You are not logged in.

#1 24-01-12 19:40:08

PAULUKWEB

CONTROLS LESSON FOR CHECK TEST

Hi Guys,
I am due to take my 2nd check test in Feb this year and was planning on
doing a controls lesson and starting to move off towards the end of the lesson
just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this.
Cheers
Paul

24-01-12 19:40:08

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: CONTROLS LESSON FOR CHECK TEST

#2 24-01-12 19:50:37

boing boing
Verified Member
Website

Does you customer want to have an examiner sitting in the back on their first lesson? If it's not their first lesson, should you be doing a controls lesson?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 24-01-12 19:52:44

fishie
Banned
Website

You wont do both in the 45mins as that will be all you will have time wise for the lesson with getting there and back. Do the control lesson only, talk through on route and back. Give the pupil the balance of the lesson after you have got rid of the examiner. Give it 110% dont loose focus and laugh.

www.fishersdrivingschool.co.uk
Remember only dead fish's go with the flow
Grade 6 by fluke this and last time
Some cardigan in the wardrobe non ordit

#4 24-01-12 20:11:45

collywobs
Verified Member
Website

Not really a suitable subject for a check test!

There's very little or no previous experience to base the lesson on, and, as this will be the first lesson and you've only just met the pupil, why put them in the awkward position of having to meet another new person (SE) whilst they're beginning to learn and probably feeling quite nervous, clumsy and uncoordinated.

In my view, there are so many other subjects that will provide you with a better opportunity to demonstrate your teaching skills/abilities.

Colin Kentish
Grade 6 DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)
www.colinkentish.co.uk

Dream as if you'll live for ever
Live as if you'll die today

#5 24-01-12 20:43:58

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I think its a great idea for a check test but i disagree with fishie about getting them moving,i would expect to do controls and get them moving within 30 minutes of the start of their 1st lesson so learning and progress have been made.
Also alot less opportunity for your pupil to make you look like an egit[its happened to me] tongue

Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#6 24-01-12 20:52:57

Evan
Administrator

Local female ADI did Controls lesson for her check test she gained a grade 6 for it. So I guess anything is possible.

Last edited by Evan (24-01-12 20:53:21)

#7 25-01-12 10:35:32

Newrose
Website

Hi,
I think it depends on how well your student receives the control lesson. If you feel he understands controls, and how to use them and your instructions for using them, then you have to move on start on moving off and stopping. Otherwise you can go through some of the controls again using Q&A  to ensure he/she understands how to use controls and get some practice while car is still stationary.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 25-01-12 11:59:11

fishie
Banned
Website

Lewinpeter1 wrote:

Hi
I think its a great idea for a check test but i disagree with fishie about getting them moving,i would expect to do controls and get them moving within 30 minutes of the start of their 1st lesson so learning and progress have been made.
Also alot less opportunity for your pupil to make you look like an egit[its happened to me] tongue

Peter

There is nothing wrong in disagreeing but i feel you are looking at this as a lesson rather than as a check test. Those instructors you see out there waffling on, on what you think is the pupils first lesson. Taking ages to go over every little thing thats after driving them there and giving them a lift home used to drive me mad. How many times have i heard from mums "little jonney will be driving on his first lesson wont he?" But this is a check test run by a batch of fools, a state monoploy with no idea on how to run a business or keep clients happy. They have pre-set ideas and if you wont a top grade do it to their way. Get the pupil in the car set the left mirror so they can see the road to the rear you drive to the area with a running commentary. Give the lesson drive back to the test center. Get out of the car with the keys in your hands, get your grade and get back in the car. Tell pupil thanks for that now lets go and have some fun and take them someware and GET THEM DRIVING.

www.fishersdrivingschool.co.uk
Remember only dead fish's go with the flow
Grade 6 by fluke this and last time
Some cardigan in the wardrobe non ordit

#9 25-01-12 16:13:24

Evan
Administrator

I totally agree with you fishie, afterall we are ''Driving'' instructors providing ''Driving Lessons'' not sitting about talking about driving. Good post

Last edited by Evan (25-01-12 16:14:22)

#10 25-01-12 21:18:50

PAULUKWEB

thanks very much guys for your thoughts completely agree with your last comment fishie, ive never done anything so false in my life as a check test if we all taught like we have to on a check test we would be out of business by the end of the week.

#11 28-06-12 19:50:41

PAULUKWEB

Hello
Just to let you know I had myu check test today delayed should have been Feb but had it today.
I did controls lesson as planned. I met with examiner and told him my plans and he said controls is fine
although he would like to see pupil move off as well, he said within the 50 mins or so we had i could easily complete the controls lesson and start moving off.
I did as he asked and came out with a grade 5 so happy with this.

If anyone wants to know any more or needs and advice i would be happy to give.

Glad that ones over.

Thanks again for all advice

Paul

Board footer