You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 08-10-12 21:08:26

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Disappointed and outbid

Nice set of alloys for Auris on eBay just 45 minutes away in Bolton.My Garage dropped hints that is better to have two sets and leave winter tyres on one set and summer tyres on other rather than change the tyres on the rims every winter. So I'm watching two minutes to go they are 142, I bid 144, outbid so go 148 and am winning. To ensure I win I bid 175. Last seconds I'm outbid at 180 sad

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

08-10-12 21:08:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Disappointed and outbid

#2 08-10-12 21:15:41

Triplea35
Verified Member

Hard Luck! But do you understand 'sniping' a maximum higher bid had probably been arranged long before yours and was set to bid  at the next highest increment in the last few seconds.

I always do it. Saves a bidding war developing smile

Look at www.goofbay.com

Last edited by Triplea35 (08-10-12 21:18:10)

#3 09-10-12 14:59:09

boing boing
Verified Member
Website

Gixen

#4 09-10-12 20:43:31

Mentor
Verified Member

I would have gone to 200 on a snipe and then if you don't win you have the satisfaction of knowing you made the winner pay top price.

#5 11-10-12 08:22:07

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

Agree with Triker. Be very disciplined with yourself.

I always have a set amount that I want to pay. I will watch 20-30 auctions of the same thing. Eventually I will get what I want for the price i want. Sometimes it just takes a while...

#6 11-10-12 13:35:34

Triplea35
Verified Member

Triker and Christhedrummer

You are right to set the limit and that is in effect all 'sniping' does.

You decide the maximum you are prepared to pay for the item and set a snipe that will put that bid in in the last few seconds.

If the price has already gone over your maximum snipe price then obviously no bid is entered.

If the price is lower you win at the next increment upto your maximim bid.

Sniping reduces the likelihood of your bid being manipulated by sellers 'friends', casual bidders etc.

I have traded extensively on Ebay and found that with sniping you win more items and at a lower average cost.

You can set up snipes quite easily and for free using the link I included earlier.

Last edited by Triplea35 (11-10-12 13:38:23)

Board footer