You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 03-05-12 15:11:15

Alan72
Verified Member

New cookie law

I read this in the Micro Mart magazine published last week.

"....over 95% of major UK organisations do not comply with the new EU cookie law....the law in question requires sites to ask for consent before placing cookies onto users systems and it came into being last year, but it isn't actually being enforced in the UK until 26th May."

I found this site on Google:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations … okies.aspx

I know there are many of you on the forum who are knowlegable about IT. Do you think it will require changes to our advertising sites?

I get the impression they are particularly interested in getting consent for cookies from services like Google analytics, and Statcounter.

Looking forward to your ideas.

Alan

Qualified in 1971 and started my driving school in 1972
Retired 2013

03-05-12 15:11:15

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: New cookie law

#2 03-05-12 22:30:05

MAZ
Verified Member

I believe Statcounter only requires the cookie to see if a visitor returns, therefore any visitor who has cookies “off” or refuses to accept cookies with new legislation will be counted as a “new” visitor every time they visit.

I think Google will find a way around this because we need the “free” stuff Google operates, we will sign up to accept cookies or deprive ourselves of Google associated sites. Anyway how many of us actually read the “agreements” on these free sites and software upgrades before we quickly scroll to the bottom and click on “AGREE”.

Maz.

#3 04-05-12 13:00:10

Alan72
Verified Member

Hi Maz, thanks for posting. I think you are right about Statcounter.

I read quite a lot on the ico.gov site, including a pdf detailing how to make a site compliant. The impression I got was that a simple statement about disabling cookies would not be sufficient. There has to be a pop up or something that the user would have to click on to "accept" in order to browse further.

I hope you are right and Google creates a question automatically otherwise webmasters are in for a lot of work!

Thanks for replying.
Alan.

Qualified in 1971 and started my driving school in 1972
Retired 2013

Board footer