You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 18-06-12 18:35:22

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

Anyone know about tyre sizes?

Thinking of changing my car, had planed to keep another year at least but for various reasons I want to change but I have winter tyres which have plenty of use left in them and would like to use on the new car.

Current tyres are 205/55 R16 and new car will have 195/55 R16. Does anyone know if the tyres will be useable on the new car? I know I can ask a tyre place tomorrow but would like to know ASAP, very impatient you see :-)

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

18-06-12 18:35:22

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Anyone know about tyre sizes?

#2 18-06-12 18:46:21

mdf0075

I am no expert but im 99% sure they would be fine!!!! same size (R)ims and width (55) the difference is the new car has lower profile tyres but thats not a problem!

part 1 - 98/54
part 1 - 98/62
part 2 - 4 minors
part 3 - pst2 5-5
check test -?

#3 18-06-12 19:12:54

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

205 is the width of tyre (mms)
55 is the height of the tyre which is a percentage of the width (55%), so the height of the 195 (107.25mm) tyres would be less than the 205 (112.75mm) tyre.
16 is the size of the wheels.

these tyres should be fine but the car would be slightly lower and the gap between tyre and arch greater on the 195/55 16 tyre.

i hope this helps

#4 18-06-12 21:32:46

Barry500
Website

IT'S a YES, I have had slighly different size tyres on my car when the garage did not have my size and the only difference would be you may use slighly more or less fuel depending on if you went down or up a size.

#5 19-06-12 23:05:01

gadgetdriver
Website

55% of 205 is 112.75 and 55% of 195 is 107.25, that's a 5.5mm increase in radius, or an 11mm increase in the diameter of the wheel, as has already (mostly) been said. Your speedo measures the rotation of the gearbox. For each wheel rotation on the 205 section tyre, the wheel travels an extra 34.5mm over the 195 section tyre, adding inaccuracy to your speedo. On the bigger tyre your speedo could read below your actual speed. The difference may not be substantial, but it is there.

ADI since 2004.
Producer of animated and printed briefing materials.
www.drivertrainingacademy.com

#6 19-06-12 23:12:26

gadgetdriver
Website

Hmm. If my maths is right the difference is just under 1% effect on speedo!

ADI since 2004.

#7 20-06-12 21:19:19

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

Thanks everyone. Gadgetdriver, I understand what you mean about the speedo, that must also be affected when new tyres wear down as well, correct?

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#8 21-06-12 18:32:20

Jakey
Verified Member

Hi

Tyre size explained

If we take 205/65ZR15 as an example.

205 is the section width(sidewall to sidewall), 65 is the aspect ratio(% of section width) Z will be the speed rating of the tyre and R will be the construction type R = Radial, X = Cross Ply. 15 is the wheel diameter size in inches.

Therefore, the 195/55R16 will be a smaller tyre and of course will affect the the accuracy of the speedo, especially as the tread wears. It will also seriously effect the handling characteristics of the car as it is a narrower tyre. In my opinion they should not be used in place of the 205's.

Alternative sizes based on the same wheel size.

185/60R15
215/50R15

Graham Jones

Last edited by Jakey (21-06-12 18:46:01)

Part 1 98%
Part 2 Clean sheet
Part 3 2nd attempt
First check test grade 4
Second check test grade 5

#9 26-06-12 21:00:05

gadgetdriver
Website

Sorry - been offline a while ... I think the answers above explain just about everything, but I'll add that tyre wear etc will make the speedo read higher than true speed, which is fine (up to a point). Your speedo should not read lower than actual speed, but reading lower could be caused by larger tyres. In reality at the differences you're talking about, I can't see it being relevant, but I'm not the expert I may be sounding like I'm trying to be!

ADI since 2004.

Board footer