You are not logged in.

#1 21-04-11 14:59:15

angel22

What questions should I ask a potential trainer?

Hi everyone,

I have just started contacting local companies to see what training they can offer me for parts 2 and 3.

Is there anything I really should be asking them?  apart from the obvious.

Many thanks

21-04-11 14:59:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: What questions should I ask a potential trainer?

#2 21-04-11 16:48:04

(ROG)
Verified Member

I would ask what the overall pass rate success is for all those that start with them

I asked RED that question in regards to parts 1, 2 & 3 and they refused to answer - that said volumes!!

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#3 21-04-11 19:50:37

mdf0075

I agree with ROG, and try to speak to ADI's who they have trained or PDI's that they are training?

part 1 - 98/54
part 1 - 98/62
part 2 - 4 minors
part 3 - pst2 5-5
check test -?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 16-07-12 22:45:12

Barry500
Website

Ask to see their Grade after you ask them what it is, if they have lied or won't show it to you walk away.

#5 17-07-12 07:43:43

RobC
Verified Member
Website

Go off recommendation or testimonials as pass rates are misleading, a competitor of mine advertises a 100% pass rate, he just doesnt say how many times it took pupils to pass!

What part of the country are you in?

www.midasbustraining.webs.com
Midas Minibus Driver Assessor Trainer & Passenger Assistant Trainer
DVSA Fleet Registered Trainer

#6 17-07-12 08:44:26

fishie
Banned
Website

Go to a test center, find the local cafe and ask the adi's there. Look for the same name popping up at one or two centers. Thats your man. Do part 1 yourself part 2 with a couple of hours with a adi and pay £30.00ish a hour with a trainer for part 3. Expext to do at least 40hours less and its a bonus.
Martin

www.fishersdrivingschool.co.uk
Remember only dead fish's go with the flow
Grade 6 by fluke this and last time
Some cardigan in the wardrobe non ordit

#7 17-07-12 10:10:53

VandADI
Administrator

Some very constructive, sound advice there from Triker,
This will give you some "food for thought" as to questions you could ask a potential trainer.
Thanks Triker  smile

#8 17-07-12 11:10:38

Promanade

Triker, your advise is spot on and so accurate, have you ever been a supervising examiner by any chance and maybe now retired?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 17-07-12 16:31:18

ratty

Triker wrote:

Hi angel,

If I was thinking of employing a trainer I would want to know what exactly they were going to teach me? There is more to teaching than telling someone what to do and not everyone can do that effectively.

Part 1 is something that you should be able to do yourself. Its not rocket science but having said that a significant amount of people fail it because they don't spend enough time studying.

Part 2 again is not difficult but following an initial assessment you may need a 2 or 3 more sessions to reach the required standard. During part 2 you should be starting to recognise the relevance of the core competencies to your driving and how you will teach what you are doing.

Be very careful!!

Suggesting that part 1 can be DIY and that pt2 'is not difficult' will upset some on here!

Some insist that a potential ADI has to have hours and hours (and spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds of course) training for everything to do with qualifying as an ADI. Can I assume that, because of your very realistic answer, you are not an ADI trainer? wink

#10 21-07-12 16:27:19

Dalek Sec
Verified Member

I often question when people say you can do the part 1 all by yourself as although I understand why this is said and agree in part, I actually disagree with this.

Yes - you can pass the part 1 all by yourself - BUT - the part 1 is a doddle and nowhere near tests the PDI has the requisite knowledge (100 multiple choice questions!) which for me is fundamental in providing a solid foundation to build on.

I would say a lot of work needs to be invested in the Part 1 topics and not just practice a few dvds and skim the Highwaycode/essential skills.

#11 22-07-12 14:48:15

geebee
Verified Member

I would suggest if pt 1 was taught properly and studied correctly more people would pass pt 3  i would suggest that manny PDI's do not understand pt1 and this is the reason so many struggle with pt3

Pt 3 should be the easiest if you know pt 1 outside in and have good driving ability pt 2 PT 3 Should be a doodle the problem is people don't put enough effort in to part one
pt 1 is the Key

Last edited by geebee (22-07-12 14:52:14)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 22-07-12 17:38:23

Dalek Sec
Verified Member

geebee wrote:

I would suggest if pt 1 was taught properly and studied correctly more people would pass pt 3  i would suggest that manny PDI's do not understand pt1 and this is the reason so many struggle with pt3

Pt 3 should be the easiest if you know pt 1 outside in and have good driving ability pt 2 PT 3 Should be a doodle the problem is people don't put enough effort in to part one
pt 1 is the Key

Hey geebee - aren't you just repeating what I said in a roundabout way???

#13 22-07-12 18:28:24

geebee
Verified Member

HI triker
I don't expect you to understand anything i say or agree with anything i say. some people will agree with my comments some wont Forums are about opinions. There are not about trying to change opinions and definitely not trying to be little people .

#14 22-07-12 21:26:05

Dalek Sec
Verified Member

There's too many get through with inadequate knowledge for the job - quite possibly because the focus is on the test only (which is an absolute walk in the park!).

#15 23-07-12 16:54:54

ratty

geebee wrote:

pt 1 is the Key

I don't really understand this.

