You are not logged in.

#1 28-04-04 11:49:40

lemontea

Intolerant motorists

hello everyone, I am new to this forum plus I have only been qualified as an adi for about a month, and i still feel like I am winging it so I want to ask some advice,  Some of the motorists in my neck of the wood are really intolerant towards learners and sometimes are downright dangerous, its like they see the L plates and then start swearing and will take unbelivable risks in overtaking, a couple of times nearly taking my car clean off the road.  Any one got any good advice on how to handle these horn blaring idiots?

Thanks in advance

28-04-04 11:49:40

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Intolerant motorists

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 28-04-04 12:18:40

arib
Verified Member
Website

You'll learn fast where this is concerned. Everyone of us experience this every day. Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do about it. You now know it happens so keep an eye out for it.
Keep calm, be professional and hopefully you can use the circumstances to teach these dangers to your pupil.
I know what you would like to do but you'll have to bite your tongue I'm afraid.  lol
I once lost a pupil through this. Sitting a traffic lights pupil stalled on green. The car behind started on the horn. The next thing I new pupil is up and out of the car asking if the guy wanted putting in hospital.  :oops:   Quick course of diplomacy to solve the situation and pulled pupil into a side road and told him off. The lad was a bit hot headed, you know the type. Budding boy racer. Anyway he never came back.

ariB

#3 28-04-04 12:43:47

Badger

""Anyway he never came back""

I'll bet the hooter never hoots at another learner either !

Badger

#4 28-04-04 14:12:41

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Some years ago I lost my cool with a big lorry driver who held his hand on the horn for about 30 seconds after my nervous, middle aged pupil stalled when turning right.

I got out and asked in a voice loud enough to attact attention from every pedestrian for miles what they thought of the lorry driver, I had a lot of people start shouting at him, someone even threw a half eaten sandwich at him. Hopefully he'll never do that again.

But to answer your question about what to do - I think it's best to hold your tongue and think of something humorous to say to the pupil.

Regards,

#5 28-04-04 17:10:05

Midge
Website

Sometimes the other drivers are so keen to blame learners that they don't check.  We were the second car at the traffic lights, when the car in front (not a learner) stalled and couldn't seem to get going again.  There was no way to get past it.  The driver behind got out of his car, came up to my window and started ranting and raving about learners holding everyone up, shouldn't be on the road etc.  I waited politely for a space to speak, and then pointed to the car in front (he had not noticed it) and asked him if I should perhaps fly over it. He just glared and walked off.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

#6 28-04-04 17:18:29

Liesa

All they see is that the car has L plates on it, and because it does it has to be this car that's causing the hold up lol

How many of you get cut up when driving yourself?

It doesn't matter that there's only one person in the car, that obviously is more than competant, they just have to get past :cry:

#7 28-04-04 18:16:38

churchy

Everybody seems to forget they once were learners also.

It annoys me so much to see the impatience and the abuse these poor learners get. 

I have to admit i was once also bad and totally shocked myself when i soon found myself behind a learner doing 20mph in a 50, i was very patient and even left a big enough gap behind her as well.  My wife was even shocked because usually the comment would be 'oh for **** sake not another ****** learner, get the **** off the road'.

Poor souls.   big_smile

#8 28-04-04 19:21:05

adi
Verified Member
Website

Personally i switch off. I used to get annoyed by tailgaters etc but if you start getting wound up you will lose your focus and the lesson can go out of your control. The other thing is it can unnerve the pupil if they see you losing your temper (ever been in someones car as a passenger when they get road rage). If you try and police the situation the other driver still wont see the sense so whats the point.

#9 28-04-04 20:47:42

jamiejungle1

roll i'd say arib has it spot on you just have to try and be professional your pupil will respect you more if you keep your cool and maybe even try to do the same themselves in future, i know its easier said than done sometimes i usually get my pupils to smile at anyone who's being aggresive. you would be supprised how much this can p**s people off when they realise they havent got to you!

keep smiling lol

#10 29-04-04 10:42:03

lemontea

thanks very much folks for all your advice.  As i stated in my first post, I have only recently qualified and its great to hear that you lot have the same concerns as me.

#11 29-04-04 23:00:18

chrisbagley

My advice Lemontea is be professional, and ignore  it. Lead by example, Ok the fool cuts you up, they have just proved that they are as described. Be professional, and say something along the lines of"That is how not to do it" Turn a negative to a positive. "I will show you how to overtake safely"
The horn blower: Ignore it, OK the pupil has stalled, they all do. Talk the pupil calmly and softly through the restart . 

If you react to the provocation with gestures and so on, at best you lower yourself to the other fellows level and lose your professional image, worst you get involved with a road rage incident. You may also lose the pupil as a result, do you want an ex pupil telling their friends that their instructor give V signs to other road users, or a current pupil saying "My instructor is always very cool and professional what ever happens or mistakes I make"  8)
Which will reccommend you to their friends and make money for you?
Give the cat a kick when you get home (Joke)

#12 01-05-04 08:39:38

Mike Geary

Morning all

I've found that other agressive drivers just want to get passed  a learner or any thing that "to their mind, Is holding them up"

I spent 27 years as a truck driver, and I've found that its a case of "your holding "ME" up = gotta get past you. Even when its not my truck/learner,causing the traffic to go slow
and I think its a case of "only seeing as far as the end of their "Nose"

And generally bad driving habits,

Mike G Bye 4 NooooOOOoooowwwwWWWWwwwwww

#13 01-05-04 11:19:57

vince

Hi Y'all,
         Like Lemontea I've only been qualified a couple of months and literally just gone full time this weekend, but unfortunatly I've experienced this type of cr*p during pt3 and since qualifying (glad to see its not just Leicester) My best one to date, which I posted on our local forum, was sitting at traffic lights on a yellow box junction, the lights changed to green but parked across the box junction was a huge covered lorry hitched to an equally huge trailer (you know how big those units are, it filled the crossing and 10 ft either side) so we stayed behind the stop line. After ignoring the blasts from the "lady" behind, she came a'knocking on my door, I calmly wound my window down, "are you f*****g colour blind" she spat, still calm, I pointed out the road was blocked, and asked her where she suggested we actually went? "You can f*****g go to hell for all I f*****g care you c**t , getting f*****g smart with me, f*****g learners shouldn't be allowed on the f*****g road like proper drivers"  :twisted: And we'd done nothing wrong! oh, for a shotgun. thank God you still meet patient drivers as well sad
        Take care out there,.,. Vince wink

#14 01-05-04 13:31:57

TDC
Verified Member

jeez its amazing what PMT can do to a woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wink

Im so good its unbelievable

#15 01-05-04 15:25:36

Midge
Website

Am I the only one who thinks that sometimes the very nice, patient drivers are a bit of a pain.  I'm thinking of when you get to a give way line, ready to turn right into a major road, your pupil has looked both ways and spotted a possible gap about ten cars away, and then one car decides it's "be nice to learners day", holds the traffic up in his lane, doesn't notice other  lanes or the traffic coming from the left, and is sitting there wondering why you don't move.  Pupil is getting confused, isn't quite ready anyway, or worse, tries to rush.  Usually it is quicker all round if other drivers  keep going if it as their right. 
I have been grateful to our local bus drivers though, letting us out into a busy road, but they tend to  notice  all the other traffic as well,  so they only stop if we can get out safely.
When doing the T.I.R. mostly the pupil would rather wait than have to continue with someone watching.
Midge

Midge  -   Dip D.I.

Board footer