You are not logged in.

#1 29-06-12 20:07:04

Bashydan

Another DPF question/worry (fiesta/ibiza)

Hi all,

I passed my Part 3 a few years back and have had my current car (Fiesta Mk7 1.6TDCi 5 door zetec (59 plate)) for 3 years this September.
When I was looking around for this car, I test drove most super mini's and really liked the Seat Ibiza.
Actually nearly bought it and was advised by someone (on this forum) not to as he had been told by the head of business sales in Seat NOT to buy it as the DPF would cause a problem because of the types of journeys ADI's make.

Now this was 3 years ago, and I'm looking at selling my Fiesta and getting another new car (looked into Leasing, but way too expensive, i'd rather buy the car and at least after 3 years I own a car).
Now it seems all diesils have this DPF!!!

I was just looking at replacing my Fiesta with exactly the same model, but am a bit worried about this DPF.
I've read a couple of posts on this forum and it seems as though there are mixed reviews.

Although I like the Fiesta, I really liked the Ibiza when I test drove it 3 years ago...and if I'm gonna have to get a DPF car, then should I just go for the Ibiza?

Anyone got any experience with the Ibiza?

Would defo need a Diesil as Petrol is out (over 20,000 miles per year), so am hoping DPF will be ok.

Spoke to Ford servicing today and the lady there said shouldn't be a problem as long as at 37,500 the DPF is topped up at a cost of £90, but then at 75,000 it needs changing at a cost of £850
Would probably not get to 75,000 as would only keep it for 3 years and would be about 65,000 by that time, but would probably affect resale value.

Can anyone offer any advice?
Want to get order in next week so can be ready for 62 plate in September

Cheers

29-06-12 20:07:04

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Another DPF question/worry (fiesta/ibiza)

#2 29-06-12 20:38:41

Roadmaster
Verified Member

There have been some posts re dpf on here before.  Do a dpf search

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 29-06-12 22:00:14

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

A quote from Peugeot web site:

"If you buy an HDi Peugeot, or one of our diesel hybrid vehicles, the chances are it will have a Diesel Particulate Filter. And while you’re driving around, the DPF (or FAP in French), as it’s known, will be cutting the soot coming out of your engine by 99.9%. For the geeks among us, it works like this: the FAP catches diesel particulates in a silicon carbide filter. It then eliminates them  by burning them at a high temperature in a ‘regeneration’ process controlled by the engine’s computer. Peugeot developed the world’s first FAP engine back in 2000 for the 607 – it was hailed as a technological breakthrough in environmental protection. And, just to reassure you, a FAP has no effect whatsoever on driving performance and only needs servicing every 110,000 miles."

I hope they are right as I have just signed up for my 1st diesel with DPF and it's a Peugeot and the DPF was one thing that was worrying me no matter what car I bought.

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#4 29-06-12 22:52:25

Terrier
Banned

I'm no expert but I'm in the same position as you, my fiesta 1.4tdci is due for changing in October and I've done a little bit of research on the DPF. I have been told that so long as the car gets a decent run once a week this should keep the DPF clear, this basically means driving for around 15 mins at a constant 3000 rpm, so a short run up the motorway should do it. It's not speed critical it's the rpm that counts so you could stay in a lower gear on a dual carriageway to keep the revs at 3000rpm.

Hope this helps.

ADI Development Greater Manchester & Cheshire Grade 6 ORDIT Approved
Cardington Grade A  RoSPA Gold
DSA External Trainer Certificate for Instructor Training

#5 30-06-12 21:57:18

Mentor
Verified Member

Buy the Seat if you like the car. It uses a dry system to regenerate the DPF, not the wet system that Ford use that needs the expensive additive.
Just make sure you give it a good drive for 20 minutes once a week at over 3000rpm and it will be fine. If the warning light ever does come on then give it the fast drive right away. Keep a check on your oil level. If it goes up instead of down then regeneration is not taking place correctly and unburnt diesel is getting into the oil. That would be something for the dealer to fix under warranty in the unlikely event of it happening.

#6 03-07-12 08:00:44

kodama
Website

DPFs could go on any diesel, especially ones doing very low speeds and short journeys.  Mine went at 19,000 miles from new inside of a year.  Honest John says that diesels arent suitable for instruction vehicles due to Dual Mass Flywheels and DPFs.  Both of mine went inside of 19,000 miles.  I'm now a petrol user again.

#7 06-07-12 18:56:32

Bashydan

After lots of deliberation, I've decided to keep my 59 plate diesil Fiesta for another couple of years and just run it till it dies.
Can't risk hefty repair bills with a new car.
Hopefully Ford sort out this DPF issue within the next couple of years and give back the option with model's

Thanks for everyones comments.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 06-07-12 19:06:09

martin Williams
Verified Member

Bashydan wrote:

After lots of deliberation, I've decided to keep my 59 plate diesil Fiesta for another couple of years and just run it till it dies.
Can't risk hefty repair bills with a new car.
Hopefully Ford sort out this DPF issue within the next couple of years and give back the option with model's

Thanks for everyones comments.

There is no issues with DPF filters unless you do lots of short runs with the engine cold.

Also lots of manufactures give at least a 3, 5 or even a 7 year warranty some like my i20 with unlimited miles so there will be no unexpected repair bills unless you bend it.

Last edited by martin Williams (06-07-12 19:08:52)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 06-07-12 19:22:36

Roadmaster
Verified Member

DPFs on cars are now compulsory not an option.

Board footer