As I remember, pt1 involved answering questions about the Highway Code, the DSA's driving book and some questions about which forms and information were necessary / relevant when applying for a test didn't it? I don't see how knowing this well makes pt3 a 'doodle'. Can you explain this please and please correct me if I have remembered what is involved in taking pt1s it was some time ago. I agree that being a decent driver will help with pt3.

#16 23-07-12 18:12:50

Promanade

ratty wrote:
geebee wrote:

pt 1 is the Key

I don't really understand this.

As I remember, pt1 involved answering questions about the Highway Code, the DSA's driving book and some questions about which forms and information were necessary / relevant when applying for a test didn't it? I don't see how knowing this well makes pt3 a 'doodle'. Can you explain this please and please correct me if I have remembered what is involved in taking pt1s it was some time ago. I agree that being a decent driver will help with pt3.

Fully agree with you Ratty smile , i also wanted to ask the same question but, i get accused of bullying when asking such questions, also, asking GeeBee a question will very rarely gain an answer as he becomes very paranoid roll so i dont bother to ask him anymore even though he expects others to answer his questions yikes i personaly feel he is being very unfair and not really displaying the skills required of a professional.

#17 23-07-12 21:41:29

Dalek Sec
Verified Member

Give it a rest promenade - make your point and ask your questions - if you get no reply then live with it.  Some prefer to post their view and leave it at that.  Others prefer to debate at length and some prefer to disect every word!

With regard to the topic, I do not think the part 1 comes anywhere near towards testing if someone has the requisite knowledge required.  A true exam with explanations and reasoning and assessed by an individual and not a computer checking you ticked the correct boxes may well be better.  Part 3 can really test that knowledge!

Part 3 examiners can rip at holes in the PDIs knowledge and tear them apart - possibly why the success rate is so poor!

We complain about learners memorising the questions and answers without understanding the questions they have answered.  Take aquaplaning - learners often answer the question correctly but are clueless as to what aquaplaning actually is.

Similiarly, when discussing tyres - do learners (and instructors) understand why we have tyre tread - more tread = better grip - Do they understand about the reason for tyre tread is for grip in the wet and smooth tyres grip better in dry weather.

I could go on - but the knowledge is lacking for many ADIs - just look at some of the questions that come up from PDIs/ADIs on forums, meetings and in the test centres.

Part 1 aint fit for purpose if you ask me!

Last edited by Dalek Sec (23-07-12 21:53:05)

#18 24-07-12 09:24:22

Promanade

Dalek Sec wrote:

Give it a rest promenade - make your point and ask your questions - if you get no reply then live with it.  Some prefer to post their view and leave it at that.  Others prefer to debate at length and some prefer to disect every word!
!

lol lol lol Dalek you and your mate do make me laugh.

"Part 1 aint fit for purpose if you ask me"
What would you replace it with.

Last edited by Promanade (24-07-12 09:25:21)

#19 24-07-12 17:12:46

Dalek Sec
Verified Member

If you ask a learner a question and they answer you - is that they end of it?  Or do you perhaps follow up with some further questions - perhaps some justified questions to check their understanding?  I see examples of people on this forum asking a question and when they get an answer, ask another and another and another and nitpick away.

I would have thought this simple example would highlight one major flaw in the multiple choice questions?  You surely do not think 100 questions sufficiently tests the knowledge of a potential ADI?

As I posted in my last comment:

Dalek Sec wrote:

..........I do not think the part 1 comes anywhere near towards testing if someone has the requisite knowledge required.  A true exam with explanations and reasoning and assessed by an individual and not a computer checking you ticked the correct boxes may well be better.  Part 3 can really test that knowledge!

I gave ONE example of how this could be changed.

It is entirely possible a number of modules could be set up and assessed to check understanding and this to be done by giving reasons for answers to demonstrate understanding.

There are many ways the part 1 could be improved and I stand by what I said earlier in that some face part 3 without the fundamental knowledge to support what they are trying to teach.

#20 24-07-12 19:33:20

Promanade

If you ask a learner a question and they answer you - is that they end of it? Or do you perhaps follow up with some further questions –
If i am dealing with a learner who has transferred from another ADI then yes I probably will do as you suggest, for example: One question i would ask would be “What is the speed limit for this road” the pupil may give me the correct answer however, i need to know if it was a lucky guess or is it because the pupil knows the road so yes i would follow it up with another question for confirmation i.e. “well done for answering correctly, how did you know it was that speed limit?”
If they tell me they saw the sign or that it is a built up area then i am happy they have the knowledge and understanding and there would be no need for any further questions on this, having said that it may be that i am doing the job incorrectly and would be more than happy for people to give me advice on how to change my techniques. smile

You surely do not think 100 questions sufficiently tests the knowledge of a potential ADI?
I have never suggested it did.

As I posted in my last comment:
Dalek Sec wrote:
..........I do not think the part 1 comes anywhere near towards testing if someone has the requisite knowledge required. A true exam with explanations and reasoning and assessed by an individual and not a computer checking you ticked the correct boxes may well be better. Part 3 can really test that knowledge!

I would agree with this concept.

Last edited by Promanade (24-07-12 20:15:09)

Board footer