You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 06-07-12 09:29:45

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Fireworks

Hi,
on the evening of June 30th, denizens of the Northern Territory let off fireworks.
I couldn't be fussed as I'm a big boy now - in both meanings of the words - and the fireworks are sold at ridiculous prices, but the locals go crazy.

This year it was fairly tame, only one house burnt down and no loss of eyes or appendages that I heard of.
In the weeks afterwards though, there are idiots illegally letting off fireworks and dodging police, and frightened lost dogs wandering around trailing broken leashes.

When I was a kid in South Australia we celebrated "Guy Fawkes night" (pronounced "Guy Fox noit") by burning dummies on bon fires and fighting with so-called mature adults for the privilege of letting off crackers.
I don't think many South Aussies really knew about Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot, it was the fireworks that mattered.

Nowadays private fireworks are illegal in most Aussie states & territories.
Except up here in in the NT, where we let them off to celebrate the forming of the NT's own parliament (although the Federal Government still has some control over us).
To demonstrate that we have the maturity to govern ourselves, we let them off during the Dry Season when the spear grass is tinder dry, the risk of out-of-control bushfires is extreme, and fires are banned in many open areas.

Is letting off private fireworks legal in the UK?

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

06-07-12 09:29:45

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Fireworks

#2 06-07-12 10:23:59

(ROG)
Verified Member

Yes they are legal in the UK and I wish our laws were changed so that only approved organised displays were legal

Many US states have banned them completely without anyone kicking up a big fuss

Laser light shows are more people and animal friendly as there is no noise

If fireworks were silent but colourful then we would be on a winner

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#3 06-07-12 20:02:14

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
Best[and noisiest] fireworks i ever experienced was in Spain during a fiesta.
Started at about 6.30 in the morning,it was mad.My eldest daughter wouldn't leave her room all day!!![and later joined the forces and served in iraq and afghanistan]. hmm
Love 'em
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#4 06-07-12 20:06:06

Gizmotime
Administrator

I wish they would ban them altogether, I hate them nasty noisy things they are.

Giz sad

#5 31-07-12 10:55:34

Zipper
Verified Member
Website

Well it's a month on from official fireworks night, idiots are still letting them off and another person is spending a few days in hospital for his stupidity.
A young man at a party placed a firework between his buttocks and a mate lit the fuse.
Apparently there was a bit of screaming and a lot of swearing but everyone present and the man's mother (when she heard of it from Queensland) thought it was funny.

I can think of only two plausible reasons why he did such a thing ...
(1) An annoyed neighbour told him where to stick his stupid fireworks, and was taken literally. Or
(2) It was a primitive attempt at suburban brain surgery.

I tend to go for (2).

Zipper ("G'Day Mate!")
I'm not 65! I'm only $59.95+tax
www.drivingnt.com

#6 01-08-12 07:03:48

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

I really enjoy fireworks displays, I get mesmerised.

Don't enjoy it so much when kids start firing the rockets across the road though...

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

Board footer