You are not logged in.

#1 12-04-04 19:56:23

jonks

Log books, What do you use?

Log books, What do you use? Do you use the DSA version?

12-04-04 19:56:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Log books, What do you use?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 12-04-04 20:17:50

adi
Verified Member
Website

I use the DSA logbooks but the old one was better. The progress chart in the old style book could show progress but also a decline in various topics. It was useful to make notes for the pupil to show their parents if they were going out for a drive with them. There was plenty of room to write down appointment times too. The new one isn't really worth bothering with to be honest. If its not lost within two weeks by the pupil it's a miracle, and if it's carried around for any longer than that it starts to fall apart and looks like the dog has played with it!

#3 12-04-04 20:30:18

DrivingAmbition
Verified Member
Website

I also use the DSA log books as they show the pupils and their parents how they are doing.

For my own use I keep more detailed records on pc. Each week I updated these records and print out my own sheets for the following week.

www.drivingambition.info
Brackley, Northamptonshire.
off Road for under 17's
driving%20ambition%20logo.gif

menu_badges.gif

#4 13-04-04 08:24:16

AliceM

I used to use the old style log book.  It had space for appointment dates and I included information re their payments of block bookings etc.  When they stopped producing the old version I made my own using their sheet off the DSA web site for the syllabus and on the other side I have my details, space for appointments and my terms and conditions.  It works really well and most pupils remember it.  The only problem is if the DSA insist that pupils at test have a signed declaration of readiness for the test (which I have left off my version).  The problem with this declaration is it seems to me to be tantamount to telling the pupil they will definitely pass!

My own sheet for each pupil uses the Instructor Logbook sheet (again off the web site) which allows me to put a grade (down as well as up) against each lesson against each subject.  So I can see when we last did Turn in the Road or Emergency Stop.  On the other side I keep the details of where we went and comments re weak areas to work on (and the all important payments). 

I would never want to go back to using the DSA printed pupil logbooks.

#5 13-04-04 09:08:39

Liesa

I also use my own version of the DSA log book.

I don't think the current DSA log book goes into enough detail, when you're dealing with a learner in the early stages e.g one of the DSA headings is controls and instruments this is a bit too general for my liking!

#6 13-04-04 10:39:15

Michaela7
Website

I don't use the DSA log book I use my own version of it. I find it works very well for both my own and pupils purposes. The DSA log book is a bit too limited in some areas, I like to have more detailed records.

Friendly, female Instructor! smile

Arrow School of Motoring

Car+small+picture.jpg

#7 13-04-04 12:09:13

Midge
Website

I use my own record card, the DSA one didn't give anywhere near enough space for me , and not for the pupil either.
I need to know not just how well they could do a T.I.R. but where they did it, same with all the other things they need to learn, was it uphill, downhill, flat, busy, narrow etc.   
I give my pupils an A4 size folder, with a log sheet, homework, booking sheet, record of private practice, space for questions, plus other sheets  of information.  It builds up during their time with me.  The single sheet things all seem to get lost, but the files I use pupils alway keep, they  remember to bring them on most lessons
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#8 13-04-04 13:51:09

AliceM

Midge  smile
Your folder sounds like a good idea, though quite a lot of work and expense (compared to one sheet of card printed both sides and folded in three).  Do you find that your pupils use the private practise sheets   :?: And what kind of homework do you give?  I haven't got into the way of handing out homework sheets.
smile

#9 13-04-04 20:26:33

Midge
Website

Alice
The folders cost me about 70p each and have a clear front cover so that I can put my name, picture of car etc.  I give out a brief aide memoir of each new thing they learn, so that they can go over it when they get home.  The homework, I start off with multiple choice sheets on road signs, I have five sheets, but I  give them out over two lessons, then I have a list of questions ( they say that is really hard, but they are proud when they have finished them) , Then I give out mock tests until I consider thay are ready for the theory test.
I find parents are more likely to use the private practice sheets, some pupils use the question sheets more than others.
I think the A4 size is something they can't lose so easy.
I have a fairly good photocopier, (well it's a four in one really), so it doesn't cost much as long as I get the paper and inks fairly cheap, and most of my pupils think it's a good idea and take pride in the folder getting thicker as they cover more subjects.  Mind you I have been collecting stuff to use for about twenty years, but I still find new and better via the internet.
You certainly get a laugh when a pupil gets something wrong and they cry"but my dad (boyfriend, husband ) told me that"
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#10 13-04-04 20:55:39

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

I have made up my own log book and pupil record, I print them off when i need them.
They are both the same, I keep one copy and the pupil keeps the other in a plastic folder.

If it gets lost i then copy the one i have got onto a new one, Along with this i give them a private practice sheet from the DSA website and hand outs every week.

Things like Crossroads, Mirrors, Roundabouts. Mock test papers CD-ROM. Ive just made one for P/Park, I find it helps when they know what they are going to cover in the next lesson and if they have info about it they can go out with parents to try it out, Most don't but then some do.  At least they can get it into there head before the lesson big_smile

The DSA stuff is to much, Just one A4 card. Name and address, Time of lesson, Next lesson, Terms and conditions etc and on the reverse The DSA Syllabus.

#11 13-04-04 22:11:28

bigred
Verified Member
Website

We use our own log book, which has worked well for several years. A preprinted card exterior and 4 preprinted paper pages inside.

It has our terms and conditions, customer charter, appointments and payment record. It includes contact details for instructors and the office a few blank pages for notes and a fairly comprehensive syllabus and grading section.

Instructors are also encouraged to keep their own detailed notes.

