You are not logged in.

#1 21-12-11 21:02:09

Promanade

Advice Please

Advise please!! Before becoming a driving instructor I drove heavy goods class 1 for 10 years. When I reached the age of 45 I needed a medical to keep my class one licence, at this time I had already become an ADI so thought I would let my class 1 entitlement lapse.
Just recently like many no doubt, finding learners to give me the hours I need to sustain a decent life are hard to find at the moment! :cry: though I am sure it will pick up during this next year. As a result I have been occasionally seeking other avenues of income thankfully I am not too desperate just yet and I will NOT be little myself and charge ridiculously low prices just to keep me on the road I value my skills much higher than that.

Following some advise last evening today I made a call to DVLA explaining my background and to my complete surprise DVLA informed that I can regain my class 1 entitlement without any tests all i need to do is gain a full medical from my doctor, get the relevant forms signed by him and send to DVLA for them to give me back my class 1 entitlement. That’s the background now for the advise please.

It is 18 years since I drove my beloved articulated scania 360 around the UK and Europe, have these vehicles changed and to what extent? Would I be beneficial booking a course of refresher lessons (I feel I should) if so how many would you advise? My intention is to do 2/3 days part time for agency’s would they entertain me? Any advice would be most welcome. Hopefully if the economic climate improves and learners begin to book lessons come the New Year it will not need to come to this.

21-12-11 21:02:09

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Advice Please

#2 21-12-11 21:18:57

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Hi

The driving agency's will take you on regardless of you getting some refresher training or not.

If you feel you need the training, as you said you do, then the refresher lessens will help, even if it's just a confidence booster.  As for how many, be guided by your trainer.

My real question to you is this: with 18 years experience in UK and Europe, why are you not teaching HGV?

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#3 21-12-11 22:21:46

Promanade

Hi Phil thanks for the reply, are the agencys really that desperate??

In answer to your question, it was my intention to become involved in HGV training. When i became an ADI at the time i trained with BSM who told me that they are into HGV training, i was hoodwinked and nothing came of it. As became mroe confident with my instructing i realised that i was not missing the HGVs and the 15 hour days :x at all and decided i had had enough of the haulage game even though i do occasionaly look at some of the trucks in this and age in envy big_smile

#4 21-12-11 22:32:39

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

driving agency's will take on just about anyone, regardless of experience - I've worked for driving agency's, and I've worked as a transport manager so I've seen some of the sort of people who the agency's send to customers LOL

People who do HGV training don't do 15 hour days. it's *generally* 8-4 or 9-5. plus no handballing/loading/unloading, it's a lot easier than driving and delivering.  I would suggest your 18 years experience would be of great benefit to your trainees, not just with driving but also the in's and out's of the job.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 21-12-11 22:47:26

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

Hi Prom

Although you only need to sit a medical to have your entitlement reinstated for now, if you decide to run with part time agency for longer than September 2014, you will also have to cover 35 hours of Driver CPC.

So if you want to make a quick buck without paying out approx.  £70 for a 7 hour course x 5, then get in there soon

AL

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#6 21-12-11 23:10:30

Stephen7738

Promenade,
I am a bit like you in the sense I have/was out of Transport for around 15 years LGV1 during this time,I did not lapse my licence I just kept renewing it over the years.

When I cam back into it just over 12 months ago,what changes I had seen most where in how the vehicle's had progressed especially the gearboxes,auto,semi auto etc,that was the hardest part for me,the unknown.
Now,I knew someone in the driver training industry and I got a free full one day drive in a 3x3 Artic with 40ft trailer and a driving assessor to go with it,and it didn't take long before I was back in the swing of things.

I went back to the depot and went through some of the gearboxes,if you are anything like me and I am sure you are,you will only need at the most half a day to get you used to the size of it,and regain your confidence,once you have done that you will be able to go into any Agency and be able to pass any assessment that they send you on.

Mind you a lot of Agency's want you to have driven a minimum of X hours over the past 12 to 18 months,this is what I found would have been the hardest to try and prove,if I was to sign up with an Agency.

My brother passed his what was then PCV licence over 20 years ago and never,claimed his entitlement then suddenly he found he needed it,so he too contacted DVLA and they just needed him to show he was medicaly fit and they gave him his entitlement no problem,after all whats the difference between passing and getting your entitlement and never driving,and passing and never claiming your entitlement along with never driving.

As someone said to me it's like riding a bike once you learn you never forget you just get a little rusty,so,they say,whatever you do the best of luck.
Stephen

#7 21-12-11 23:29:25

Promanade

Really apprecieate all the replys brilliant keep the advise coming i am begining to get the bug again big_smile

Re the CPC the lady at DVLA did mention this but i was to surprised at the thought of getting my licence back that i did not listen to her, could you give any more info on CPC please what does/will it entail?

