You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 05-01-12 17:52:48

la.monikita
Verified Member

Do you know what Dakar Rally is?

I find it quite astonishing that not many people in the UK know what Dakar Rally is.  Can someone shed some light why that is?

Follow Toby Younger http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2012/us/stag … nalin.html

then read the last one about the following the one from Argentina gets. 

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

05-01-12 17:52:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Do you know what Dakar Rally is?

#2 05-01-12 18:04:52

CantThinkofaName
Verified Member

I have certainly heard of it but I suppose it is not on most peoples radar. I knew of it even before Mark Thatcher got lost during it  smile

DKL Driving School Belfast www.drivinglessonsbelfast.co.uk

#3 06-01-12 09:03:44

Promanade

I know waht you mean! I find it quite astonishing that not many people in the UK know what the bog snorkel challenge is.

#4 06-01-12 14:42:59

Daveyboy
Verified Member

Yes know about the Dakar Rally, I watch some of it on Sky/Eurosport.

The longest rally is the London to Sydney.

I was involved with the London to Sydney rally.

In 1976 whilst serving in the Army we were tasked with checking the route for the 1977 rally.

I spent just over one month driving from Covent Garden to the finish at a Opera House Sydney.

The Army set up service and refueling stops. When I say we, there were in fact twelve of us that travelled the whole way in Land Rovers.

I did go to Milan the following year to see the rally.

I believe a British driver came first but in a German car, I think a Merc..

Daveyboy

#5 06-01-12 17:50:08

Promanade

Well done daveyboy smile so what about the bog snorkel challenge!! have we all heard of it?

#6 06-01-12 22:29:11

MAZ
Verified Member

I remember it being called the “Paris to Dakar Rally” back in the day, I also remember a trip to the 2002 Birmingham motor show, the most expensive vehicle on show was not a Rolls Royce or Bentley, not a Ferrari or an Aston Martin, but a 4X4 vehicle prepared for this rally.

This sort of thing removes these types of competitions too far from the common man, also the fact that it is “not here”, all go to make this activity slightly less popular than the World Conker Playing Championships.

Maz.

#7 06-01-12 22:42:49

hoylake
Verified Member
Website

Always been aware of it, remember Charlie Boremann doing it on the TV. Don't know why is not well known here. 

http://www.sophiesdrivinglancaster.co.uk
Adi & Fleet Trainer, RoSPA Gold

#8 07-01-12 00:29:42

la.monikita
Verified Member

The world is watching the Dakar in January but the UK. It's no longer Paris-Dakar. It's just the Dakar. It's moved from Africa to South Am because of security issues. The British team went for scrutineering and all their kit got nicked...It was sad but predictable as in places like that you have to watch your back.

Instead of going to war people should be sent to do the Dakar.  Toby in this pick reminds me of WW1 soldiers.

Abraham Maslow

#9 07-01-12 00:33:43

la.monikita
Verified Member

Not sure why the picture does  not attach. neutral

Abraham Maslow

Board footer