You are not logged in.

#1 03-02-12 18:06:35

BassGirl
Verified Member

FLH

Hi

Im thinking of taking a full licence holder from EU who wants to get used to driving in the UK and who hasnt driven for a while. Do they expect me to teach them as if I was teaching someone for a test or as an advanced driver or are there certain things that they dont expect me to insist on like "pull push steering" etc?

Thanks for any advice

Katherine

03-02-12 18:06:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: FLH

#2 03-02-12 18:57:50

whodareswins
Verified Member

Katherine,

Forget what you believe the DSA "expects". What would YOU do with this person? They are already a FLH whose licence allows them to drive here without restriction.

Do you REALLY want to change their steering method if it is safe? Pull/Push steering is NOT a DSA requirement and nobody has ever failed their driving test for crossing their hands on the steering wheel as long as control is not compromised.

Of course you should treat them as an experienced driver and you should concentrate on those aspects of their driving most affected by driving on the other side of the road. e.g. adequate clearance, rules for roundabouts etc. etc.

Grade 6 ADI/Fleet Trainer, SAFED Registered Trainer, Qualified BTEC Assessor

#3 03-02-12 19:46:51

martin Williams
Verified Member

The first thing is dont expect their driving to be anywhere near the standard of a competant driver.

The i havnt driven for a while should get you asking more questions. I would do an accessment drive 10-15 minutes then sort the most serious faults first.

Last edited by martin Williams (04-02-12 09:51:07)

#4 04-02-12 01:27:12

android
Verified Member

Why are you contemplating this?

Do not experiment with new recipies when you have guests to impress.

Confucius say, "Opinion, like old man's dribble - Once out of mouth, no use to anyone."

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 04-02-12 13:07:49

Born Saintly
Verified Member

Totally agree with Android

I would keep to a subject I am comfortable with

Rich

#6 04-02-12 17:43:56

MAZ
Verified Member

Read this yesterday but did not realise it was for a C/T.

Don’t do it Bassgirl, it would be crazy, 1st time drivers on the left can do random dangerous things.
As others have said go for something that you would normally deal with every day.

Boom badoom boom boom badoom boom bass.

MAZ.

#7 04-02-12 17:53:27

BassGirl
Verified Member

Hi

Ok thanks for the advice. I was also considering getting the SE to roleplay the FLH I think there is an option to do this but it says something about doing the reverse park excersize. Would this be as in the learner test ie behind 1 car or in the more useful way between 2 cars? I do quite a lot of refresher courses with foreigners so I am quite used to the faults they do its just im not sure what they will expect in the check test and what kind of faults that I would normally get a learner to correct would be acceptable to not correct in this situation. Maybe im just being paranoid but these tests really get me worried.

#8 04-02-12 18:01:57

BassGirl
Verified Member

Also. If they dont use the handbrake when they stop on a hill should I insist on them using it if they can get the bite and not let it roll back ??

Board footer