You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 05-08-11 07:45:26

robcooling
Verified Member
Website

My check test write up.

Did my 3rd check test yesterday morning with Catherine Wilson at Chalfont Drive in Nottingham and got a 5, I am over the moon following my previous grade 4's. It's great to know I'm improving!

Chose role play with a disqualified driver, did no specific preparation although I have 2 disqualified drivers I'm currently teaching so that was my preparation.

Wasn't too nervous, more weirdly excited! Catherine (SE) was brilliant, I like roleplay as I can look the examiner in the eye. Started with a recap picking at pupils prior experience, set my objective, did a 10 minute assessment run (during which had a casual chit chat), 10 minute evaluation, then 30ish minutes of remedial work finishing with one quick turn in the road to overview the pupils maneuvering. I tried to give a handout on IAM/RoSPA as part of motivating the pupil towards continuing their driver education but she blatantly refused to take them (playing the role of a pupil who had no interest whatsoever in that!).

Main faults were :
Following distance (it was raining too)
Stopping too close to vehicle ahead
Weak mirrors and blindspots
Speeding (slightly)
Pulling halfway out of T-junctions then stopping in middle of road
Speed inappropriate for gaps

Got a 6 for identification, 5 for analysis, 5 for remedial.

Catherine's debrief was very useful, here's a bit of a summary :

She described it as a 'high 5' and her only criticism was I pitched the level of instruction a bit wrong. I tried to analyse/remedy EVERYTHING (ie: not using parking brake, arms crossing steering, not using 10-2, cut a cycle lane slightly). This was too much and would make an experienced driver demoralised, I should mention these elements of the drive briefly, then shelf them for a later time. Analyse/Remedy the main SAFETY faults (following distance etc...) but don't overwhelm them with picky little details. I was being too picky.

As a consequence I spent too long waffling at the side of the road and had to cut my route short as we had less time to drive (I wanted to use a dual carriageway but had to cut that out as I ran out of time).

Oh, and my questions were too intrusive and personal (ie: why were you disqualified?) as someone who may have been disqualified for death by dangerous driving is not going to want to talk about it.

She particularly praised my identification so I was chuffed to bits. I got some great advice off this forum, especially from reading previous check test write ups.

I'm so happy, especially as I can see it won't take much work to turn this 5 into a legendary 6... maybe next time!  big_smile big_smile

Rob

http://www.appledriving.co.uk - Driving Lessons in Nottingham

05-08-11 07:45:26

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: My check test write up.

#2 05-08-11 08:05:49

Freedom Phil
Verified Member
Website

Well done Rob   8-)

.phil.
:angel:

DIA diploma in driving instruction.  DSA registered fleet trainer.  ORDIT registered trainer part's 1, 2, 3 & ORDIT premises inspected.  SAFED trainer and assessor.  RoSPA approved tutor.  Diamond registered advanced instructor.  Diamond qualified advanced examiner. City & Guilds 7303 PTLLS teaching certificate.  IAM advanced test, Diamond advanced test, Diamond special test, Cardington special test, RoSPA gold

#3 05-08-11 09:08:19

Barry500
Website

Well done rob and thank you for your write up these help others.

wink

#4 05-08-11 09:42:58

on board training

Hi Rob,

Well done.

I can't help but think many instructors do what you do - that is take no training leading up to a check test - just think if you had you may have got that 6 this time and learned a good bit too.

Yet we all say a learner shouldn't go for a test without training?

Cheers, Brian

#5 06-08-11 22:30:16

looprevil
Verified Member

Congrats.  smile

regards

Paddy

smile  big_smile  lol  cool

#6 08-08-11 11:57:31

bannerman

Well Done

#7 17-08-11 17:34:51

Jedi

Congrats mate

#8 17-08-11 17:57:54

G
Verified Member
Website

Nice one Rob Grade 6 next time smile

www.drivinglessonsedenbridge.co.uk
Grade 6 ADI
ORDIT registered Instructor Trainer

#9 08-10-11 15:40:32

Beehappydriving

Well Done !
I found this very helpful got my check test in a few weeks, so thanks for the tips.

