You are not logged in.

#1 15-03-12 14:22:58

crsfrbs

Good and reasonably priced driving tuition in Glasgow/East Kilbride?

Hello there..
As the subject suggests i'm looking for some good, reasonably priced driving tuition in Glasgow or East Kilbride.. That covers Whitlawburn, G72 area.
After a fairly extensive search online I booked in to take an introductory 5lesson=£60 with the aim of doing one of their(i won't mention names here) intensive courses at £761 after i get my theory/hazardtest complete.
Problem is the instructor cancelled my first lesson for the 2nd time late lastnight saying their car still was'nt fixed.
Now i know they may or may not have been telling the truth, but now that element of doubt is in my mind i reckon i'll be well placed spending my hard earned sheckells elsewhere.
I'm male, 37yrs of age. I've had around 20-25hrs driving tuition through the years
and never saw it through due one thing or another.
I passed the theory(34/35) and hazard(56) in '05 and am currently preparing to sit
the new 2012 test.
I also had my CBT(compulsory bike training) and regularly used bike for 4yrs(done the CBT twice), so have a little familiarity road-wise, albeit mainly on a bike.
I'm looking to start lessons now i have the cash saved up and time on my hands.
Was supposed to have my 1st lesson monday past, got cancelled, then was supposed to be today and was cancelled again, so i am now looking elsewhere.
Sorry for the long-winded post, i just wanted to give a bit of background.
Any replies, advice, criticisms etc.. are well appreciated!
Thanks, cris.

15-03-12 14:22:58

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Good and reasonably priced driving tuition in Glasgow/East Kilbride?

#2 15-03-12 17:01:13

Mentor
Verified Member

I can't help you directly as you are outside my operating area, but my general advice would be not to go for ridiculously low starting prices. I charge £90 for 5 lessons as an introductory offer, 50% more than you have gone for. Given your previous experience, I would be looking at a price of £575 for the intensive course. That would give you 10, 3 hour sessions.
Try and find yourself an independent instructor who will work with you and be reliable.

#3 15-03-12 18:27:31

reddragonbus
Verified Member

In this world you get what you pay for.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#4 15-03-12 18:37:11

martin Williams
Verified Member

My advice is to not pay a big payment upfront if you are worried about the instructor letting you down. Also make sure they are fully qualified with a green badge not a trainee on a pink badge unless you get a good discount. Knowone can give you any idea how many lessons you will need till they see you drive but of course they can guess going by averages. Good luck Chris i hope all goes well.

Martin

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 15-03-12 19:31:13

Lewinpeter1
Verified Member
Website

Hi cris
With your experience and on road experience i would doubt you will need alot of lessons;forget the discount brigades and get a good[recommended]driving instructor.You should get sound advice and quality tuition.
Good luck
Peter

Dont press that,oh @@##!

#6 15-03-12 20:54:49

m6northtoheaven
Verified Member

And why does it have to be an indepenant instructor. There are plenty of good, reliable franchisees out there. Its sounds to me that the OP's previous instructor was independent seeing his/her car was still broken, not very reliable.

M6

The inclanation of the optic is as adequate as a twitch of the cranium like a quadraped divoid of its visionary capacity!

#7 15-03-12 22:24:35

crsfrbs

Thanks everyone sofar for your comments etc..
It was indeed a franchisee i had my lessons booked with(one of the main reasons i found it odd them not having a car for over a week, but then i don't know how they operate).
Mentor:- I'd have been really interested in your services as the instructor that let me down actually cost more than you overall for the same amount of hours(intro offer was 5hours=£60+30hour intensive@£761=£821 total - apologies folks i was'nt 100% clear on that earlier), so that's a pity, but again, thanks all the same.
Martin Williams:- great advice, cheers. I actually found that out lastnight on one of my internet searches and it's something i'd look out for, especially in regard to cost, as i'm not adverse to using an instructor with a pink badge(as long as their prices reflected this and you could tell they where dedicated).
I spent hours trawling the internet today and found a 25year old driving school advertising:- 1st 3hours=£14each, then i could do; their 10hours=£190, and their intense; 30hrs=£572(includes practical test fee - costs a little more on weekends).
That would give me 43hours tuition(with 30hours of that taken monday to thursday with the test on the friday) + the practical test fee for a total of £804.
I'm thinking i'll call them for the 1st 3hours@£42(intro offer) this monday coming, unless something else develops over the weekend from now 'till then. I'll be keeping an eye on this aswell, so anymore comments, advice, offers, even criticisms are all most welcome.
Basically, at 37 now my license is a wee bit overdue and i'm determined to get it, because now i've got both the time on my hands and it's taken me awile to save the cash i need to do this - So i've now no excuses!!!
Thanks all, cris.

#8 15-03-12 22:53:30

crsfrbs

Can i just add folks, i've been looking at introductory offers with 5-10lessons so the instructor has a chance to asess what i can and cannot do, and for myself before i part with a small wedge of cash for an intensive, one week course incase i'm not impressed, and/or uncomfortable with my instructor.
Taking the intro lessons would also give me a little time to obtain my theory/hazard certificate - setting me up nicely for a go at an intensive 1week course.
The driving school i'm thinking of would, according to their website, i'd be able to get the 43hours tuition+practical test fee for £804total. The last driving instructor(a franchisee) i booked with that let me down the first 2times in a row(bad omen!) was charging a total of £821 for 35hrs.
I'm really looking for around 35-40hrs tuition, then hopefully i'll be around or at, test standard. thanks, cris.

Board footer