technology makes a significant difference to a pupil's knowledge, compared with a few questions before the test. The government needs to spend the least possible amount of our money and we need to keep everything simple, unless we can show good cause for doing otherwise.

#7 23-11-12 19:58:35

MGM
Verified Member

At the risk of sounding like (another?) predictable old f*rt, I'd agree.

Nearly all of my pupils have passed the theory test before I meet them, but (with a few honourable exceptions) have retained little or nothing. In its present format, it achieves very little.

I wasn't an ADi when it was introduced. Does anyone know whether there was any research at the time to assess whether it improved things?

#8 23-11-12 21:29:31

graham121150
Verified Member
Website

They knew more before the change, now they (know) nothing, they do what they do at school, learn to pass the test. But fail to understand the subject.

Graham

Edited to keep mon happy, my spellings bad I know, but I know  how to speel cool Know, the no nothing was on purpose

Last edited by graham121150 (26-11-12 19:18:07)

#9 24-11-12 00:29:52

mon
Verified Member
Website

Sorry Graham have to get in first.....that would be Know nothing...lol and i agree with all have had loads of pupils after proudly telling me Passed my TheoryTest first go mate when can i do the test? Yet an half hour later I ask them what does 2 solid lines on this road mean? Oh don't know....oh dear.

From Striving to Driving.....Lurgan Co.Armagh

#10 25-11-12 23:41:12

smithwold
Verified Member
Website

How about 10 random Highway Code questions before the driving test?
Get more than 2 wrong and no driving test!

#11 26-11-12 08:20:41

Triplea35
Verified Member

Have pupil  who is extremely nervous and has pronounced dyspraxia.

I collected her from college last week and immediately before the lesson she had been 'forced' to watch the abovementioned or similar presentation which included some very graphic video's.

It appeared to have knocked all the confidence I had built up in her first few lessons to a point where she didn't really want to drive. We discussed the presentation and went back to basics and recovered something from the lesson.

Just makes me wonder if these graphic presentations may actually put some young people off driving altogether.

#12 26-11-12 08:23:51

Evan
Administrator

The theory test in its present format, was designed to test the way pupils learn in school, rather than teach the subject properly and accurately assess the depth of knowledge and understanding learned by the candidate, and of course raise a lot of revenue in the process.

If you consider that A level candidates are all given mock test sheets to work with before they sit their exams, they become very adept at learning answers rather than the content of the question. There in lies the flaw in the system, hence the abysmal understanding of very basic rules, road signs and markings.

So, when the powers that be, want to discuss road safety, and how much ADI's are making a difference to the present poor knowledge that candidates have, they need to look at what they have created to test this knowledge, and think about its relevence to 'real life' driving situations.

Those candidates with good memories, will skim easily through a theory test and pass with very little knowledge gained, those who struggle learning this way will fail again and again, which is why ADI's like John P have been making noises about it for such a long time and rightly so.

Last edited by Evan (26-11-12 08:26:26)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 26-11-12 11:32:30

Evan
Administrator

Blindspot wrote:

I have had two pupils give up learning to drive because they cannot pass the theory test despite trying everything. Their school work is perfectly normal and their practical driving is well up to test standard.  Cannot hack the whole tv touch screen thing.  It just blows their minds.  There should be an option of a paper test like the original ones.

BS

Hi BS I have a female pupil who gave up after Christmas last year, she failed her theory 5 times and like your pupils she was fine driving the car, and also could answer questions when put to her verbally but just cannot handle the test in its present format.

#14 28-11-12 17:27:49

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

I have finally had a response.  Apparently the presentations have finished for this year but they are considering creating links with driving instructors and will be discussing this at their debriefing in December.  They may be making resources available - I wonder how much they will cost?  Ooooh I am a cynic.

#15 28-11-12 20:01:48

trunkmonkey

LH,

Did you conntact the person in the PM I sent you over the weekend?

#16 28-11-12 20:26:13

Lady-Hynarc
Verified Member

trunkmonkey wrote:

LH,

Did you conntact the person in the PM I sent you over the weekend?

TM,

Didn't get the chance...but thank you anyway.  Maybe I'll drop her an email anyway.

Board footer