You are not logged in.

#1 28-07-11 19:46:57

EmmaLearner

My learning story

Just thought I'd share my learning story. Not many people listen cos they find talking about driving boring  big_smile I started taking lessons in Winter 2009, my grandma was paying for my lessons because she really wants me to drive because my parents and boyfriend don't. I didn't really get on well with my instructor so I took lessons through to Spring 2010 then stopped taking them. Felt pressured and like I had to do it because they wanted me to drive, rather than for myself. Used to panic so much getting in the car, remember used to feel such dread when I knew my lesson was coming up, lump in the throat, knots in my stomach. I still get nervous before lessons now kind of, will be a long time till I'm not nervous, but nothing like I was before, petrified. Remember used to come up to roundabouts and was so scared to take my eyes off the road where I was going that I didn't dare turn my head to look right. I had no prior knowledge about cars as I'd hardly ever been in a car, before my first lesson I didn't know clutches existed or what they did. Was so scared and panicked about what I was doing couldn't concentrate on the road.

Anyway, went on holiday to the south of England earlier this year and found myself getting so annoyed when sitting in peoples cars. Dunno what changed, but looked at them driving and thinking "I could do this, why am I not driving?". So I spent most of the holiday reading the Highway Code in depth, really got stuck into it, and started taking lessons with a new female instructor who is a lot more relaxed and puts you at ease during lessons and doesn't put me on edge, and I actually wanna do it for myself now. Feel a lot more confident, passed my Theory.

28-07-11 19:46:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: My learning story

#2 28-07-11 19:49:32

EmmaLearner

And I have my practical booked for November. I am easily driving, doing gear changes etc, and I don't have to focus on what I'm doing in the car so I am constantly planning/observing the road. I can't wait to pass my test, feels bad thinking that everyone else can drive and pass their test but me. I'm as concerned about passing my test as I am being safe once I've passed though, so I'm in no rush, and want to learn as much as possible, why I've joined. Looking forward to posting on here.

#3 28-07-11 20:18:33

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hi Hun, Glad you have found out you want to learn to drive, for YOURSELF not because someone else wants you to learn.
Best of luck with your lessons, and glad you have found an Instructor you like smile

Giz

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 28-07-11 20:20:21

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

Hi Emma,
this sounds like it is all going to have a wonderful ending for you.  You have now found the motivation to do things for yourself, because you want to.  I'm pleased you found another instructor who you gel with better.  A relaxed learning environment makes for a more pleasant experience.  You will make much better progress like this.  There may be the odd occasion when things just seem to go wrong.  This is a natural part of learning practical skills and will pass quickly. 

Good luck with your lessons and your test, just remember not to be your own worst enemy if something does go wrong, remember your lessons, keep calm and concentrate on what you are doing. 

I'm sure you will make a safe driver when you have passed your test as you seem to have a clear focus on what you want to achieve and how to do it.

Just because I'm a driving instructor, it doesn't make me a dual control freak. 
www.way-ahead-driving.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 28-07-11 20:31:16

VandADI
Administrator

I'm as concerned about passing my test as I am being safe once I've passed though, so I'm in no rush, and want to learn as much as possible

What a wonderfully positive attitude you have EmmaLearner.
Try not to beat yourself up when things don't go according to plan, just learn from it and make it better for next time.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.  smile

#6 28-07-11 20:39:22

EmmaLearner

Thanks guys big_smile people were saying at work today about why I ask so many questions about driving, it's just because I want to learn and I don't have many people to ask. I ask my ADI a lot but mainly I just try and focus on my driving and getting experience. I want to feel like when I am on the road when I pass, I can handle any situation I could possibly come across. I know I might be setting myself high targets, but I just wanna know as much as I can so I can react to anything that might happen. I read the Highway Code a lot still.

#7 28-07-11 21:10:13

metalmicky
Verified Member
Website

Too many drivers on the road who haven't looked at since passing their driving or theory test.  Even after you have been driving for a number of years you will still see another driver do something incredibly stupid for the very first time, at least then you will be a lot more confident and have a number of years of experience to draw upon to help you take the correct action and maintain your own safety.  Always ask questions of anyone who will give you a straight sensible answer or who can help you arrive at the correct answer yourself.

Just because I'm a driving instructor, it doesn't make me a dual control freak. 
www.way-ahead-driving.co.uk

#8 04-08-11 15:07:33

MattyH

To be honest I just wanted to pass my test as quickly as I possibly could and I certainly was not worried about making sure I was a great driver before I passed. Since I passed a couple of years ago ive had a few near experiences where I have made silly mistakes but eventually through trial and error you improve as I have discovered

#9 14-01-12 10:46:53

EmmaLearner

I have my driving test on Jan 25th, really nervous, last lesson I kept making silly mistakes and I worry I'm not ready. I've been out of lessons since November until now because I broke my ankle, but the lesson before that I just got right back into it and my instructor thinks I'm ready, she thought I was ready end of October/early November. I'm so anxious.

#10 14-01-12 16:41:04

VandADI
Administrator

You go girl, you have a positive mental attitude and I am sure you will do your best.  Let us know how you get on  smile

#11 14-01-12 20:20:24

(ROG)
Verified Member

Are you driving with parental supervision as well as with your ADI?

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#12 15-01-12 18:10:55

EmmaLearner

No parental supervision at all, no one in my immediate family drives at all. Before my first lesson, I didn't even know what a clutch was or that they even existed. I've been taking lessons since late 2009 and had a year out, started taking them again May 2011.

And thanks Vanda, will be sure to let you know! smile Don't think I will but you never know. So nervous.

Last edited by EmmaLearner (15-01-12 18:11:49)

#13 31-01-12 18:35:04

accordintomaz

Hi Emma,

Have been catching up with old posts.

i hope your lack of contact doesn't mean bad news, if you're lurking around let us know how you got on. 
big_smile

Best wishes

Mary x

#14 08-02-12 12:14:37

EmmaLearner

Hello all! I failed my first test a couple of weeks ago, messed up by cutting across a lane on a roundabout, other than that I only got 2 minors. Took my second test again today and passed! I only got one minor for timing and that was it!

#15 08-02-12 12:35:40

accordintomaz

Brilliant Emma

WELL DONE

excellent result, enjoy!

#16 08-02-12 23:05:15

lucy
Verified Member
Website

Well done have fun driving.

#17 09-02-12 05:51:17

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Excellent, well done Emma!  big_smile

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#18 29-05-12 07:11:50

Opticus

Well done Emma. I just read your story and you remind me of a couple of my students.

Board footer