You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 29-03-12 19:02:41

raz38
Verified Member

Instructor Training info needed

Hi All

New to the forum, but looking for advice.

I am in the Manchester area and looking to become a driving instructor.  I have spoken to a few different companies and was wondering if anything was known of them or if anyone had recommendations.

I have so far spoke to the AA, LDC and Surepass, they all seem to be good with similar costs, the differences being mainly the franchises afterwards.  Surepass I think is a national company but seems their 'head office' is in my local town.

I was thinking of doing franchises with them too I think.

Also spoke to RED, which is about the only company I can find any bad info about on the net.

Any help or info gratefully received as my head is battered with it all now lol

Last edited by raz38 (29-03-12 19:17:17)

29-03-12 19:02:41

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Instructor Training info needed

#2 29-03-12 19:52:16

martin Williams
Verified Member

You seem to be going round it the right way by taking your time to find a trainer. Why not go down to your local test centre and have a chat with some of your local ADIs while their pupils are out on test i'm sure they will give you loads of helpful info?

#3 29-03-12 20:48:45

kaf
Verified Member
Website

I trained with LDC, cannot say a bad word about the training. However they do not always supply many pupils in some areas, phone a local LDC instructor or two in your area and ask them how business is.

I looked at Surepass 5 years ago, but was not at all impressed with their set up and reluctance to answer direct questions.

No experience of AA.

Consider a second option. Look for a local ADI who will train you on a one to one basis. You may find you can save several thousand pounds. You can train on a pay as you go basis so if you decide it is not for you you have not paid for training you do not need.

#4 29-03-12 21:07:03

raz38
Verified Member

Martin, good idea, I hadn't actually thought of doing that!

Thanks for that too Kaf, The LDC did look like a good option but I hadn't heard of them or seen their cars around.  Although I only saw 1 Surepass car and it was a couple of days ago at my local Tesco's, unfortunately I din't get to chat.  I did check out their address on google, shows a nice pic of a house with 10 silver corsa's parked up.  They did seem really helpful and chatty on the phone though.

AA was the first people I talked to, mainly because they were the first i thought of, followed by BSM for obvious reasons.

Hadnt considered a local ADI, definately worth a thought.

#5 29-03-12 21:19:10

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Have a read of this as a reality check if you haven't already.

http://www.squidoo.com/driving_instruct … e156459503

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 29-03-12 22:13:38

raz38
Verified Member

kaf wrote:

Well thats quite an eye opener.  I knew it wasn't a walk in the park but that website makes it look like there isn't actually a point to doing it.

Personally I took all the 'earn 30k' claims with a pinch of salt anyway, but figured it must be possible to actually make a living at it.

It still really appeals to me, I have always enjoyed training people and spent a good number of years doing it, but, doesn't look like it makes financial sense.

Something to think about indeed.

#7 29-03-12 22:22:07

Promanade

Hi Raz, check your emails or PMs.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 29-03-12 22:37:15

raz38
Verified Member

Promanade wrote:

Hi Raz, check your emails or PMs.

Done and done smile

#9 30-03-12 07:26:50

Loopy Lou
Verified Member

raz38 wrote:
kaf wrote:

Well thats quite an eye opener.  I knew it wasn't a walk in the park but that website makes it look like there isn't actually a point to doing it.

Personally I took all the 'earn 30k' claims with a pinch of salt anyway, but figured it must be possible to actually make a living at it.

It still really appeals to me, I have always enjoyed training people and spent a good number of years doing it, but, doesn't look like it makes financial sense.

Something to think about indeed.

I originally wrote that page in 2007 and I keep it updated but things have changed a LOT since I wrote it and in many ways things are a lot WORSE now than when I created it

I wrote it as the "gravy train" of instructor training companies started to gain momentum and everyone and his dog got into instructor training. I wanted to give prospective instructors the information that the training companies either didn't mention or glossed over, so that people could make a properly informed choice.

Now the cash cow of ADI training has been milked dry, but the industry is left with a surplus of instructors at a time when demand for driving lessons has fallen due to several factors (recession, huge insurance premiums for under 25s and high fuel costs).

PLEASE do think carefully...aside from the low qualification rates, have a look at threads on this and other forums (there is a Private ADI forum here in addition to the main one, which I don't think you can see with your present status but it contains many accounts of instructors struggling and even giving up completely).

Look at the price of driving lessons in your area...if there are lots of "bargain basement deals", then ask yourself why? Could it be that instructors are struggling for work and all they can compete on in a market with too much supply and too little demand is price? Competing on price is a vicious circle - instructor A lowers prices to get work, instructor B undercuts instructor A, instructor C undercuts instructor B and very soon someone ends up working at a loss.

Factor in how much it COSTS to give a driving lesson (fuel, insurance, advertising and so on) and ask yourself as a new instructor coming into a shrinking market could you make a living?

Last edited by Loopy Lou (30-03-12 07:31:50)

It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful...

#10 30-03-12 07:34:16

Roadmaster
Verified Member

DSA now publishes details of number of ADIs in each area, so you can see what your up against.   If I can find the link I'll post it later, or someone else may already have it.

In my postcode there are 350 ADIs/PDIs.  That's a lot of competition.   In the last six months I know of 8 ADIs who have packed up in my area.

#11 30-03-12 07:36:00

Roadmaster
Verified Member

#12 30-03-12 20:27:50

Cliff
Verified Member

Roadmaster wrote:

But How many are actually working ?

Board footer