#10 08-10-11 16:34:52

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Well Rob, you got the 6 for ID and I got the 6 for analysis. Perhaps we should just have 2 instructors in the car and we'd make a great team - that would make a change form the usual conversations about more than one pupil in the car ;-)

Well done

Hilary

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 08-10-11 16:46:57

on board training

Well Rob, you got the 6 for ID and I got the 6 for analysis. Perhaps we should just have 2 instructors in the car and we'd make a great team - that would make a change form the usual conversations about more than one pupil in the car ;-)
Well done , Hilary

Hi Hilary,

Guess what- it works a treat too with the right mix in the car. Better still 2 ADIs and 2 students.

Cheers, Brian

#12 08-10-11 17:50:40

Hilary Hughes
Verified Member
Website

Would they allow both instructors in on the test, I wonder? smile

Hilary

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hilary.hughes/

Preview/Purchase e - book here
http://hilaryhughes341.googlepages.com/home

http://hilaryhughes.com/

#13 09-10-11 19:22:32

c-way
Verified Member
Website

Great result Rob, nice write up smile

ADI, IAM, B+E Training, CAT C & C+E Training www.c-way.co.uk

#14 28-10-11 21:22:41

Barry500
Website

Well done I had a check test last week and took a pupil for the first time and got a grade 6.
I did TIR AND MIRRORS.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 30-10-11 10:21:01

VandADI
Administrator

Well done I had a check test last week and took a pupil for the first time and got a grade 6.
I did TIR AND MIRRORS.

Congratulations on your great result.
Perhaps you would be kind enough to do a write up of how you achieved your straight 6's, I am sure it would benefit others to hear that it is possible to get such a fantastic result on a first check test? (Even though, strictly speaking, it wasn't your first check test)  Thanking you kindly.  smile

#16 19-11-11 23:36:45

Barry500
Website

I received my check test request and decided to go for the pupil route.

I was not sure at first who would be available for a lesson (Check test) at 08.35 on a Thursday morning, so I finally pick an American gentleman who had an international licence. He did not have a test booked at the time but as he was not far from test standard I told him it was a good experience ready for his test. The pupil was only used to one hour lessons normally at 7am, this day he had the day off, so he was ideal.

Picked up the pupil at 8 am and I drove down to the test centre, because of traffic we arrived early so I parked round the corner and I ran through what the SE was doing. IE assessing my ability to teach and to pretend she was not there.

We arrived 10 minutes before my time and went into the waiting room the SE came out and introduced her self when out side and my pupil got in the car, I made the joke not to drive off as it was a long way to walk home, the SE laughed and we stood outside the Ipswich test center she asked me how many lessons he had so far and I informed her only 7 hours. She then asked me what subject I was doing today, Turn in the Road. At this point she said what other subject and had not given it any thought before so I decided on the spot to say the Mirrors as this is an old favourit of theirs as well as putting the hand brake on after taking it out of gear the wrong way round.

We both got in the car I was not feeling nervous because I was going to just do a normal lesson and her grade was her grade as long as I get a four then I was happy. So I alway have a hand out as well as a book for the pupil to ensure they don't forget! So I went through my records to see what he and done on the last lesson and asked him if had done any private practice which he said he had but his car was too big.

I then said, as you know from the end of the last lesson we are doing Turn in the Road, so off we went turning right out of the test centre and out of the area towards the large ravens wood roundabout askng his questions on the way like what is the speed of the road and when he told me the correct answer I ask him how he knows as he replys I extend his knowledge by saying if you were not sure what the speed of the road was you can look into a side road and if that says 30 mph then you know your road is a different speed.

We arrived at the training area a narrow road which we were going to perform TIR and I took his photo of the manouver out of his pack and brief him on it speaking about the camber of the road and cutting the road into sections like half way across and three qualters across the road explaing where to look and why and what to do and when. I also pointed out that the road was narrow and that I picked this road because it was force him to go SLOW and move his hands quick and still have time to look before moving each time and as we cross the middle of the road forwards and backwards. I had planned only to let him do it 3 times, FULL talk through, correcting any error and the second time I wanted him to try and do the manouver with out me touching the pedals or saying anything making it a game. On the third time I said well done as I did after each go and said for this final time YOUR on you own now as if I was not in the car but I was ofcourse on hand if it went all wrong. We had a few jokes on the way between each go. We drove back to the test center again asking questions and expanding his knowledge along the way.

