You are not logged in.

#1 15-05-05 19:04:28

Delta
Verified Member

Meeting / overtaking / clearance PST

Hi all

I've been given conflicting information about the 'Meet, Cross, Overtake, Allow Adequare Clearance' PST.

I realise that 2 of these subjects will be chosen, but first of all I was told that I should prepare short briefings for each of them seperately, then do whichever 2 I've been given one by one.

I was then told to do just one briefing but mixing the two up, ie teach how to overtake whilst mentioning how much clearance to leave etc etc.

I've also been told that the meeting / overtaking combination won't be given on the part 3 because they are both big subjects, however crossing and clearance, the two smaller subjects may be given together.

Can anyone shed any light on this - I'm a bit worried about this particular PST now

Cheers

Delta

15-05-05 19:04:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Meeting / overtaking / clearance PST

#2 15-05-05 19:21:31

lewis12

Hi there.
I had PST 10 for my part 3, and was given overtake and adequate clearance. Plus you will always be given anticipation.

The way I dealt with it was to talk about anticipation, give examples then link it to overtaking. It is easy then to link adequate clearance to overtaking as you can brief on seperation distances, finishing off with shaving other vehicles.

Don't assume you wont get a particular combination on test. I was told that they never test on overtake and adequate clearance in my area, guess what I was given! :?

Don't fret too much over the briefings, they are not the most important part of the test. How you deliver your knowledge, and how you deal with the core competencies are. I made my briefing up on the spot (seriously) as I wasn't prepared for the combination, and I still got a 5/6. proof indead that the PST briefs are only a small part of the exam.

As long as you understand the routines in place for the manoeuvres and you can articulate then you will be fine.

Hope to have been of some help. Although i'm sure other more experienced members will have some excellent advice for you. smile

Remember, you are unique. Just like everyone else.

#3 15-05-05 19:27:02

Drewer
Verified Member

Hi Delta,
I got PST2 on my first try at my part 3. Looking at my marking sheet i was marked on the following,
MSM, Meet approaching traffic, Cross approaching traffic.
anticipation of pedestrians, Anticipation of cyclists and Anticipation of drivers. So it came as Meet & Cross with anticipation.
hope this helps didnt help me mutch got a 2/2 :cry:

Drewer

#4 15-05-05 19:40:31

luchell

im sure someone can shed light on what i was told. but what you say you were marked on on the left of the mark sheet is what they can throw faults in on that particular pst (others put in that are general are not specified) these subjects say not covered  etc if not covered was ticked this doesnt mean you didnt put it in your briefing it means that they put a fault in on it and you didnt cover that fault. we were told it is a common misconception that the subjects on your left of the sheet were what you had to put in your briefings but as ive said above they are not. they are just for the examiner to tick what was not covered and what was adequately covered. hope this makes some sense?
someone in our group wanted to know if he could take a copy of the mark sheets to his part three to make sure he covered what was listed to which he was told the above and that it was not a good idea.

we were also told not to assume anything on those psts would not be requested to be taught no matter how big a subject they might be.

#5 15-05-05 19:42:37

Delta
Verified Member

Thanks, I have heard that the briefing isn't as important as the core competencies - just hope I can pull it off on the day though.

#6 15-05-05 19:50:09

luchell

whens your test delta? my part three isnt until august the 18th but im just about to start on a pink next monday so im in no rush. i want the experience first lol
good luck with it.

#7 15-05-05 19:56:48

Delta
Verified Member

Test is June 23rd, been on a pink licence for 6 weeks now.

Good luck with your pink licence - it really is the best way to get experience and to sharpen those core competencies.

#8 15-05-05 20:00:35

lewis12

When you sign the declaration at the TC (to say the car is insured) you can see what test you are going to get anyway. This gives you a few extra minutes to think of how you are going to tackle the test.

Not much help for meet/cross etc. He will however, on the way to the car tell you what the topic is and allow you a couple of minutes to prepare your notes, presenter etc.

On the left hand side of the test sheet its written as incorrect/not covered, unsatisfactory,satisfactory. It doesnt matter how much detail you go into as you'll only get satisfactory. The examiner only wants enough to let him know what is expected of him (to perform the task correctly and safetly) not a feature presentation.

Another important point is to not limit yourself to just the PST. At the begining the SE may say to correct any other driving faults that may occur. These, although not marked on the PST sheet are just as important, as it shows flexibility and awareness.

Hope it helps some, and the best of luck big_smile

Remember, you are unique. Just like everyone else.

#9 16-05-05 07:58:17

ck
Website

Hi Delta,
Whether you give seperate briefings or one brief to cover all is upto you so long as the pup can understand what you are are telling them and what is expected that is all that really matters,I tend to give a seperate brief for each subject, I got pst10 and did this and got 2 5s but as has already been said don't worry too much as its the core comps that are the most important part of the test.
Good luck with the test

ck

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#10 16-05-05 09:24:46

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Hi,
I'm taking my part 3 in Southampton on August 16th and will be starting my "real" training this week doing 5 hours worth on Thursday is that too much in one day? but hope to find out about the meet.cross etc on the course. I have not considered a pink as I have read mixed views on the subject. Will keep my eyes on this thread for updates.
All the best

Si

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

#11 16-05-05 09:30:06

luchell

hi sibeks thought id say ive got mine 18th august at southampton lol  so hopefully it'll be a good week for us. i debated a pinkie due to the whole working for not a lot and the company were pressuring people to use them. however after much soul searching i want to do it for me. i dont see how im going to feel confident on the day if i havent had the real experience to compare things to. but thats how i learn best to do things. i dont blame you though as i say i really did have to think seriously about it. the company is now really good no pressure etc i just got the feeling it was accepted that all trainees would take one out and you were kinda looked at in class if you werent.

