You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 22-04-12 06:07:31

reddragonbus
Verified Member

LGV driving jobs?

Eighteen months relevant experience as a HGV Driver driving articulated lorries in the UK is required for insurance purposes as well as having no more then 6 points on your licence.

How can anyone get a job after they obtain a licence if companies put this on all of the adverts?

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

22-04-12 06:07:31

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: LGV driving jobs?

#2 22-04-12 09:00:22

on board training

Hi Jonathan,

Not sure if this is for yourself ........................ but how could you attract yourself to other companies who may not have it as an insurance requirement and it is just their internal policy?

If you have your HGV licence you could consider:

'While I appreciate why you would look for eighteen months relevant experience as a HGV driver driving articulated lorries in the UK, I have held my HGV licence for ...blah..... and have additional experience having achieved a ROSPA Gold Award for my HGV driving. I also have x years experience as a driving instructor, training company drivers and driving instructors and once you feel i have the experience with you company I would be prepared to offer these assessement and training services in-house to support your current CPC and health and safety practices. etc.

Just a thought

Brian

#3 22-04-12 10:03:26

(ROG)
Verified Member

Many tried that approach and it dont work

Companies and agencies are only interested in how long you have held the LGV licence category for which they are interested in

Pass LGV test(s) put licence in drawer for 2 years and then job hunt - oh, and be over age 25

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#4 22-04-12 11:27:12

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I have held C+E for over 5 years and have extensive experience of driving commercial vehicles including C+E.

I simply don't see why anyone would spend that money now if there is no hope of getting work with the licence?

#5 22-04-12 13:22:46

on board training

I would suggest there is hope of getting work but you need to be looking for it to get it.

I now someone who passed his C+E and approached a smaller operation and offered to give up time todoubleman to get some experience and then he later got a reference form this person to get another job.

Depends how you  look at it

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 22-04-12 14:41:20

trunkmonkey

reddragonbus wrote:

Eighteen months relevant experience as a HGV Driver driving articulated lorries in the UK is required for insurance purposes as well as having no more then 6 points on your licence.

How can anyone get a job after they obtain a licence if companies put this on all of the adverts?

Could this be relevant?
In an effort to prevent Eastern bloc drivers applying.

Dodgy strategy, perhaps

#7 22-04-12 18:27:13

reddragonbus
Verified Member

They even put that for class 2 jobs!

Not sure how a class 2 licence holder can get 18 months experience driving class 1?  roll

#8 23-04-12 18:10:15

Gracie Jits

I have also tried similar with no success.

I got a ROSPA Gold (Car) in mid 2009 before sitting my part 2, and passed part 3 at the end of 2009.  Employers don't seem to give a crap about my driving qualifications, for any driving job not just HGV.  Perhaps they see as an ADI with a ROSPA Gold, that I will stick to the speed limit and take longer than there other drivers.

Also how do you get a ROSPA Gold (HGV) if you don't own a HGV?

#9 23-04-12 21:27:29

ratty

Hire one or borrow one from work.

#10 24-04-12 14:09:19

Gracie Jits

ratty wrote:

Looked on Google for a while, and can't seem to find anywhere near Glasgow that hire's a Class 2 Cat C.

The closest that I can find is 7.5T: http://www.akrental.co.uk/Truck-Hire/C3-1-0.htm

7.5T is probably to small for take the ROSPA (HGV) test.

It also seems to be cheaper to hire a 18T in Manchester, than it does to hire a 7.5T in Paisley.

#11 24-04-12 14:39:31

(ROG)
Verified Member

Does any tutor in your local group drive a LGV C for a living?

If yes, they might be able to persuade their employer to allow you to borrow it - outside shot but worth a try

IAM Observer

#12 24-04-12 16:27:59

trunkmonkey

Gracie Jits wrote:
ratty wrote:

Looked on Google for a while, and can't seem to find anywhere near Glasgow that hire's a Class 2 Cat C.

The closest that I can find is 7.5T: http://www.akrental.co.uk/Truck-Hire/C3-1-0.htm

7.5T is probably to small for take the ROSPA (HGV) test.

It also seems to be cheaper to hire a 18T in Manchester, than it does to hire a 7.5T in Paisley.

Try Ryder Truck Rental. Their Glasgow Depot is at:
Sandyford Road
Newhouse Industrial Est
Newhouse
Motherwell
ML1 5RX
Tel: 0844 892 2094

They do short term rentals

#13 25-04-12 13:32:55

Gracie Jits

I am not a member of any ROSPA group as I paid for my training.  But I suppose I could look up my local group, and email them for ideas.

