You are not logged in.

#1 29-09-12 16:19:50

ChedderBob

Eco Driving/4th Gear

Hello people would be great if you could give me some advice, the car I'm doing my lessons in drives nicely in 3rd gear at 30mph, if I go up into 4th and drop maybe to 28mph I can feel the engine vibrating a bit (is this called labouring?) now, in the test will the examiner or could the examiner give me minors or fail me for not going into 4th gear when I reach 30mph because it wouldn't make sense too if it drives fine in 3rd. The car tells me when to change gear by displaying the gear number and it tells me to change up to 4th when I reach 35mph. So can I fail or get minors for this or will it go under Eco driving which doesn't effect the result, thank you

29-09-12 16:19:50

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Eco Driving/4th Gear

#2 29-09-12 16:50:08

Mentor
Verified Member

It will be fine. My car stays in 3rd gear for all 30mph roads.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 29-09-12 17:31:46

Busheyfields
Verified Member
Website

Diesels often stay in 3rd at 30, petrol normally in 4th by 25

#4 29-09-12 17:48:26

kaf
Verified Member
Website

he car should be driven in the appropriate gear, this varies by car.  You will not pick up faults for not using 4th unless the car needs it.

You cannot be faulted in relation to eco-driving.

#5 29-09-12 18:15:14

(ROG)
Verified Member

If 4th is chosen at 30 and the examiner deems that safety is being compromised or the brakes are being substituted too often when a simple lifting off in 3rd would have made for better driving then marks could be put down on the sheet

This is where many SAFED instructors go wrong - they put economy over safety and good driving

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 29-09-12 19:46:14

Roadmaster
Verified Member

If 4th is chosen at 30 and the examiner deems that safety is being compromised or the brakes are being substituted too often when a simple lifting off in 3rd would have made for better driving then marks could be put down on the sheet

Not correct.  It isn't a fault unless the engine labours and the pupil does not react.

Last edited by Roadmaster (29-09-12 19:47:42)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 29-09-12 20:18:17

graham121150
Verified Member
Website

ChedderBob wrote:

Hello people would be great if you could give me some advice, the car I'm doing my lessons in drives nicely in 3rd gear at 30mph, if I go up into 4th and drop maybe to 28mph I can feel the engine vibrating a bit (is this called labouring?) now, in the test will the examiner or could the examiner give me minors or fail me for not going into 4th gear when I reach 30mph because it wouldn't make sense too if it drives fine in 3rd. The car tells me when to change gear by displaying the gear number and it tells me to change up to 4th when I reach 35mph. So can I fail or get minors for this or will it go under Eco driving which doesn't effect the result, thank you

Don't worry it's fine, you will NOT be marked.down.. Years ago you would but cars have changed. And so has the marking. My car will take 5th at 30 but  3rd or 4th are better.

Graham

Last edited by graham121150 (29-09-12 20:19:09)

#8 30-09-12 08:12:48

(ROG)
Verified Member

Roadmaster wrote:

Not correct.  It isn't a fault unless the engine labours and the pupil does not react.

Are you seriously saying that no fault will be recorded if too high a gear is selected and it does not labour but the brakes are constantly being used to ease off ?

IAM Observer

#9 30-09-12 09:12:38

Evan
Administrator

kaf wrote:

The car should be driven in the appropriate gear, this varies by car.  You will not pick up faults for not using 4th unless the car needs it.

You cannot be faulted in relation to eco-driving.

Thats what I like nice easy answer to the question Kaf.

Let the car dictate the gear you need for each given speed and situation, as kaf rightly says this varies from one vehicle to another.

The car may feel fine coming down a steep hill in 4th, but I would not advise doing that, as it is safer and more sensible to drop down a gear and use a combination of engine braking and normal braking. Such is driving, situation dictates what you do.

#10 30-09-12 09:13:45

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Brakes slow the car, that's what they are there for. It isn't a fault to use them.   They would only need to be be used 'constantly' if travelling down a steep hill.  In that case,  using the engine braking by selecting 3rd gear may be helpful.

#11 30-09-12 09:14:34

Evan
Administrator

Roadmaster wrote:

Brakes slow the car, that's what they are there for. It isn't a fault to use them.   They would only need to be be used 'constantly' if travelling down a steep hill.  In that case,  using the engine braking by selecting 3rd gear may be helpful.

You must have been typing your post as I was typing mine RM lol

#12 30-09-12 10:14:49

(ROG)
Verified Member

Two senarios using the same vehicle on test

First driver selects 3rd for 30 and uses the accelerator pedal for 20 minor speed adjustments over a 2 minute period

Seccond driver selects 4th for 30 and uses brakes for 20 minor speed adjustments over a 2 minute period

Would both get no marks against them ?