#12 16-05-05 15:43:27

sibeks
Verified Member
Website

Luchell,

My views on the pink was

Disadvantages-
The cost of it,
Introducing possible bad habbits and getting stuck in your ways
Earning so little and not having control of how much teaching you do
Feeling for the learner being trained up by a trainer

Advantages-
Gaining exper with pupils
Gaining confidence on how to deal with pupils

I think that's them unless one can intro more to my list!

Si

Part 1 Passed Nov 8th 04 - 1st Time
Part 2 Passed Apr 20th 05 - 2nd Time
Part 3 Passed Mar 23rd 06 - 2nd Time

http://www.rimmersdrivingschool.com

#13 16-05-05 19:45:16

luchell

i agree with all in your list. it seems so wrong they charge the poor pups full price!
but im hoping ill be a better instructor eventually because of the experience. i dont think i could sit a part three without having done the real thing. but like i said thats just what i need.

im really looking forward to monday though. i pick up my car thursday i cant wait. got my colourfile today and other stuff ive ordered to give the best i can. mock theory papers show me tell me papers logs for telephone numbers got a mgboard ages ago, little toy cars dry wipe pens lol. if its there i just have to have it. i love shiny new things lol

#14 17-05-05 09:09:23

Julia

I agree with you on this one Sibeks, the con's just outway the pro's so I have to decided to stay away from a pink although it is very hard as I am desperate to get on with the job. It bothers me that I could end up concentrating too much on my learners instead of the test and I do think the test is more important as you can't go any further without it. I realise that the experience is needed and so thats why I've started taking out a friend who was desperate for lessons 2hours a week and already can see the difference, but I don't think it's everything. I am still doing my training as much as possible to make sure I stick to the test route and not get distracted. People on a pink I think don't get much time to concentrate on the test as they are too busy making sure they are earning enough money to pay for the car and insurance although it's not so bad if you are doing it part time.

Regards Julia.

#15 02-06-05 00:22:52

luchell

thought id update this thread as ive been on a pink for a couple of weeks now. i have found i decide which hours i want. ive been phoned to ask, told them when i wanteed to work and how much. i do 36 hours a week and opened my diary to 38 in case of cancellations. my learners are fine with being taught by a trainee as they come away still having learnt good stuff lol

i agree i could get into bad habits but i can only say on this one ive got this forum for help which is an advantage all of us have on here for our part three test. everytime i have been in doubt about a particular thing ive done or taught and what to include etc i have found severtal incredibly useful people who have answered my questions.

as for money. i pay a huge lump sum every wek to bsm of 311 for the fixed franchise. ive been filled with the hours i want in just one week virtually. i will earn about 788 per week so after fees is 477. i put 18 pounds for every 100 into savings for my tax i'll owe and am still left with a really nice sum. its not about the money but blimey it does help pay the mortgage. im on more than i was as a nurse. i am depending on getting enough hours but no probs so far and there's plenty of pups calling in we've got a waiting list!! lol

so now i definately think the glass is half full. im working hard on my psts im focusing on one a week and doing some mini lessons in which i do the half hour required on say emergency stop linked with mirrors to practise them,. once im green i wont think about stringing them together like that but i need to know them inside out.

i dont see how i would feel confident for my part three given everything ive already leart in this small time. im going to feel just fine for the part three as long as i carry on the way im going. i already feel its not so much of a threat. i intend to feel happy that i dont care which pst i get as i will have practised them all so much.

thought id post my experiences to help those playing with the idea of a pink are not sure. but im totally loving it and very very happy. again this has to do with the passion i have for the job not the wage packet although it is a grezat wage currently. im aware the pay will not last if i dont use this as a training tool. good luck guys. have you had any thoughts in between replys to this?

#16 02-06-05 00:31:39

luchell

i meant to say i dont know how i would have felt confident for part three without the three months experience im getting on the pink before my first attempt.

i have learnt so much from my first 26 hours and have realised some things are going to take more mastery than others. i thought duals would be simpler. they're not hard but knowing exactly when to use them ive found aim a little off on my timing! this will only get better. each lesson ive evaluated what i may have not put in i should have and the next lesson i make sure i do so i develop every lesson which is great. these things are already getting etched into my brain lol

i havent forgotten any key things that need to be mentioned just some things that could have been mentioned. i have realised some things i thought would be more complicated to teach actually arent. i dont find the teaching a problem or doing the core competencies of fault analysis, im picking up on the majority of them immediately which is fab.  i feel i have tons to learn and much to gain. i dont know how i would have got the above knowledge so stuck in my brain without the pink. it can surely only help with confidence?

even on a green if you just this second passed and its your first week never having seen a real pup before achieved it(hats off to you those that did) without the pink, being taught by those guys is the same as being taught by people training for 4 months sort of. i know the part three is the missing factor which is huge but its a sort of comparison. not a very good one i admit but hey its early in the morning!

#17 02-06-05 01:14:56

dashdriving.com
Website

Delta,

The answers to your original pst question given by Lewis, above, are absolutely spot on, especially the relative unimportance of the breifing.

So many pdi's fret needlessly about the part 3 breifings, yet the reality is that the SE is fairly unconcerned about this aspect of part 3. Get the car moving and the SE comes alive!

For this pst, deal with whichever two subjects you've been given by the SE ADI, but ensure you that find any opportunity to establish links between the two. Likning topics is a great way for people to learn and it allows you to teach from the known to the unknown.

By the way, meeting and overtaking crops up a lot! Beware the advice you've been given.

Good luck

Dave Hartley
ADI Trainer for Dash driving

www.dashdriving.com

you never do anything wrong,
you just find new ways of not doing it right.

Board footer