I looked on Ryder's website and they say, you require an Operator’s Licence
for any rental duration.

I have emailed them about it, saying that I will only be using it for private use.  I'll post there response if any.

#14 25-04-12 14:56:22

Gracie Jits

The response from Ryder's:

You wouldn't need an operators licence or a tachograph if it was for private use ie. a house move. When would you be looking to hire and how long for?

Regards

Paul McLachlan
Ryder Ltd
Newhouse Ind. Est.
Motherwell
ML1 5RX

Tel No:  0844 892 2094 - Opt 1
Fax No: 0844 892 0770

I am not sure what he would think, if I told him that I want it for ROSPA training.  He might see that as hire or reward, which you would need an operators licence for I think.

If that is a problem, then I suppose I could use it as driving practice on my own, so I don't get to rusty.  Plus I could learn how to work the tachograph.

#15 25-04-12 22:49:27

trunkmonkey

The manager has given you the answer. This is for private use.

Ask yourself the questions:
An Operator Licence is required for any vehicle over 3.5t used to carry goods for hire or reward.
Am I using the vehicle for hire or reward?
In other words, is someone paying me to carry their goods?

If your answer is No, you're over the first hurdle.

A tachograph is required for vehicles deemed to be 'in scope'. Again that refers to the carriage of goods for hire or reward and subject to an Operators Licence.
Do you need to use a tachograph?

If your answer is No, you're over the second hurdle.
But, you can still use one for practice.

#16 26-04-12 06:13:47

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I would stick a tacho in it anyway as that driving would need to be recorded if you were to drive commercially later on. You may get an agency job the following day.

#17 26-04-12 07:45:33

(ROG)
Verified Member

trunkmonkey wrote:

A tachograph is required for vehicles deemed to be 'in scope'. Again that refers to the carriage of goods for hire or reward and subject to an Operators Licence.

If the LGV is over 7.5 tonnes then the answer is YES it does come under EU regs 561/2006 - private empty horseboxes over 7.5 tonnes do for example

Private LGVs under 7.5 tonnes are exempt but there are very few exemptions for those over 7.5 and private driving is not one of them

IAM Observer

#18 26-04-12 14:21:01

Gracie Jits

24 hour hire on 18t vehicle would be £256.80 including insurance & vat, we would also need a £1000 deposit. This needs to go on a credit or debit card.

That's a little to expensive, I can't remember the last time I had £1000 in my bank account.

Regardless whether I am exempt from using the tachograph or not, I would still use it anyway.  I've had my tachograph card for a while now and I've had no chance to use it yet.  Apparently digital tachographs are easy to use, just put your card in and press a few buttons, or so I'll told.

#19 26-04-12 14:33:17

reddragonbus
Verified Member

If you wanted to borrow a class 2 call John 07801 285679

Tell him Jonathan @ Bananas sent you.

I'm sure you can come to some agreement, he may also be able to line you up with driving work.

#20 26-04-12 16:40:36

trunkmonkey

(ROG) wrote:
trunkmonkey wrote:

If the LGV is over 7.5 tonnes then the answer is YES it does come under EU regs 561/2006 - private empty horseboxes over 7.5 tonnes do for example

Private LGVs under 7.5 tonnes are exempt but there are very few exemptions for those over 7.5 and private driving is not one of them

Yep, my mistake. I was thinking about the derogation for training vehicles and the driving test, but it only applies to a DSA test.

#21 09-05-12 21:29:42

Gracie Jits

reddragonbus wrote:

If you wanted to borrow a class 2 call John 07801 285679

Tell him Jonathan @ Bananas sent you.

I'm sure you can come to some agreement, he may also be able to line you up with driving work.

I was told that I would be wasting money do the tachograph CPC Module at GTG, as you can learn how to use them on you tube.
As all CPC courses seem to be useless classroom Crap, were you are nowhere near a truck.  I went for a refresher course, so I can drive a truck and not sit in a boring classroom.
Ritchies do a 4 hour Refresher Course for £200.

I have a family member who is in a temp house just now, so when they are ready to move back into there own house, I'll contact John and see if I can rent a truck from him.

#22 10-05-12 06:23:25

(ROG)
Verified Member

trunkmonkey wrote:

Yep, my mistake. I was thinking about the derogation for training vehicles and the driving test, but it only applies to a DSA test.

And any DCPC approved training such as SAFED etc

IAM Observer

Board footer