You are not logged in.

#1 08-07-12 20:51:13

MAZ
Verified Member

Names!!

Do the names we give our children have a significant affect on their destiny in life?

Those that have been teaching years will have seen waves of names come and go.
Two of my pupils have just had babies, and I cannot remember the names given for the life of me now but both were names I had never heard before, very "new age-ish", I just wonder how much thought goes into projecting how they will fair in life with such names and what nicknames they may be shortened to etc.

Can we give a child a "leg-up" in life with a good choice of name?

Maz.

08-07-12 20:51:13

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Names!!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 14-07-12 23:43:28

www.1waydriving.net
Website

Me and my wife called our daughter Georgia, not chavvy, cute as a baby, doesn't stand out bad at school and won't look bad on a driving licence or job interview.

www.1waydriving.net

Driving Lessons Wakefield and Dewsbury - www.1waydriving.net

#3 15-07-12 05:42:21

Gizmotime
Administrator

I called my Daughter Caroline Michelle, Everyone now with the exception of 3 in the family call her Caz, I hate that.
As for giving them a "leg up in life" well I wouldn't think a name makes any difference.

Giz wink

#4 15-07-12 10:45:20

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

I would think that a 'strange' name is most likely to cause problems at school as, as we all know, children can be immensely cruel creatures.

Celebrities seem to have started this off years ago. The name that always sticks in my mind is Frank Zappa's son Dweezil. Born in the 60's the nurses at the hospital refused to write that name on the birth certificate as they thought it cruel (he ended up being called something normal like Ian) but his parents always called him Dweezil. When he found out his name wasn't Dweezil he went to court to get it changed so it was. His sister Moon Unit just goes by the name of Moon.

How they would fair in a 'normal' existence is unclear but as a celeb, who cares?!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 15-07-12 14:10:37

MGM
Verified Member

MAZ wrote:

Do the names we give our children have a significant affect on their destiny in life?

Those that have been teaching years will have seen waves of names come and go.
Two of my pupils have just had babies, and I cannot remember the names given for the life of me now but both were names I had never heard before, very "new age-ish", I just wonder how much thought goes into projecting how they will fair in life with such names and what nicknames they may be shortened to etc.

Can we give a child a "leg-up" in life with a good choice of name?

Maz.

I don't know about a leg-up, but the wrong name can certainly be a handicap.

The authors of "Freakonomics" did a study proving the negative economic effects of black children in the US being given distinctively "black" names, which prejudiced people before they even met them and stopped them getting job interviews etc.

I think the same thing applies here, but with class rather than race. How many Dwaines and Chardonnays do you see in government, or running companies or on the Sunday Times Rich List?

#6 16-07-12 07:37:50

kodama
Website

I very much wanted my son to have a different name, I'm a William, pretty common and bland.  We named him Kione.  (Kee-o-nee)  It's a Maori name.  My wife and I  lived in Japan for two years and ideally wanted a Japanese name, but couldn't decide on one.

Having an odd name could go one of two ways.  It will probably be remembered and make you stand out, but that could go against you, especially when you want to blend in and not be noticed. 

My wife's friend is coming over later, her boy is called "Ocean".   hmm

#7 16-07-12 22:10:46

Barry500
Website

I as going to call my son Aston nothing wrong with that you may think but my last name is Martin. (Aston Martin = A car)

My wife said it would be cruel, so I named him Margaret!! lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 16-07-12 22:41:33

Gizmotime
Administrator

Barry500 wrote:

I as going to call my son Aston nothing wrong with that you may think but my last name is Martin. (Aston Martin = A car)

My wife said it would be cruel, so I named him Margaret!! lol

Brilliant  big_smile

#9 17-07-12 08:39:20

fishie
Banned
Website

When we were kids my best mate was called John Bates and instead of calling him Mr Bates we used to call him Master ..... He used to get realy jacked off over it roll

www.fishersdrivingschool.co.uk
Remember only dead fish's go with the flow
Grade 6 by fluke this and last time
Some cardigan in the wardrobe non ordit

Board footer