#8 21-12-11 23:44:35

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

The Driver CPC is still a bit of a joke, and the fact you can do the same module 5 times makes it worse, I have heard that some EU countries are looking to drop it already. but for now Prom, you will need to do 35 hours before Sept 2014.
more info in link below
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … /DG_171186

As far as picking up the skills again, thats pretty simple, I've been HGV for over 25 years, was off sick for almost 6 months one time a few years back, and really felt strange stepping back into the cab on my 1st day back, but felt at ease before I even got out the yard, so you should(as said above) pick it up reasonably quickly.

AL

Driver CPC Trainer

#9 22-12-11 00:11:57

Promanade

Thanks for the link EKAL smile will have a good browse tomorow.

#10 22-12-11 10:05:27

(ROG)
Verified Member

Regarding the dcpc and all truck stuff may I suggest - http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/index.php

That site will give you the facts about agencies and the dcpc

May I suggest a half day - no more - CE refresher with a training school - make sure they do real life reversing and not by using cones

IAM Observer
Leicester group of advanced motorists
LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008

#11 22-12-11 11:14:05

Promanade

Thinking of doing a 4 hour initial refresher course with a company in Bolton towards the end of January,£45 per hour! is this price the norm for what i want?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 23-12-11 11:46:41

(ROG)
Verified Member

Thinking of doing a 4 hour initial refresher course with a company in Bolton towards the end of January,£45 per hour! is this price the norm for what i want?

VERY GOOD - most are around £65 an hour

IAM Observer

#13 24-12-11 10:44:06

Promanade

Sounds like my £45 is a good deal big_smile

Just had a couple of forms delivered from DVLA, one of them is D777B form (Digital Tachograpth Card) application. When i first ventured into lorry driving Log books were just coming to an end, are the old stlye tachographs now finished? big_smile big_smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#14 24-12-11 14:32:17

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

When i first ventured into lorry driving Log books were just coming to an end, are the old stlye tachographs now finished? big_smile big_smile

I too remember log books, sitting at the end of the day, sometimes end of the week making up what you done during the week wink.

Old style (analogue) are still widely used, all new Lorries though will come with Digital, some older ones are being retro-fitted, but there are plenty analogues kicking about. It’s a pain in the **** switching between and holding records, but with time it will all be digital.

Driver CPC Trainer

#15 24-12-11 15:51:53

(ROG)
Verified Member

You will find certain weird things with digi tachos

Many reset driving time after 3 x 15 mins and/or periods of POA !!! - that means you have to keep your own mental record of what breaks you have taken during the day in regards to driving time

Some will record a full minute of driving time if a few seconds were done within a full minute but others will record the mode in which the majority of time was taken under a particular mode during a full minute

Have fun!!

IAM Observer

#16 24-12-11 19:33:21

Promanade

Thanks people for all your advice. Think i am clear now on what i need to do, will update in new year when i know where i am at.

Thanks again and all the best for the new year big_smile

Prom

#17 25-12-11 00:11:19

chevronjohn
Verified Member

Promanade wrote:

VERY GOOD - most are around £65 an hour

£45 is about the average - £65 is excessive Rog

DSA ADI ,DSA LGV Instructor, PCV Instructor, IAM, always willing to learn  smile
www.chevrontraining.co.uk
DSA Customer Test site

#18 06-01-12 03:52:34

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

in this current age, and working within EU rules, not many drivers I know take 3 x 15, thats just silly.

As ROG states it will reset driving time on ALL the 3 types I have seen.

1 of the simplest ideas to use for WDT and Drivers hours (if able), and 99% of my boys use this. BUT!!!!!! we are usually local to depot between 20 miles to 180miles away

06.00 start
09.00 = 15min break
12.15 = 30min break - WTD & Driving covered
16.45 - max finish for 4.30 driving finish

you could however have a 45min break at 12.00 which would then take you to 17.15

very simplistic way to cover all, but there are many permatations out there to confuse matters

AL

Driver CPC Trainer

#19 06-01-12 08:30:38

(ROG)
Verified Member

RTWTD

5+ years we have had this and no authority checks on it

VOSA are tasked with the enforcement of the RTWTD but have no sanctions in their list for breaches of it

IAM Observer

#20 08-01-12 19:44:27

Promanade

when i was driving the wagons the tachograph rules and their hours would normally allow me to work on a 2 week or 90 hours basis, its settings were sleep, drive, work and break and i could do upto 55 hours in one week providing the following week i only did a maximun of 35 hours has this changed any?

#21 08-01-12 20:08:34

daz6215
Verified Member

#22 09-01-12 15:40:07

(ROG)
Verified Member

when i was driving the wagons the tachograph rules and their hours would normally allow me to work on a 2 week or 90 hours basis, its settings were sleep, drive, work and break and i could do upto 55 hours in one week providing the following week i only did a maximun of 35 hours has this changed any?

The DRIVING time is still 90 hours per any two consecutive weeks with a maximum of 56 in any one week

WORK is driving time and other work added together - it does not include breaks or POA and is not the same as shift time

Start 6am
other work 30 mins
drive 3 hours
other work 30 mins
15 min break
drive 1 hour
other work 30 mins
break 30 mins
drive 3 hours
other work 15 mins
finish 330pm
SHIFT = 9 hours 30 mins