You are not logged in.

#1 03-02-12 12:07:03

ChrisLGV

Looking at becoming a LGV instructor any tips?

Hi all,
Im currently due to leave the forces over the next 4 months, and im looking at setting up as a LGV instructor. I have been trained up by the forces as a driving instructor and teach all licence categories apart from A. I have done this for aound 5 years now and have a record of all the students i have taught. Im currently applying to be put on the DSA LGV instructors register, as the DSA recognise the forces qualifcation. I also have 8 year agency driving experience on the trucks.

A couple of Questions.

Is the market still worth moving into?

Any tips on starting up or any good website to look at?

What things should i take into consideration i.e. Buying or leasing a truck, maintance, insurance, premises, fuel, test cost,
advertising.

I would really appreciate any help or advice you can give me please.

Thanks Chris

03-02-12 12:07:03

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Looking at becoming a LGV instructor any tips?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 03-02-12 22:52:26

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Hi Chris - firstly - good luck in the transition from Forces back into Civilian life, hope the preparations are going well.  LGV instructors will always be required as long as people need to pass a test to drive anything other can CAT B if they passed CAT B after Jan 97. 

I started teaching learners and then we branched into B+E which gave us a good insight into LGV instruction.  After 2 years of B+E and 500 plus tests later, we are about to start with Cat C - we have built up our target market over the last couple of years and built up a good reputation within the area and local industries where we get repeat business. 

I would recommend you do your ground work - suss out which area you would be looking to instruct in, see how many companies are already instructing in that area - go an talk to local LGV instructors - normally found huddled around a burger van outside a test centre.  Once you have decided what you are going to do and what vehicle you propose to use, go and introduce yourself to the local LGV examiners - we found they were really helpful and very welcoming of a new face.  sometimes a new kid on the block is not a bad thing  tongue

Good luck with your future career - and the best advice I could offer is don't over commit yourself with buying equipment or renting premises etc - start up with what you can afford and build up slowly.  Don't be afraid to be cheeky and talk to local landowners about renting suitable land for training the off road exercises -for sensible money. 

Insurance for LGV training vehicles is easy to sort out  - feel free to pm me if you need a contact. 

Caroline

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#3 04-02-12 06:42:09

ChrisLGV

Thanks for your reply Caroline, very helpfull. I will look into everything you have advised and if i have any other questions i will be in touch.

Chris

#4 04-02-12 11:09:16

(ROG)
Verified Member

It is not a requirement to be DSA registered instructor so that is a personal choice

Most who start off tend to go for a rigid with a drawbar trailer for the CE - it is cheaper to do that way for you

I would suggest that you present this same question in the newbies forum on this site - http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/index.php - as there are loads of LGV training school owners on there - some have set up within the last two years

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

Board footer