You are not logged in.

#1 07-12-10 21:25:17

Nick6

Part 3 pass! 1st attempt! Delighted!

Hey all! Altho ive not posted much ive used this site for help throughtout my training and found some things very useful! I had my 1st attempt at part 3 at the end of last month and came away with a pair of 6s! Im sure ill continue to use this site for help as i get into teaching real pupils! smile Thanks, Nick

07-12-10 21:25:17

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Part 3 pass! 1st attempt! Delighted!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 08-12-10 12:00:46

ADI Education
Verified Member
Website

Congratulations that's a great achievement, and I can assure you that the 6's are quite a rare occurance

I am a former Police Driving Instructor and Ex DSA ADI examiner. My qualifications include: BTEC Level 4 Police Driving Skills, BTEC Level 3 in Teaching Advanced driving, NVQ A1 Assessors awrard, DIAmond advanced test, RoSPA gold, Cardington A. I am a grade 6 DSA Instructor, fleet trained and a Class 1 Police Driver. www.janeclarkedrivinginstructortraining.co.uk

#3 08-12-10 16:41:27

Nick6

Thanks alot! I kno, my instructor has told me 6s are hard to come by nevermind 2! But i was goin in looking to just pass! The result was just a bonus!

I had PST4 which i was delighted with! Had the right reverse and id done that pretty well with my instructor a few weeks earlier! I felt quite confident with my junction work too so phase 2 went quite well!

Theres alot of useful thing on this site that i took onboard! Even just reading through other peoples experience on test helped a great deal! But i had a top drawer instructor and was glad i never went down the route of the big companies!

#4 09-12-10 02:57:18

Adi1234

Well done a great Result there. Have You got an tips for other people preparing for the part three test?

#5 31-12-10 12:07:43

rubberduck
Verified Member

Hi, i have just started my part 3 and would be grateful for any tips. A write up would be appreciated.

"it's better to burn out than to fade away,"

#6 31-12-10 12:16:15

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Great result - I guess now the secret is to make sure you enjoy the job more than you dislike the accompanying hassle.;-)

Hilary.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#7 31-12-10 17:38:39

absadi
Verified Member
Website

Well done, Excellent result!

#8 31-12-10 18:18:26

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

Amazing result!
smile

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

#9 03-02-11 00:02:37

gadgetdriver
Website

Wow. Amazing result. Well done!

ADI since 2004.
Producer of animated and printed briefing materials.
www.drivertrainingacademy.com

#10 03-02-11 18:10:27

VandADI
Administrator

Hi Nick and well done on your pass.
With such an outstanding result, I am sure it would benefit our members if you could do a write up in http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 303.0.html

All the best.

#11 06-02-11 21:39:08

Nick6

Hey guys! Thanks for the comments! I have been meaning to do a write up! I will get round to it asap! Thanks, Nick

#12 06-02-11 23:05:29

Nick6

I guess theres no time like the present!

This was my first attempt at part 3 but having read alot on here and the great advice from my instructor i felt quite confident that i knew what i was gonna be faced with on test!

I dont kno about the other instructors on here, if this happened to you or not, but nearing the end of my part 3 training, a couple weeks before my test, I had the almighty coin dropping moment where i felt.....I GET IT NOW!!!

Up untill then id worked so hard to know everything i could and working on keeping my briefs to the point and not rambling too much! I spent all this time, delivering pretty good briefs but when the car started moving and my instructor started throwing in all the faults i would be all over the place! I'd identify the faults pretty well and mention them but i wouldnt really be fixing them! It wasnt until my coin dropping moment that i realised to fix the problems i had to stop tellin him he was doing it wrong and change it to gettin him to realise WHY it was wrong and get his agreeance on WHY our way was more effective and safer!

The moment was approaching a junction to turn left the instructor swung out to the right before entering the road on the left! Id spotted it and told him not to do it......but thats no use at all! My instructor said to fix it he needed to kno WHY it was wrong him doing that, the dangers of it and WHY he shouldnt do it, then explain to him to hold his position, gettin in gear in good time and look for turning points etc etc

This is probably obvious to everybody on here but for me it was the moment i felt it all started making sense as i had been toddling along through my lessons trying hard but feeling i was still a million miles from getting it! The nonsense that can come out your mouth sitting in the passenger seat when your learning to do this is scary smile

Anyway, the test!

Id got the 'gid breeks' ironed and the shirt and tie on so i was looking the part! On my half an hour drive to the test centre my wee mirror that had been stuck up there for weeks dropped to the floor! It wasnt helping the nerves any but i pulled in and stuck it back up and thankfully it held and is still there yet! Its like it knew! I got to the centre in good time! It was a great day! Snow was forecast but the sun was shining! smile Luckily i had borrowed sun glasses from my friend to help with a low sun! Id also taken a wee bottle of water to help the dry mouth and a packet of fruit gums just because i like fruit gums! smile

PST 4 - When the examiner told me i had PST 4 and it was the right reverse i couldnt believe my luck! I didnt mind which PST i got but everybody has one that they secretly want and this was it! I had done this a few weeks earlier with my instructor and felt i could take ahold of it! id read in the handbook about the recap and clearly stating you objectives and how important they were! I knew i couldnt really fail it on the recap but i made sure i gave a good recap with all the relevant points and made sure he knew exactly what i was looking to do! Id made sure he was comfortable, asked him questions while he set up his mirrors about what he was doing and asking him the magic WHY question! For example, Why do you check over your right shoulder before you move! He of course gave me the right answer as this was nothin to do with my PST but you get the point! As we approached a situation i would ask him to tell me what he could see and ask him how he was going to deal with it! I was linking things like his steering and his clutch control to what we would be doing later!

