You are not logged in.

#1 19-04-12 16:14:32

Gracie Jits

CPC In The Greater Glasgow Area?

I passed my HGV/LGV Class 2 Cat C at the end of last year, and I have done all 4 mods.

Because I am unemployed, I was successful in applying for my ILA Scotland learner account, which will pay up to £200 for approved courses.

I may as well start doing my 35 hours, before my CPC runs out in 2017.  What I am wanting to know is where is the best place to do CPC training in the greater Glasgow area?

I've not driven a Class 2 since passing my test as everyone demands 2 years experience, which is a catch 22.

I don't know how to work a digital tachograph, or how to load a lorry properly.  Putting a chain around some stupid little cage is nothing like a real lorry.

19-04-12 16:14:32

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: CPC In The Greater Glasgow Area?

#2 19-04-12 18:26:33

(ROG)
Verified Member

Anything practical will likely cost an arm and a leg

So its all going to be classroom/theory based unless you want to pay a lot

I am not from that area so do not know who to recommend but can suggest that you google for  - driver cpc glasgow - and see what comes up

Oh - WELCOME

Last edited by (ROG) (19-04-12 18:27:11)

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 19-04-12 18:38:22

(ROG)
Verified Member

Another suggestion - visit www.trucknetuk.com and select forums

IAM Observer

#4 19-04-12 19:56:37

trunkmonkey

Copy and paste the link below:

http://www.drivercpc-periodictraining.o … asgow~&p=1

This  gets you onto the official driver cpc site.
There are two pages of CPC providers in the Glasgow area. Click on the company to see what courses they provide.

For instance Carntyne Transport offer a Digital Tachograph/WTD course and the objectives are
to give advice and instruction on drivers hours / WTD / Tachographs - Digital and Analogue, advice on correct use of Tachograph.

(I have no association with that or any other company in Glasgow).

Before you book, ask if the training will cover basic use of a digi-tacho.  CPC is designed to reinforce a skill that's already there.
You may need a course starting from scratch. That may or may not be a CPC accredited course.

#5 19-04-12 20:00:48

reddragonbus
Verified Member

I use a company in Bathgate called CTTS for my driver cpc periodic training.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#6 21-04-12 21:12:58

Gracie Jits

Thanks everyone.

According to Truck Monkey's link Cardonald College does Drivers CPC.  But it does not appear that way on the College website, so I emailed the College contact on the link.

If I get no answer from them, then I will contact GTG instead.  I live near Cardonald College so I would prefer to go there, plus I have to drive passed Cardonald College in order to get to GTG.

Also does anyone have any tips regarding job hunting?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 22-04-12 09:53:05

trunkmonkey

Gracie Jits wrote:

Thanks everyone.

According to Truck Monkey's link Cardonald College does Drivers CPC.  But it does not appear that way on the College website, so I emailed the College contact on the link.

If I get no answer from them, then I will contact GTG instead.  I live near Cardonald College so I would prefer to go there, plus I have to drive passed Cardonald College in order to get to GTG.

When you go down the list you will see that Cardonald College are registered to provided CPC training to LGV/PCV.
But underneath under 'Course Name' , they haven't registered any courses.

You will see this a lot. You register the company (£1500) and then register the course (£252). Some companies register themselves and then await interest before registering courses.

Seems daft, we did it all together.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 22-04-12 10:06:36

(ROG)
Verified Member

Gracie Jits wrote:

YES

Make sure you have held the licence for 2 years and be over age 25

IAM Observer

#9 23-04-12 17:43:33

Gracie Jits

Looks like it will be GTG then.

This stupid 2 year rule makes no sense.  Pass your HGV test and then wait 2 years until you can use it, and your standard of driving is dangerously below test standard, as you have not driven a HGV in 2 years.

Knowing what I know now, I should have gone for the PCV licence, as first bus are snapping people up with PCV licence's.

#10 06-05-12 20:07:47

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Dont just jump in to going with GTG, source other training bodies and costs first, you have plenty time, and may well find employment with a company who covers the cost.

I cover DCPC outwith my fulltime employment, but my costs are based on how many delegetes are on the course, the more there are, the cheaper it gets. Try sourcing other companies that do likewise.
AL

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#11 09-05-12 21:03:26

Gracie Jits

I was told that I would be wasting money do the tachograph CPC Module at GTG, as you can learn how to use them on you tube.

