You are not logged in.

#1 18-03-12 16:50:09

Chris1502

check test tomorrow!

I have my first check test tomorrow.  Have chosen my pupil, hope I've chosen the right one!  I am going to do roundabouts, but am now wondering if this is a good idea as reading through this section most people seem to do anticipation and planning.  Am I making a big mistake!  I have planned a route including 4 roundabouts on a circuit.  All are different shapes, some have road markings some don't.  I have written a lesson plan which starts off with aim and objective, the the following points

1. discussion about roundabouts and what pupil knows already, various types of roundabout, signage, procedure for turning left, right, straight ahead including priority, lane discipline, speed, mspsl, hazards.

2. Drive round the circuit talking the pupil through the first circuit pull up if necessary after first circuit to discuss any difficulties or complete circuit again with prompting

3. ask her to complete the circuit again with me prompting where necessary and her commentating on what she is doing if possible. 

4. If possible, do a circuit with  no prompting, showing learning has taken place. 

Obviously, this might not all be dealt with in one hour and I will conduct the lesson at a pace to suit the pupil ensuring she understands fully before moving on to next step, defining and discussing any problems on the way.

How does that sound?

She has had a lesson on roundabouts before but was a little nervous.

Any comments gratefully received!

Chris

18-03-12 16:50:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: check test tomorrow!

#2 18-03-12 18:47:01

Chris1502

Thanks Danny, will read that through.  My aims and objectives are to discuss and then practice safe negotiation of roundabouts to turn left, right and go straight ahead taking into account any road markings and traffic control systems as well as any hazards that need to be considered.

Chris

#3 18-03-12 20:24:34

Chris1502

Thanks for the help Danny,

I appreciate and agree with what you are saying that roundabouts can not be covered in an hour.  This pupil has had a previous 2 hour lesson on roundabouts so I am looking to improve confidence and ensure learning has taken place and she understands correct procedure.

My aim is for the pupil to show an understanding of safely negotiating a circuit of roundabouts using the correct lane to enter and exit each roundabout in various directions and to understand the importance of lane discipline, observation and be aware of the hazards that can be encountered. 

The objective is for the pupils confidence, anticipation and awareness of traffic and other hazards when negotiating roundabouts to improve along with a clear understanding of lane discipline on entry and exit.

Thanks

Chris

#4 18-03-12 20:49:40

Chris1502

Here we go, final copy, its printed off and in the file!

Recap:        Discuss previous lesson and introduce the aim and objective
Aim:     Safely use standard roundabouts to turn left, go straight ahead or turn right
Objective:     Understand how and when to apply MSPSL, show improving observation and awareness, understand lane discipline, priority when entering and procedure for leaving a roundabout

Brief:
What does the pupil know about roundabouts?
Signage
Traffic controlled roundabouts
Size and shape of roundabout
Turning left?
Straight ahead?
Turning right?

Discuss priority, lane discipline, speed, mirrors and signalling for each of the above.  Use pictures to show correct route for each.

Importance of MSPSL
Importance of defensive driving keeping close eye on vehicle in front

What hazards might be found on a roundabout?
Cyclists, motorbikes, horses, long vehicles, all vehicles, pedestrians, road surface

Are there any exceptions to the rules discussed above?
Traffic lights, give way signs

Debrief: Discuss pupil’s experience of using the roundabouts, is the pupil clear on the correct procedure at roundabouts?  Move on to busier more complex roundabouts in next lesson if appropriate or recap quieter roundabouts to improve confidence.       

Chris

#5 18-03-12 21:52:52

martin Williams
Verified Member

Why dont you just do the same roundabout lesson you give to all your pupils who have done them before but need more practice at them?

If your pupils already done roundabouts there should be no briefing Chris just a couple of questions based on the problems you had last time.  Just a recap if it was on your last lesson then get moving as soon as you can.

Last edited by martin Williams (18-03-12 21:54:20)

#6 18-03-12 22:12:24

Chris1502

I think I'm panicking a bit Martin and overthinking!  Not really sure what to expect.  I thought I should recap hazards etc with the pupil to check prior learning, there is a lot of information to take in for roundabouts and from experience I have found that much is forgotten between the first and second lessons.  That could be done on the way to the circuit we will be using.  I wanted to do a lesson plan that I could give to the examiner to show what I normally do for roundabouts so he could see that everything has been covered, if not on the current lesson then previously.  I think! 

Chris

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 19-03-12 09:15:58

kaf
Verified Member
Website

Examiner is not really that interested in your lesson plan. or what you normally do, just wants to see a lesson delivered at the right level for that particular pupil.

As has been said, keep it simple. What would you do if it was NOT a check test?

#8 19-03-12 18:16:31

martin Williams
Verified Member

How did you get on Chris?

#9 19-03-12 22:13:18

on board training

+1

Board footer