We got to the corner for my reverse and i gave a brief about what we'd be doing! I told him about his right turn position and told him to use the kerb instead of the white lines to park up for the start of the mnvr! I then realised id forgot to tell him how to use the kerb and white lines out the back window as a reference point in keepin the car straight while reversing back in the brief! So i quickly explained it there and got his agreeance on it! To start with in the mnvr his obs were shocking and speed was too fast but i kept at the - why are we looking all around, what are we looking for, whats the dangers of being of this reverse, what would we do if a car/pedes came, why are we keeping the car slow etc etc! Any time he gave me a wrong answer id quickly explain and get his agreeance that he understood! As i was guiding him round the corner disaster struck! His back wheels hit the kerb! I moved him forward slightly then got him round the corner! He stopped after 2 or 3 car lengths but i had to bring back the point of the 7 car lengths id said in the brief! Again it was all about the why we do that, where should we be looking etc! As we finished it i told him our turning point had just been slightly early and thats why the back wheels hit the kerb! We done another attempt and delayed our turning point and we sailed round the corner great! I was quite lucky with the corner also as we were reversing down hill so there wasnt much messing about with the bite as i got him to dip his clutch and use the break to keep us slow ( but i also explained if it was flat we would need to use clutch and gas) His steering was a bit iffy also but i kept at it! before i knew it the half hour was up and i was taking a well needed drink and a fruit gum! I thought since id hit the kerb it had went really bad but i kept at it which was important!

Ive been writing for a while, i feel like ive rambled alot but hopefully itll help somebody, ill put up about phase 2 tomorrow!

#13 18-07-11 16:17:46

Nick6

I have never got around to typing up phase 2! I havent been on as much as i used to! Did anybody find the first part helpful or was i just rambling on alot?!  big_smile

#14 18-07-11 19:05:30

Barry500
Website

Fantastic result, I hope I get a pass tomorrow it is my first attempt.

#15 18-07-11 19:16:17

Sammypdi1
Website

Good luck barry500 for tomorrow hope it goes well for you be sure to post your result im sure you will pass given the fact you were a grade 6 before.

Passed part 1 second attempt 97/100 58
Passed part 2 first attempt 5 minors
passed part 3 first attempt

#16 18-07-11 19:21:12

Barry500
Website

Thanks very much still don't the nerves before starting, once I have started it all flows.

#17 18-07-11 20:31:57

Nick6

Yeah good luck for tomorrow Barry! Keep us posted!

#18 19-07-11 14:00:05

Barry500
Website

Hey everyone I did Pass today, I have been told since this morning I had 'Mr Nasty' by a friend but a pass is a pass and I a pleased, it was not a 6 but I can try again on my check test.

It has been 8 years since I had formal training to become an ADI and thought I would give it my first shot just reading up on what I knew and going out a couple of times on my own, it worked.

I had PST 8 part one was ok too wide for T junctions and then too close to kerb ect,
part two was meet antic, etc and assess this guy that had been driving for 40 years quite hard really as I have never had that as a previous ADI but a pass is a pass.

THIS site did help and I would like to thank all that made posts in the last couple of months even if I did not put any posts or comments on your thoughts I did read them and too the infomation on board.

Thanks again all.

#19 19-07-11 16:50:18

Sammypdi1
Website

well done barry what was your grades im so jealous lol also my wife passed her part 1 today so were celebrating as well im so scared about siting part 3 but i start my training on friday so hopefully once i get into the core comps etc it will be more clear. any tips on how you know when you are ready for the test?

Sammy

#20 19-07-11 17:25:29

Barry500
Website

I only got a 4 Love to say it was higher but I can't wait for the check test to improve it.

#21 19-07-11 17:49:08

Sammypdi1
Website

Well considering you never took any training for the test its a great result so enjoy mate

#22 27-08-11 19:11:14

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Well done you! smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#23 27-08-11 20:07:13

martin Williams
Verified Member

Best of luck Barry. Well done

#24 24-01-12 13:56:37

Mark24
Website

Well Done !   Excellent result

Regards
mark

#25 24-01-12 15:05:30

fishie
Banned
Website

Mark you might find that post is over a year old if you re-read it

www.fishersdrivingschool.co.uk
Remember only dead fish's go with the flow
Grade 6 by fluke this and last time
Some cardigan in the wardrobe non ordit

Board footer