As all CPC courses seem to be useless classroom Crap, were you are nowhere near a truck.  I went for a refresher course, so I can drive a truck and not sit in a boring classroom.

It says on the ILA website that Ritchies do a 6 hour Refresher Course for £240, so I send Ritchies an email and got this reply:

Hi

Due to a recent price increase the cost is £200.00 for a 4 hour Refresher Course.

These are normally held on a Saturday but either myself of a colleague will call you back with a date.

Regards

So I replied to that email saying that I would do the 4 hour refresher instead.  I also asked if I could use the tachograph during the refresher course, but no one as got back to me and this was on the 1st of May.

I would prefer not to be sitting in some boring classroom, which I see as a money making scheme.  Learning to drive and load trucks safely for CPC etc, should be done at and in a truck.  Not some boring classroom.

AL if the EK part in your user name stands for East Kilbride, you might be able to help with an idea I got from www.trucknetuk.com

Instead of phoning companies or sending them CV's etc.  Some people have got lucky by knocking on the door and asking for work.
But I don't know where I could try.

#12 10-05-12 06:25:53

(ROG)
Verified Member

That 4 hours cannot be a DCPC approved course as they must be either 7 hours or 2 x 3.5 hours over 24 hours

IAM Observer

#13 10-05-12 06:28:28

(ROG)
Verified Member

Gracie Jits wrote:

I would prefer not to be sitting in some boring classroom, which I see as a money making scheme.  Learning to drive and load trucks safely for CPC etc, should be done at and in a truck.  Not some boring classroom.

If you wish to pay loads of money then you can have that non classroom DCPC  - no problem

IAM Observer

#14 12-05-12 19:44:06

Gracie Jits

Ah yes I forgot to say that, while I was looking at CPC courses I could only see boring classroom courses that would not have been of great help.
So I decided that since I have 5 years until I have to do the 35 hours, I may as well do something that lets me drive a truck.  Plus before starting most HGV jobs, you seem to get an assessment drive with a hard reverse.  Fail that and you don't get the job sad

So the 4 hour refresher, would be of much better use than sitting in some boring classroom.

I take it those non classroom CPC courses are a lot more than £200?

#15 26-06-12 19:40:48

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Gracie Jits wrote:

Ah yes I forgot to say that, while I was looking at CPC courses I could only see boring classroom courses that would not have been of great help.
So I decided that since I have 5 years until I have to do the 35 hours, I may as well do something that lets me drive a truck.  Plus before starting most HGV jobs, you seem to get an assessment drive with a hard reverse.  Fail that and you don't get the job sad

So the 4 hour refresher, would be of much better use than sitting in some boring classroom.

Hi Gracie Jits, sorry for late reply, been a busy boy lately, plus laptop crashed - yeah EK is for East Kilbride

As far as "boring" classroom DCPC is concerned, it may look that way, and to be honest, as a trainer I sometimes don't look forward to some of the classroom courses, but most pan out to be informative enough, and depending how "interactive" the delegates are, the day can pass quick enough.

Q - did you get any luck with Tacho/WTD courses? I have a tacho simulator file, its 16.8mb, you should be able to get one easy enough.

anything else, give me a shout, and not ALL companies look for 2 years experience driving.

AL

Driver CPC Trainer

#16 28-06-12 22:06:53

Gracie Jits

I was told not to waste my ILA doing any Tacho courses, as you can learn how to use them on You Tube.

I have phoned and emailed both Ritchies and CTTS several times regarding the ILA account courses they offer, which gets you out in a HGV.  CTTS offer the best one, which counts towards your DCPC.

But I have been ignored by both of them, and I am P'ed off at them.  I bet if I was paying cash, they would not be ignoring me.

I have a HNC in Computing as well as the A+ qualification, so I was thinking of using the ILA to do the updated version of the A+ just to keep me up to date.

I was also thinking about starting up on my own as an ADI, but I don't have the funds to start up on my own.  I've have my green since 2009 and don't want to get rusty and fail a check test.
I've not taught a learner since the end of 2010, and the last time I was out with my trainer was May last year.

#17 29-06-12 07:10:35

trunkmonkey

Gracie Jits wrote:

I'll apologise if I've missed something here because it hasn't been picked up.

You don't have 5 years. You have until September 2014. The 5 years started in 2009 and gave everyone in need of periodic training until 2014.
That was when your clock started ticking.