During the TIR we had a laugh can not remember what were laughing about but I could hear the SE also laughing in the back of the car, I had forgot she was in the car as I was in normal full flow of explaining how to make the car go slow.
On arrival at the test centre my pupil speaks to the SE as she asks him to wait in the building, SE then gets into the drivers seat and said the she was very impress with the repor I had with the pupil as I was very business like but relaxed and I made learning fun but not over friendly.

She asked me what I expected my result to be, I said that I would prefer not to say and just wait for her result.

To which she revealed my result and then asked if it was what I was hoping for, I said yes and showed my result to the pupil when he got back into the car. My pupil took his FIRST test on November 5th and PASSED he got Turn in the road on his test!!

My result did not sink in for two days!!

Any questions send me a personal message.
p.s. I hope this is ok.

#17 29-11-11 19:21:59

graham121150
Verified Member
Website

Did my 3rd check test yesterday morning with Catherine Wilson at Chalfont Drive in Nottingham and got a 5, I am over the moon following my previous grade 4's. It's great to know I'm improving!

Chose role play with a disqualified driver, did no specific preparation although I have 2 disqualified drivers I'm currently teaching so that was my preparation.

Wasn't too nervous, more weirdly excited! Catherine (SE) was brilliant, I like roleplay as I can look the examiner in the eye. Started with a recap picking at pupils prior experience, set my objective, did a 10 minute assessment run (during which had a casual chit chat), 10 minute evaluation, then 30ish minutes of remedial work finishing with one quick turn in the road to overview the pupils maneuvering. I tried to give a handout on IAM/RoSPA as part of motivating the pupil towards continuing their driver education but she blatantly refused to take them (playing the role of a pupil who had no interest whatsoever in that!).

Main faults were :
Following distance (it was raining too)
Stopping too close to vehicle ahead
Weak mirrors and blindspots
Speeding (slightly)
Pulling halfway out of T-junctions then stopping in middle of road
Speed inappropriate for gaps

Got a 6 for identification, 5 for analysis, 5 for remedial.

Catherine's debrief was very useful, here's a bit of a summary :

She described it as a 'high 5' and her only criticism was I pitched the level of instruction a bit wrong. I tried to analyse/remedy EVERYTHING (ie: not using parking brake, arms crossing steering, not using 10-2, cut a cycle lane slightly). This was too much and would make an experienced driver demoralised, I should mention these elements of the drive briefly, then shelf them for a later time. Analyse/Remedy the main SAFETY faults (following distance etc...) but don't overwhelm them with picky little details. I was being too picky.

As a consequence I spent too long waffling at the side of the road and had to cut my route short as we had less time to drive (I wanted to use a dual carriageway but had to cut that out as I ran out of time).

Oh, and my questions were too intrusive and personal (ie: why were you disqualified?) as someone who may have been disqualified for death by dangerous driving is not going to want to talk about it.

She particularly praised my identification so I was chuffed to bits. I got some great advice off this forum, especially from reading previous check test write ups.

I'm so happy, especially as I can see it won't take much work to turn this 5 into a legendary 6... maybe next time!  big_smile big_smile

I cannot stand her, as for pointing everything out, if  you don't you will get marked down for it.
I only  got a five on my last check test. Because I did not do a full fix on something that crop't up. said we will look at that on next lesson.             .......Some years ago now, I did roll play with her doing dis driver as you did. I was ready to bin her out of the car. And yes I all ways want to know why they were disqualified. She is very wrong on that, you could be getting in with a mass murderer. She gave me a 3, I complained, She then went of for retraining. Her boss was at BSM when I was.

Graham

#18 07-02-12 08:01:17

Andrew lefthandseat
Verified Member

Thanks Rob, write-up v. useful, and a good result!

#19 07-02-12 21:22:24

finch

I have found her to always be professional and give good feedback and as you have stated there was a failing in your teaching so perhaps you might need to be a little more reflective with your views and comments

Board footer