You are not logged in.

#1 07-08-12 14:23:02

Driver99

PST1 Ph1 Hand controls - order?

Is there a preferred order to go through the hand controls for this PST?
I've seen handbrake, gears suggested in one book and steering/indicators/gears/handbrake in another.
Does it make more sense to "pick off" the "easier" bits (and use up the time) like steering and indicating before moving on to gears?
Or, as long as some learning is taking place, does it not really matter?

07-08-12 14:23:02

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: PST1 Ph1 Hand controls - order?

#2 07-08-12 18:51:11

Driver99

Thanks for that.

#3 07-08-12 19:40:16

Terrier
Banned

I would agree with triker, focus on the main controls and don't go too deep into mechanical systems, I've heard a few good ones over the years such as explaining about different size cogs in the gear box and friction plates and flywheels on clutches.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 08-08-12 00:09:00

Driver99

Wessex wrote:

................ until you realise what you have missed out; if you do that is.

That's supportive!  big_smile  I've got a colour presenter - I'll be OK! wink

I'm not so much bothered about the level of detail (I've heard about examiners trying to derail a briefing by asking for too much detail on clutches or gear boxes, for example), more about the order that might delight them (if indeed they're bothered)! Handbrake, gears, steering sounds reasonable ( he's been watching steering on the drive over though, so could get some Q&A in there?)

I thought this PST was one where it was more important to get some quality instruction ( but not over instruct) across on a few controls, rather than to try and cram as many controls into 25 mins as possible?  Does the examiner really expect to get the car started by the end of this phase?

#5 08-08-12 08:26:10

Promanade

Driver99 follow the advice given to you by Triker and Terrier you wont go far wrong smile

You may well need your colour presenter (so have it ready just in case) depending upon what you need to explain your presenter will help you recall things that your nerves may well lead to you forgetting. Good luck, despite what you may hear about the examiners they are very good at what they do and very helpfull just listen to the clues smile

Last edited by Promanade (08-08-12 08:26:37)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 08-08-12 12:09:58

Driver99

Wessex wrote:

Don't be too complacent.  Colour presenter or not many have easily got side tracked. ....

Understood - it's more for an 'aide mémoir'.

Wessex wrote:

Good Luck, I wish you well.  When is the date of the test?

Cheers!
Haven't been brave enough to book one yet.  If they gave you say, 5 chances, I'd have a go tomorrow.

#7 08-08-12 14:39:56

Promanade

“I would like you to assume that I am a complete beginner and instruct me on the safetyaspects on entering the car for the first time, explain the important controls, and if time permits instruct me in moving off and stopping. Please correct any faults that may occur

"Hi Driver99, Above is the actual wording an examiner "should" use when setting up the controls lesson it is really important that you fully understand this word picture, i have witnessed to often PDIs failing on this particular lesson for not fully understanding.

There are 3 important aspects highlighted in red, this lesson is not all about the controls, you need to put as much thought and effort into getting the examiner into the drivers seat safely and as Triker said earlier watch for faults as they could be commited even at this early stage.

The second important aspect is again as Triker has explained “explain the important controls” so don’t rush them remember the word picture and third important point-- IF TIME PERMITS. smile

Last edited by Promanade (08-08-12 14:41:45)

#8 08-08-12 20:01:01

Driver99

Promanade wrote:

“I would like you to assume that I am a complete beginner and instruct me on the safetyaspects on entering the car for the first time, explain the important controls, and if time permits instruct me in moving off and stopping. Please correct any faults that may occur

"Hi Driver99, Above is the actual wording an examiner "should" use when setting up the controls lesson it is really important that you fully understand this word picture, i have witnessed to often PDIs failing on this particular lesson for not fully understanding.

There are 3 important aspects highlighted in red, this lesson is not all about the controls, you need to put as much thought and effort into getting the examiner into the drivers seat safely and as Triker said earlier watch for faults as they could be commited even at this early stage.

The second important aspect is again as Triker has explained “explain the important controls” so don’t rush them remember the word picture and third important point-- IF TIME PERMITS. smile

Good points - I need to make sure I tie together the stuff in ADI_1 and ADI_26.  I've been told about controlling the examiner or he could fling off his seatbelt and jump out!   lol (as an example of him being naughty) so yes, it's not all about controls.

Board footer