#18 29-06-12 08:15:34

(ROG)
Verified Member

trunkmonkey wrote:

You don't have 5 years. You have until September 2014. The 5 years started in 2009 and gave everyone in need of periodic training until 2014.

5 years from when they did initial dcpc modules which I think the OP did...... not certain of that

The 5 years up to 09/09/2014 is only for those who had any LGV C1 to CE category on 10/09/2009

IAM Observer

#19 29-06-12 17:45:27

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

(ROG) wrote:
trunkmonkey wrote:

5 years from when they did initial dcpc modules which I think the OP did...... not certain of that

The 5 years up to 09/09/2014 is only for those who had any LGV C1 to CE category on 10/09/2009

I agree with ROG, Sept 14 is the cut off for the "majority" of dirvers, those who passed prior to Sept 09.

Driver CPC Trainer

#20 29-06-12 23:00:00

Gracie Jits

My 5 years started this year and I have until 2017.  I have the paperwork, certificate and CPC card to prove it as well.

I passed my HGV Class 2 before christmas, and I done my initial DCPC in February I think.

If I only had until 2014, then that means that I would have had my licence for a few years now.  Then I would not be hitting the must have had your HGV licence for 2 years crap.  If an examiner passes you, and declares that your now safe to drive on your own, that should be enough.  Or at least give people a chance to prove themselves with a driving assessment.

I've been told by an adviser that I should think about becoming a Taxi driver,  As the start up costs are cheaper than being an indi ADI.  The franchise fee of £285 per week puts me of though.
A bad experience on a franchise is why I stopped being an ADI.  So not too keen on joining an other one.

#21 30-06-12 09:11:06

(ROG)
Verified Member

Gracie Jits wrote:

If I only had until 2014, then that means that I would have had my licence for a few years now.  Then I would not be hitting the must have had your HGV licence for 2 years crap.  If an examiner passes you, and declares that your now safe to drive on your own, that should be enough.  Or at least give people a chance to prove themselves with a driving assessment.

All with the pre 97 C1 LGV have until 09/09/2014 but if they go for LGV C now then that still remains the same expiry date because the inital LGV driver cpc is not required - this refers to commercial LGV and not private LGV driving

These days employers/agencies look at the actual pass date for the category in which they are considering employing you and want you to have HELD that category for 2 years etc

This would not occur if there were more LGV jobs than drivers - you would be working the day after the test!!

IAM Observer

#22 01-07-12 14:08:34

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

We have had "agency" drivers in our place that have had less than 2 years driving, so maybe try some local Agencies?

AL

Driver CPC Trainer

#23 12-07-12 21:06:44

Gracie Jits

EKAL wrote:

We have had "agency" drivers in our place that have had less than 2 years driving, so maybe try some local Agencies?

AL

All I ever get from agency's, is that our clients demand drivers with at least 2 years experience.  Or that the insurance company demands 2 years experience.

Do you know the names of those agency's AL?  I'll give them a phone if you do, maybe end up in your place if I am lucky.

If I can't get anything by mid August, then I will see about joining Eastwood/Mearns Taxi Co.

#24 15-07-12 18:34:05

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Gracie Jits wrote:
EKAL wrote:

AL

All I ever get from agency's, is that our clients demand drivers with at least 2 years experience.  Or that the insurance company demands 2 years experience.

Do you know the names of those agency's AL?  I'll give them a phone if you do, maybe end up in your place if I am lucky.

If I can't get anything by mid August, then I will see about joining Eastwood/Mearns Taxi Co.

Sent by PM

Driver CPC Trainer

#25 01-10-12 17:39:06

Tommy_morrison

Yeah i passed my test in sept 2011 and was working for an agency in Glasgow "jark" and was working in shanks up in queenslie. 

and when i passed my test i was desperate for a chance to start, even driving bin lorries i don't care so long as i am using my licence. i drove the bin lorries up @   T in the park as they had the contract to clean the place after it had finished.

But after passing my initial cpc and speaking to the agency jark they said they needed 2 years experience in order to drive for them? all be cause of insurance reason and that what the employer wants?

HOW CAN YOU GET EXPERIENCE WHEN NO ONE WILL GIVE YOU THAT CHANCE. i cant afford to jump from agency to agency looking for full time work. An old boy in my work told me  one way is to try and get 7.5t work with agency and after a year of clean driving they'll usually give you the  class 2 work plus be over 25 y.o

Board footer