You are not logged in.

#1 19-03-12 19:26:43

Driver99

Part 2 - motorway advisory speed limits

Would the Examiner expect a PDI to obey advisory limits if the signs were active, or drive to what was observed?

19-03-12 19:26:43

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 2 - motorway advisory speed limits

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 19-03-12 19:59:00

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Personally, drive to the signs

#3 19-03-12 20:24:24

ralge
Verified Member

Good question.
I wouldn't know what the DSA line would be having only ever gone down a RoSPA route - it never came up in my Part2. And I've not been to Cardington or done DIAmond.
I was criticised for going with the signs on my first Gold test so I am sure what view is taken by RoSPA.

Both systems suggest we should be able to stop in the distance we can see to be clear, so if the advisory signs are not yet telling the immediate (within the next 400 yards) truth about opportunities for progress, look out for confirmation of a problem ahead but to slow precisely to the advised lower speed is not necessary in my book. I would, however, consider easing off a touch and consider talking to those behind quite early with brake lights when the hold-up comes into view.

Last edited by ralge (19-03-12 20:35:28)

DSA Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Dip, PTLLS, Safed for Vans, NDAC/Speed Awareness on-road trainer, RoSPA RoAD Test Examiner.

#4 19-03-12 22:24:19

boing boing
Verified Member
Website

What kaf said, there may be something I and other drivers can't see (debris in another lane) because we are looking for the obvious.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 20-03-12 14:30:56

Driver99

boing boing wrote:

What kaf said, there may be something I and other drivers can't see (debris in another lane) because we are looking for the obvious.

I'm thinking of clear motorway with little traffic and hundreds of yards of visibility.  Fortunately when I did Part 2 the signs were not lit, but I think I would have said something like "I can see the advisory speed limit, I'm happy I can stop in the distance I can see to be clear, but I will be looking for/expecting an incident."

I would be worried about picking up a fault for lack of progress.  Maybe I'd have picked up a fault for too much progress!

50mph signs are set for a multitude of things that are not yet confirmed, slower speeds can mean there is actually something going on.

What about the permanent advisory speed limits for some bends on motorways - I think more to alert LGV drivers to a sharper bend which a car can still take safely at higher speeds, surely an Examiner wouldn't expect you to slow for those?

It would be interesting to hear what ADIs teach on Pass Plus or post-test motorway sessions.

#6 20-03-12 14:55:10

(ROG)
Verified Member

On a DSA LGV test if the candidate exceed the recommended speed anywhere then it gets marked down and it can be a fail depending on how each individual examiner sees the situation.

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#7 21-03-12 21:58:38

martin_t
Verified Member

When I was training for part 2 my trainer informed me one of his clients was faulted for driving to the advisory limit on a motorway when it was clearly safe to make more progress.

Board footer