You are not logged in.

#1 11-08-12 19:50:30

Cat8t3
Verified Member

Warranty!!

Hi

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I'm wondering if anyone pays for warranty for there car in the event of breakdowns, wear and tear etc.

I ask as Monday I broke down on a lesson, and the garage has informed me that my engine has seized  sad
He's taking the engine out this Monday coming, to see how much of it has, and how much of it needs to be reconditioned, grrrrr. I wouldn't mind but my car is regularly serviced and maintained. I'm just wondering if I could have avoided the extreme cost that I am probably going to have to pay.  sad By paying a warranty, but im not aware of any companies that would warranty a driving instruction car.

Also I may now be off the road for at least 3 weeks while the repairs are done!  sad So 3 weeks with no income and a massive repair bill,  sad

+

If any of you know of any companies, please let me know, as once I've got it back on the road I really don't ever want to be in this situation again neutral

Thanks in advance

Cat

1st Check Test 15/09/2010 - Grade 4
2nd Check Test 09/01/2013 - Grade 4

11-08-12 19:50:30

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Warranty!!

#2 11-08-12 20:16:18

Terrier
Banned

This is one of the problems you don't get with contract hire, no massive bills when you can least afford it.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 11-08-12 21:33:59

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

I considered an extended warranty back in January as my car would be out of warranty by the end of the August when it reaches the 60k mark. I got a quote from Warrantydirect.co.uk for their LuxuryCare package and spoke to someone to confirm they cover driving school cars which they would.

The quote I got was:

£304.87 for 1 year
£579.25 for 2 years
£838.39 for 3 years

The cover seemed quite extensive and included hire car but I suppose the real test is when you make a claim.

I decided just to replace the car so never took out the warranty. If you want I can email you a copy of the policy document to see what the terms are.

How old is your car?

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#4 12-08-12 07:52:10

martin Williams
Verified Member

I would not touch an extended warranty with a barge pole as they are expensive and do not cover everything.

Before i was an ADI i took an extended warranty out on a Rover 620TI. To cut a long story short the cylinder head developed a crack when the engine over heated due to a blockage in the cooling system the repair bill was around £1000.
Suprise suprise deep in the small print the cylider head crack and the damage it caused was excluded from the cover. I have no worries at the moment as i have a Hyundai i20 which has a 5 year unlimited warranty which does apply to driving school cars.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 12-08-12 09:28:27

Cat8t3
Verified Member

CantThinkofaName wrote:

I considered an extended warranty back in January as my car would be out of warranty by the end of the August when it reaches the 60k mark. I got a quote from Warrantydirect.co.uk for their LuxuryCare package and spoke to someone to confirm they cover driving school cars which they would.

The quote I got was:

£304.87 for 1 year
£579.25 for 2 years
£838.39 for 3 years

The cover seemed quite extensive and included hire car but I suppose the real test is when you make a claim.

I decided just to replace the car so never took out the warranty. If you want I can email you a copy of the policy document to see what the terms are.

How old is your car?

My car is 5 years old. That would be great if you could email me the document. I'm getting a price tomorrow, but i've looked online and a full recondtioned engine for my car is looking at around £1000  sad Does it say where you have to take the car if it needs fixing, ie the dealer or any other garage you trust. I bought my car from the dealer, and at the time it was free MOT for life, but at the last MOT they said it wasnt free as the owner had changed, I did argue with the guy, saying ti is still a seat dealer, they still have me on the system, etc. So i'm not happy with them either at the moment

Sorry about your bad experience Martin, I'm hoping I will never need it, luckily this is the 1st time my car has ever broken. Just can't help but think that this expense garage bill could have been prevented.

#6 12-08-12 09:47:24

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

You can choose to have your car repaired in a dealer or vat registered garage as far as I remember, if you choose the dealer option then the quote is higher.

View the policy here:
http://www.tygamarketing.com/eshots/WD/ … annual.pdf?

To be honest if I had not bought a new car I still don't think I would have taken an extended warranty but put the money aside and added more every month, my own insurance policy as it were. the £800+ could go a long way to fixing any major problems and might not need it. From past experiences insurance companies always try to find ways to wiggle out of claims.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 12-08-12 10:10:02

Cat8t3
Verified Member

CantThinkofaName wrote:

You can choose to have your car repaired in a dealer or vat registered garage as far as I remember, if you choose the dealer option then the quote is higher.

View the policy here:
http://www.tygamarketing.com/eshots/WD/ … annual.pdf?

To be honest if I had not bought a new car I still don't think I would have taken an extended warranty but put the money aside and added more every month, my own insurance policy as it were. the £800+ could go a long way to fixing any major problems and might not need it. From past experiences insurance companies always try to find ways to wiggle out of claims.

You're probably right, but it's so easy in quiet times for me to use savings, unfortunately its something i'm not very good at(saving). At least if i've already paid the money out, I know i'm covered, but at the same time I think this experience will make me not spend any savings. Life does like to test us doesn't it.

Thank you so much, I'll have a look.  smile

#8 12-08-12 14:26:36

DrivingInstructors.co.uk
Website

martin Williams wrote:

Hyundai i20 which has a 5 year unlimited warranty which does apply to driving school cars.

I would be tempted to get a new car with the above unlimited warranty

UK ADI - Driving Instructor Directory http://www.drivinginstructors.co.uk Are you listed?  if not why not as its free

#9 12-08-12 14:30:59

martin Williams
Verified Member

Cat8t3 wrote:

Hi

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I'm wondering if anyone pays for warranty for there car in the event of breakdowns, wear and tear etc.

I ask as Monday I broke down on a lesson, and the garage has informed me that my engine has seized  sad
He's taking the engine out this Monday coming, to see how much of it has, and how much of it needs to be reconditioned, grrrrr. I wouldn't mind but my car is regularly serviced and maintained. I'm just wondering if I could have avoided the extreme cost that I am probably going to have to pay.  sad By paying a warranty, but im not aware of any companies that would warranty a driving instruction car.

Also I may now be off the road for at least 3 weeks while the repairs are done!  sad So 3 weeks with no income and a massive repair bill,  sad

+

If any of you know of any companies, please let me know, as once I've got it back on the road I really don't ever want to be in this situation again neutral

Thanks in advance

Cat

There is no way your engine should have seized up if it has been serviced properly.

Did you have any warnings such as oil pressure or over heating?

#10 12-08-12 21:32:38

graham121150
Verified Member
Website

It is very very rare for a correctly serviced engine to seize up. I unseized a van engine about 5 Years ago the sump plug was missing.
It took a day. Removed sump unbolted the big ends and the mains. Removed the bearing.... which had melted. Hand polished to crank. New bearings. Etc. Engine ran as new. And as far as I know still is.  Cost about £300 with my labour/skilled.

Graham

Board footer