Just reading through the posts, I think we have some way to go before we have exactly what is needed.

Regards,

#12 14-04-04 06:55:36

Bob_FOADS

Currently I use the DSA book but I'm not happy with it. As others have said the earlier version was better. The current version has no space at all for 'notes'. The only real advantage of it is that it's free  wink

Havin read the coments I think I will be making up my own version some time soon.

#13 14-04-04 06:57:05

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

As i am in the LDC franchise, i use the LDC pupil record system, which works well, and the pupils have there own records in there workbook, which is part of the unique LDC system and it works very well!

#14 14-04-04 20:45:18

Badger

I think that the DSA's idea of a Log Book is an insult to the profession.

It is a scrappy piece of paper that after a few weeks of use looks as if it has been throuigh the laundry.

I have used several versions of a log book to give pupils over the years and am currently working on the latest version.

In the log book I hand out I have the following information:

Welcome introduction
Instructors contact details
Copy of terms and conditions
Copy of ADI Code of Practice
Copy of progress sheet
Lesson notes
Stopping distances
Copy of DSA syllabus.

All contained within a cover sheet with pupil name on the outside and stapled inside a folded acetate sheet.

I am planning to use an A4 ring binder that I can add topic information sheets to for them to study.

If the DSA had any go about them at all they would produce something similar and all the subject sheets to go with it.

That would go some way towards standardising the method and content of teaching that they are so keen to do.

Hang on ! A shadow has just passed over me ..... its a flying pig.

Badger

#15 15-04-04 09:43:16

jamiejungle1

roll I have also made my own record cards,and try to keep them as simple as possible so your not messing about with sheets and sheets of paper each time you want the information.I try to make quick notes at the end of each lesson on progress made and areas of weakness.
I also took the record card into the test centre for the se.adi on my last check test which he said was an exellent idea! wink

chers jamiejungle

#16 16-04-04 21:47:20

crazymaddriver

hi all

As a PDI a lot of this is new to me I currently use the dsa log book re printed  my way (the informayion is still the same

Does any one want to share thier log books so I can get a better idea at to what to put in mine ( as a few of you dont like the dsa one i would be intrested in seeing others)
Thanks

Sal

#17 17-04-04 16:51:38

AliceM

Hi Sal

I have posted my front page of my pupil's logbook on my website (it is in Excel format) and I think you should be able to view it. On the back I print the DSA drivers_record_pupil_driver_record which you can find on their website under Instructors Log books.  I print it on a single sheet of A4 card.

www.alices.org.uk/logbooks/pupil_logbook.xls
For my own records I use:
www.alices.org.uk/logbooks/logbook.xls
with the DSA driver_record on the back.

Hope this works and is helpful.
smile

#18 18-04-04 14:29:54

VandADI
Administrator

I use the log book system purchased from www.smartdriving.co.uk. Master set of copes cost £12.95 and all I do is print off what I need, when I need it.  It is very simple to follow, and the pupil gets their own log book to fill out so that they can monitor their own progress for their eyes only!
I find this system far more superior to the DSA's version.
Vanda.

#19 18-04-04 15:10:13

Liesa

Thanks VandADI

Could you tell us a little more about them, what they cover & how much room there is to make notes etc?

The link below, will take you through to the page, where they're listed.

http://www.smartdriving.co.uk./Publications/records/Records1.htm#

Does anyone else use these log books?

#20 18-04-04 21:45:22

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Liesa,
The drivers record comes as an A4 sheet folded over to form a six sided information booklet. I have had these printed in slightly thicker then your average paper so its quite stiff, but not as stiff as card. there are three leaflets. Basic control covers cockpit drill, moving off and stopping, using the gears, steering, skill development and emergency stop. The progress is charted at 3 levels, talkthrough, prompted and solo. Each section has to reach solo level before moving off to next subject and there is adequate space to make notes etc., the second leaflet is road procedure, which covers giving signals, hazard routine, meeting vehicles, straight line reversing, turning left, emerging, turning right, turning around, crossroads, reverse to the left, roundabouts and the safety bubble.
again, talkthrough, prompted and solo apply.
Third leaflet is skill transfer which covers reversing to the right, car parks, reverse parking, overtaking, traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, railway level crossings, dual carriageways, road markings, one way systems.
I have another leaflet called safety checks which covers the SMTM, plus the one I mentioned which is given to the pupil to record their own progress which I never see.
Along with this is a similar A4 record system which I have turned into an A4 binder system which duplicates everything which is written in the pupil record so I know where I am every step of the way with the pupil.
The Smart Driving system works for me, as it provides all you need to keep an efficient, pupil record system.
Vanda.

#21 19-04-04 10:02:03

Liesa

Thanks Vandadi

Looks like a pretty comprehensive record system to me!

Don't I know you from the MSA site?

#22 04-05-04 09:11:46

Mike Geary

Hi all

I have developed mine along the lines of Midges way
An A4 zip pouch, with items of Info = Stopping distances.stuff about TT&HPT, ect
My own drivers Record, & I that the DSA L.B. Instuments & control is too gereral.

I based mine on the DL25C as thats what the pups have got to cover.
I added Weather= Wet, dry, Heavy rain, icy, snow(When Pos).sunshine (Wet &Dry) foggy.

the Pups keep it, and if they forget it  I say well how can your progress be marked if you dont bring it ?

Also, it a good place to keep the TT cert. + paper part of the Dl. coz most use the plastic  for proff of age.

Gotta Go B4 NoooOOooooowwWWWwwwww  Mike G>>>..............

Board footer