You are not logged in.

#1 05-09-12 20:55:34

Johnmac

Use of mirrors on test?

Teaching my daughter to drive - after 75 hours, I think she's about at test standard and we should do another 20 before the test at the end of September. One thing is worrying me though: Use of mirrors. I know she checks her mirrors, but she does so by moving her eyes but not her head, so it's very hard for me, and therefore the examiner to know that she's checking mirrors.

Does she need to make an exaggerated show of moving her head for the test?

05-09-12 20:55:34

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Use of mirrors on test?

#2 05-09-12 20:59:42

martin Williams
Verified Member

No

#3 05-09-12 21:54:10

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

No, she doesn't because it will be obvious to the examiner if she's had a proper look. If you're concerned that your daughter isn't really looking, every time she checks the mirrors, ask her to tell you what she's just seen. You could also get her to do a mini-commentary, such as: (pedestrian crossing) ahead-checking the mirrors-white van's a bit close (or whatever). Because she has to tell you out loud what she's seen, she can't cheat!

Good luck

#4 06-09-12 06:39:00

Evan
Administrator

Interesting that so many people think that moving the head will make the examiner realize candidates are checking their mirrors. I have had pupil who have been told to move their interior mirror so that the check becomes more apparent. Of course when you have to move your head that much and look, your attention is off the road, so then you may end up with a road position problem, or miss what is happening ahead of you which can be dangerous.

If a pupill is ready for test, then they should be checking their mirrors second nature and know why they are checking them. One of my pet hates in the car is bad observations, or cursory checks to mirrors and blindspots without taking in what is going on and responding to it accordingly. Most accidents are due to complacency and that is not just in the car, its throughout everything else in life.

Last edited by Evan (06-09-12 06:41:05)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 06-09-12 09:41:02

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

When I check my mirrors I do move my head, for a wider field of vision and a deeper observation of the mirror. I simply couldn't check my mirror properly without moving my head!

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#6 06-09-12 16:47:00

Johnmac

Thanks very much for the advice.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 06-09-12 18:41:08

ralge
Verified Member

robcooling wrote:

When I check my mirrors I do move my head, for a wider field of vision and a deeper observation of the mirror. I simply couldn't check my mirror properly without moving my head!

and without moving your head the left door mirror is a bit of a challenge.

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#8 27-09-12 21:14:59

Jakey
Verified Member

Hi

It is not normal practice to keep the head still while driving, blind spots, right turns, left turns are just some of the reasons why the head needs to be constantly moving. How much do you move your head and why.

It could be useful for you to find out why she uses just eye movements for mirror checks, it sounds like there is something going on, maybe a fear of something.

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

#9 28-09-12 07:17:21

driverpete
Verified Member

I had a pupil who wore glasses with thick side frames so I couldn't see her eyes and she didn't move her head when checking mirrors. By asking appropriate questions I established that she was checking mirrors to my satisfaction but I asked the question of an examiner at my local TC. His response was "Not a problem on test as long as her driving doesn't lead me to believe she may not be carrying out proper checks".

RoSPA Gold
Retired RoSPA Approved Tutor
Retired NDAC & NDAS trainer
Retired ADI

#10 28-09-12 19:17:31

Jakey
Verified Member

driverpete

Your quite right, ex's will look at the response rather than check for head movements.

Thick rimmed glasses though will require the head to move, more so for the n/s mirror.

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

#11 28-09-12 19:37:47

graham121150
Verified Member
Website

If only our pupils were able to take 95 hours or afford to

Graham

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 29-09-12 17:08:49

David Underhill
Website

Triker wrote:
Jakey wrote:

driverpete

Your quite right, ex's will look at the response rather than check for head movements.

Thick rimmed glasses though will require the head to move, more so for the n/s mirror.

Perhaps more importantly if you cant see your pupils eyes how much of their peripheral vision is impaired by the frames? Its like wearing blinkers!!

Peripheral  vision is not impaired by this type of eye wear. Peripheral vision is at about 30 degrees from the eye.

#13 30-09-12 00:57:49

David Underhill
Website

Triker wrote:
David Underhill wrote:
Triker wrote:

Perhaps more importantly if you cant see your pupils eyes how much of their peripheral vision is impaired by the frames? Its like wearing blinkers!!

Peripheral  vision is not impaired by this type of eye wear. Peripheral vision is at about 30 degrees from the eye.

I think you will find that 'peripheral vision' as defined by the Oxford Dictionary is   "what is seen on the side by the eye when looking straight ahead". Which would include that part of the visual specrum as I described.

And is not essential for driving. DVLA will issue a licence if the spectrum of vision is 60 degrees from the centre axis. Glasses with fixed rimmed frames barely get to 15 degrees, let alone the 30 degrees allowable by the DVLA.

#14 30-09-12 20:01:45

David Underhill
Website

Honestly Triker, I wear sunglasses with thick side bands and there is no effect on my peripheral vision. Your eyes are that close to the glass on your glasses you really wouldn't see the arm bands. I am going to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think these glasses are an issue.

#15 23-08-13 17:36:41

Maisiejayne

Old thread but i had my test recently and wore my hair in a high plait so everytime i looked in the mirror i nearly knocked the examiner out with it  big_smile i didnt pass my test on this occasion but got no minors for mirrors!!
Just a tip for long haired girls!!!!

#16 24-08-13 05:43:23

ralge
Verified Member

Maisiejayne wrote:

Old thread but i had my test recently and wore my hair in a high plait so everytime i looked in the mirror i nearly knocked the examiner out with it  big_smile i didnt pass my test on this occasion but got no minors for mirrors!!
Just a tip for long haired girls!!!!

As has been said, the examiner will know that you have checked.  The old trick for them is to have his/her seat as far back as it will go AND have it unnaturally reclined in order to put him/herself out of your line of vision.  In that way, the glance across at you will not be used by you as a trigger for your MSPSL.
Instead of approaching mirror checks from a "if you don't check your mirrors, you won't pass your test" perspective, do it from one of "if you don't check your mirrors, you can't convince me or anyone else that you are safe".
Remember, the greatest danger often comes from the rear.  So, feel your vulnerability to attack from the sides and rear and mirror checks will feel natural rather than an imposed burden and easily-forgotten routine.

Last edited by ralge (24-08-13 05:44:39)

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

Board footer