IAM Observer

#13 30-09-12 11:32:45

Roadmaster
Verified Member

(ROG) wrote:

First driver selects 3rd for 30 and uses the accelerator pedal for 20 minor speed adjustments over a 2 minute period

Seccond driver selects 4th for 30 and uses brakes for 20 minor speed adjustments over a 2 minute period

Don't be pathetic rog.  Examiners don't sit there counting how many times a candidate brakes during the test, because as I've said above it isn't a fault.

#14 30-09-12 11:42:54

(ROG)
Verified Member

Roadmaster wrote:
(ROG) wrote:

Don't be pathetic rog.  Examiners don't sit there counting how many times a candidate brakes during the test, because as I've said above it isn't a fault.

Not being such

the drive would be very different in both cases

IAM Observer

#15 30-09-12 12:37:02

(ROG)
Verified Member

Forget AD methods - I was not referring to those

I was referring to a driver who, on a DSA test, chooses a gear which although is not high enough to cause stalling issues, is not the most apropriate gear for the situation which in turn means they have to keep using the brakes for small speed adjustments

IAM Observer

#16 30-09-12 12:48:30

Roadmaster
Verified Member

(ROG) wrote:

I was referring to a driver who, on a DSA test, chooses a gear which although is not high enough to cause stalling issues, is not the most apropriate gear for the situation which in turn means they have to keep using the brakes for small speed adjustments

It wouldn't happen.  The ADI would have sorted it out before test.   That's the benefit of learning with a professional.

#17 30-09-12 14:18:32

ChedderBob

thanks for all your comments guys smile ill stick with 3rd gear, my test is in 2 week and it was worrying me as my ADI said they like to see u use the highest gear possible, but it wouldnt make sense for me to change into 4th at 30 because if i slowed down slighting the engine would labour a bit so then i would have to change back to 3rd and probably get marked for unnecessary gear change, thanks smile

#18 30-09-12 17:47:21

(ROG)
Verified Member

Roadmaster wrote:
(ROG) wrote:

It wouldn't happen.  The ADI would have sorted it out before test.   That's the benefit of learning with a professional.

I would not expect an ADI to teach something which could easily be done better !! - I never allured to that

I was thinking more on the lines of a learner who had done most of their training with a family member and done very little with an ADI

IAM Observer

#19 30-09-12 19:05:20

(ROG)
Verified Member

Wessex wrote:

Bob, use the highest gear that will:

a) not labour the engine, low grumbling noises/vibration
b) Allow good accelaration response the moment you need it.

By now I guess you'll have a good feel for the engine sounding healthy.

I will add -
Will allow engine braking (start slowing) the moment the accelerator pedal is lifted

IAM Observer

#20 30-09-12 19:55:15

ChedderBob

Hello guys, I think it's a petrol engine, 1.4 citreon c3, the new model. The engine doesn't labour in 3rd gear it sounds nice and smooth, when I change to 4th if I don't stay dead on 30mph then the engine will sound grumbly and vibrate a bit so it seems to me 3rd is the correct one.

#21 30-09-12 20:11:34

ChedderBob

I Change to 2nd when I get to 20 as I've been taught, if my memory serves me correct the engine will labour if it goes below 10 and the car screams when I'm at 25 to change up to 3rd, my next lesson is on Friday so will have to have a proper analysis on my drive to report back lol smile

#22 01-10-12 18:05:24

kinghamssom
Website

I drive a Peugeot 207 - the Economique Diesel version. It's very high geared and labours considerably if driving in 4th at 30 mph, so has to be third gear. Also, due to the high gearing, it requires 1st gear on most corners where all my previou cars would be happy to corner in 2nd. provided you match the gear and engine speed to the road speed all is fine.

#23 01-10-12 18:40:35

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi Chedderbob
I would be asking why you wait till 20mph to change to 2nd;my car [diesel yaris] can happily be in 3rd by then.
Gears are not there to be changed at set speeds,they are there to do a job,depending on the situation.
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#24 22-10-12 13:23:28

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

Hi everyone - im back after a rather long holiday from the forum.

Yes, put simply the driving examiner would expect you to drive in the correct gear for the situation. There is no right or wrong - but correct. Always guage it on what the car needs - after all 30 mph up a !!!!!!!! steep hill may need 2nd gear.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#25 21-11-12 11:09:26

golfball13
Verified Member
Website

The last 2 posts echo the way I do it. Every car, and every road condition will need a different gear for a given situation. Listen to the engine and select the best gear.

RPL Driving
Driving lessons in Chelmsford, Brentwood, Billericay and other areas of Essex

Board footer