You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 09-03-12 21:05:13

Stuart W
Website

Check test again

Did my first check test after 19 months got second one due after 2 years and 7 months, had a real pupil on first one, not sure what to do on this one, I might go for role play for a change just for the experience, not sure what subject to do and do I go manual or automatic

DSA ADI (Car)
Manual and Automatic Tuition
www.rev-and-go.co.uk

09-03-12 21:05:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Check test again

#2 12-03-12 21:00:40

FRANKS
Verified Member

I've got my ct next tues, We had our SE at our local association a minth ago and she said not to go for role play, as she'd ratyher see us give a real lesson rather than her doing role play

Try always to be honest in everthing you do.
Be an 'HONEST BUSINESS PERSON'
Gain respect in ever thing you do

#3 29-03-12 09:35:40

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Yesterday I did my first check test and decided to do roundabouts with a real pupil (33 hours), which turned out to be a huge mistake because she totally fell apart with the examiner in the car. This included freezing at the controls, indicating one way and turning the other, repeated stalling, hands darting round the controls and general mayhem. All attempts to calm her down failed, including stopping at the kerb, switching off, going back to basics with clutch control and moving off (after which clutch control did improve). The bulk of the test was in a quiet area with 20mph speed limits and not a huge amount of traffic, our second visit to this area. I spent so much effort and time keeping the pupil calm, maintaining her confidence and maintaining safety that it would have been impossible to do the perfect DSA lesson. So I was given an 'E' and I can't remember the last time I felt more angry, or more demoralised about anything. Before the test, I took the trouble to get tuition, practice with various pupils, learn and use the core competencies, and generally do everything as required by the DSA. But the test result was so heavily influenced by the wobbly student I'm afraid it lost all credibility with me. Now all I want from the DSA is my licence and aside from this, I would like them to leave me alone to grow my business, work hard for my students and maintain my 100% pass rate (only 4 people but it still counts!!)

Sorry, turned into a rant, was supposed to be a contribution to the role-player/student choice

#4 29-03-12 11:27:52

Cliff
Verified Member

Hi Andrew, I am sorry that it did not go as well as you expected or probably deserved, the student is always a potential fly in the ointment and don't always respond in the way you expect then too.

It is a new experience to you both. I am sure you got some valuable feed back from the examiner and it is not unusual for new ADI's to get an E on their first check test, so don't be discouraged by this first experience, after all you have got 4 out of 4 of your customers through their test at the first attempt.

I would think about getting some further CT training in the meantime or do you know a local who would be prepared to let you sit in on a few lessons to observe always useful to see how others do it.

In regard to the original to the OP I have done it both ways and find that examiners are far more predictable that learners so are often easier to deal with.

Cliff

#5 29-03-12 15:11:05

Mentor
Verified Member

I always do the role play. Tough if the SE doesn't like doing them though the one's I have had have enjoyed the experience. As Cliff says, they are so much more predictable than a learner and tend to stay within the framework of the lesson. If you can do the core competencies then the role play is the best choice.

#6 29-03-12 16:25:58

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Thanks both. This has become a no-brainer for me...role play next time.

#7 29-03-12 17:18:50

Cliff
Verified Member

Good luck Andrew have a look at the subjects and practice with your learners.

Cliff

#8 29-03-12 17:26:49

Roadmaster
Verified Member

Role play is pretend instruction.   
Working with a real life learner is the only  way to show how good you actually are.

#9 29-03-12 17:52:17

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Thanks Cliff...no complaints about the tuition I had by the way

#10 30-03-12 09:14:27

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

Sorry i'm a bit confused. I aint done a CT yet, i got one in about 5 weeks.

I thought that the ct was how you got on about teaching and if learning had taken place and about the core comps.

If the subject of roundabouts was supposed to be conducted but as andrew said, the pupil fell to pieces, then changing the lesson plan if the pupil is making mistakes is the way to go then why was he hammered with an 'E'?

Isn't this what happens in everyday teaching (isn't this what the DE's want to see?)? The pupil has an off day, so you go back and correct the mistakes that are happening, even if its going back to clutch control or whatever. Binning the roundabout lesson til another day. As long as learning has taken place, i.e. got back to using clutch control competantly, then is that not what is supposed to happen?

Thanks

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

#11 30-03-12 14:35:29

jackm
Verified Member

I have long given up trying to fathom the workings of the DSA. First Check test about 3 years back (after four years on a green badge!) worked my socks off beforehand preparing for lesson. Did roundabouts with a real live pupil, delivered what I thought was a blinding lesson and got a grudging 4. Second CT towards the end of last year. Due to other crap going on in my life - no time to prepare or even think about test. Bowled up on the day for a role play DL25 lesson, and got an easy 5 with the impression that it was close to the holy grail 6!

What's that all about?

So, advice to OP - don't worry about it as long as you live to fight another day!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 01-08-12 12:16:45

Hale
Verified Member
Website

jackm wrote:

I have long given up trying to fathom the workings of the DSA. First Check test about 3 years back (after four years on a green badge!) worked my socks off beforehand preparing for lesson. Did roundabouts with a real live pupil, delivered what I thought was a blinding lesson and got a grudging 4. Second CT towards the end of last year. Due to other crap going on in my life - no time to prepare or even think about test. Bowled up on the day for a role play DL25 lesson, and got an easy 5 with the impression that it was close to the holy grail 6!

What's that all about?

So, advice to OP - don't worry about it as long as you live to fight another day!

This is no surprise to me.
Some of my best tuition is done on the fly. Quick thinking and spontaneous. Spending weeks planning and reading books doesnt help me.

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

Board footer